News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 02:18:24 PM
No clue, I just joined a month ago. I also deleted facebook/Twitter over a year ago. Youtube I don't even use an account. I didn't even vote in the midterms.

Who cares?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 01:05:19 PM
...Even on suggestions just involving redesignations, I never expected people to start responding with how it would cost $100,000 in signage..etc...

I will say, there's quite a number of people on here that I think would find all the costs of building a highway fascinating.  Many are concerned about what they see, but forget about what they don't see, or don't give a second thought to.  Many people will gripe about APLs and the size of the arrows because they cost a lot more than more traditional big green signage that's smaller (although they can never provide actual costs for either option). But they completely ignore things like should a narrow median have a concrete jersey barrier versus a guardrail, even though jersey barriers cost multiple times more than guardrail.  Or the end treatment of the guardrail, which modern, updated ones cost multiple times more than older, simpler designs.  Or the cost of a 30x36" sign, vs using a 24x30" sign.  Or drainage inlets and basins.  The list is endless.

I've tried in the past to show some of these costs based on bid results for various construction projects, but gave up when I realized people aren't concerned about what things cost; they just dislike a really large green sign.

formulanone

The only thing I am surprised at is how many people are into all the technical geographical/economic/political implications of fictional highways.

Our forum has lots of civil engineers, planners, DOT workers, history buffs, long-distance drivers, travelers, road warriors, driving enthusiasts, and those into transportation. We're not all here for quite the exact same reasons.

QuoteI thought roadgeeks would mainly be obsessed with the grid and building new highways than how feasible it would be. Even on suggestions just involving redesignations, I never expected people to start responding with how it would cost $100,000 in signage..etc.

How interesting would this place be if we all agreed? And there's many of us who aren't obsessed with The Grid because within any system, there's always exceptions. A lot of the stringent attitudes might have made sense 20+ years ago, but this land is not a giant flat rectangle and many folks get around without maps. The Grid makes sense from the standpoint of a predetermined example of Point A and Point B, which would be great if every town, city, hamlet, borough, township, and village were placed in alphabetical order.

The Grid gives people some order where they think it's needed, yet many states and most other countries do fine without it. Many of us have just let it go. There's a lot more people and communities to think of than shaving 10 minutes off my commute. We don't really live in a world where a suit and tie can tell us that our traffic / economic / social problems will be solved with 5 years and some bulldozers.

Lastly, some of us actually enjoy driving on some windy two-lane road for the thrill and beauty of it. I've lived in places where the road doesn't change direction for 30+ miles, and that's rarely held my enthusiasm for long.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2022, 02:39:13 PM
...Even on suggestions just involving redesignations, I never expected people to start responding with how it would cost $100,000 in signage..etc...

I will say, there's quite a number of people on here that I think would find all the costs of building a highway fascinating.  Many are concerned about what they see, but forget about what they don't see, or don't give a second thought to.  Many people will gripe about APLs and the size of the arrows because they cost a lot more than more traditional big green signage that's smaller (although they can never provide actual costs for either option). But they completely ignore things like should a narrow median have a concrete jersey barrier versus a guardrail, even though jersey barriers cost multiple times more than guardrail.  Or the end treatment of the guardrail, which modern, updated ones cost multiple times more than older, simpler designs.  Or the cost of a 30x36" sign, vs using a 24x30" sign.  Or drainage inlets and basins.  The list is endless.

I've tried in the past to show some of these costs based on bid results for various construction projects, but gave up when I realized people aren't concerned about what things cost; they just dislike a really large green sign.

It’s always easier to have critics who know it all. Even in the restaurant industry, for example, I used to always think that in large crowds an establishment should open all tables and not have closed sections as many would have you wait fifteen minutes for a table when several are available at the time.  Then when I went to work in a restaurant I saw why it’s done that way.

In order to have a full dining room you must be staffed to handle it all.  Sitting someone down and having them wait just for a staff member to acknowledge them even, is not that satisfying to the customer. It would be better to wait in the lobby until such a server is available then to give rotten service.  That’s why Dennys sucks on graveyard.  Their management believes no tables should be closed. However, some of go by looks and don’t see the whole picture.

Of course most upper management thinks it’s real easy to operate the lowest part of the company, especially since most CEOs never worked themselves to the top. Plus add cameras and cyber stuff with micro managing and it creates more know it alls on top.  IMO, big wigs are the biggest critics of working class people because they really don’t know the whole business.  The math skills is only half of it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 02:26:33 PM
I'm from NYS, and didn't like Kathy or Zeldin, nor do I even understand most of how the Senate/House works. I mean if one politician promised they were going to add the long island expressway to I-80 or something, that may make me go out and vote for them, but then if they broke that promise, that should be automatic impeachment and blacklisting from running for any political position anywhere ever again.

I reiterate my same response.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

I thought roadgeeks would ...

Your expectations are kind of like expecting all science nerds to be Star Trek nuts.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 02:59:06 PM

Your expectations are kind of like expecting all science nerds to be Star Trek nuts.

Before I found this forum I figured most people in the road community were into driving stuff like mountain roads and old highway alignments.  Turns out the community is more diverse than I originally suspected and it was just the crowd I was running with that was into the same things as me.  I suspect MMM also had some preconceived notions that the road community would be homogenized towards grid perfectionism. 

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 02:59:06 PM

Before I found this forum I figured most people in the road community were into driving stuff like mountain roads and old highway alignments.  Turns out the community is more diverse than I originally suspected and it was just the crowd I was running with that was into the same things as me.  I suspect MMM also had some preconceived notions that the road community would be homogenized towards grid perfectionism. 

When I first joined I didn’t realize politics would be an issue until I mentioned a name of a local radio host. Apparently one bipolar user on here was from my area and knew the guy I was talking about and started to imply that dislike of toll roads was a Republican statement and he was not that. In other words my post was about toll roads.

However at the time I worked with some social class people who believed that the rich white folks and GOP were pro toll and Leftists were anti toll.  So I then realized the user was full of shit.

Anyway, that is when I learned politics was even here and you have to not say certain names or issues.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 02:16:00 PM
What is the old saying that used to get threads locked?  Was it "Trump is a mezzanine?"

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2022, 03:13:29 PM
That is when I learned politics was even here and you have to not say certain names or issues.

Unless you call that person a xenophobic tushy jester.  Then it's OK.

Alternatively, it's all |1|'s fault.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 07:32:44 PM
Sarcasm is really difficult to detect in print format...

With one exception: when the sarcastic post links directly to your non-sarcastic opinion:

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 03:20:20 PM

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 03:49:13 PM

With one exception: when the sarcastic post links directly to your non-sarcastic opinion:

That was intended to link to the post by |1| in between my own two.  Did that not happen correctly?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 03:49:13 PM

That was intended to link to the post by |1| in between my own two.  Did that not happen correctly?

It linked correctly, but I could still see your post on the subject without so much as having to scroll down!

kphoger

By the way, if you scroll even farther down/up (depending on your settings), you'll see that RGT hates allanland.  Note the misspelling, but also note the historical context in which it was posted.  Should this disqualify him from running for office?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 02:26:33 PM
I'm from NYS, and didn't like Kathy or Zeldin, nor do I even understand most of how the Senate/House works. I mean if one politician promised they were going to add the long island expressway to I-80 or something, that may make me go out and vote for them, but then if they broke that promise, that should be automatic impeachment and blacklisting from running for any political position anywhere ever again.
Most politically educated person
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 03:59:21 PM
By the way, if you scroll even farther down/up (depending on your settings), you'll see that RGT hates allanland.  Note the misspelling, but also note the historical context in which it was posted.  Should this disqualify him from running for office?

First we should find out if it was a misspelling, or if he was referring to another place entirely. Hopefully he handles this hot button issue correctly with his political future hanging in the balances! 

kphoger

I think it was actually a racial slur.  Cancel him.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Misspelling should not disqualify me. Just look at the intellengence of some of the politicians running for office today, misspelling is the least of my concerns.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2022, 04:13:05 PM
Misspelling should not disqualify me. Just look at the intellengence of some of the politicians running for office today, misspelling is the least of my concerns.

RGT, you had an easy path to get out of this by saying you were talking about a different place entirely. But now, I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to come back from this.  :paranoid:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 04:11:21 PM
I think it was actually a racial slur.  Banish him.

FIFY, send him for the long walk upon the Cursed Earth.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 04:18:08 PM

RGT, you had an easy path to get out of this by saying you were talking about a different place entirely. But now, I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to come back from this.  :paranoid:
I will say that I made an honest mistake and that I will apologize to the good people of Alanland.

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2022, 04:37:38 PM

I will say that I made an honest mistake and that I will apologize to the good people of Alanland.
Apologize only to the good people?

MultiMillionMiler

Yep, people on here are really too serious, it's even showing on this thread. Just like when I made the statement about Oklahoma's horrible Healthcare, which is true:
https://topagency.com/report/best-worst-states-to-live-in/

Everyone flipped out immediately.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on December 05, 2022, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2022, 04:37:38 PM

I will say that I made an honest mistake and that I will apologize to the goat people of Alanland.
Apologize only to the goat people?

FIFY you both, try to keep up. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 04:44:34 PM
Yep, people on here are really too serious, it's even showing on this thread. Just like when I made the statement about Oklahoma's horrible Healthcare, which is true:
https://topagency.com/report/best-worst-states-to-live-in/

Everyone flipped out immediately.
As a general rule of thumb, most rural southern states will not have very good health outcomes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.