News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2022, 02:39:13 PM
Many people will gripe about APLs and the size of the arrows because they cost a lot more than more traditional big green signage that's smaller (although they can never provide actual costs for either option).

I mean, I work for a sign company, so I could provide what our price would be. But a) it'd probably be a lot higher than the actual cost because our processes are optimized for smaller signs and b) I'm not getting paid to work up the quote :P

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 04:44:34 PM
Yep, people on here are really too serious, it's even showing on this thread. Just like when I made the statement about Oklahoma's horrible Healthcare, which is true:
https://topagency.com/report/best-worst-states-to-live-in/

Everyone flipped out immediately.

People didn't flip out because you said Oklahoma had horrible healthcare (nobody would dispute that, least of all the Oklahomans, who know we have horrible everything), people flipped out because you said you were surprised we had doctor's offices, which is a ridiculous thing to say.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MultiMillionMiler

It was an expression, still ridiculous for everyone else to flip out over choice of words.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2022, 05:01:03 PM
As a general rule of thumb, most rural southern states will not have very good health outcomes.

Yes, but what is the South?   :awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 05:18:07 PM
It was an expression, still ridiculous for everyone else to flip out over choice of words.

What does it feel like to have no remorse for the things that you do and have all criticism just bounce right off you?  I've always wanted to know what that felt like for a day or two to have that level of self assurance. 

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 05:21:52 PM

What does it feel like to have no remorse for the things that you do and have all criticism just bounce right off you?  I've always wanted to know what that felt like for a day or two to have that level of self assurance.

"Remorse" and "self assurance" for an improperly worded internet post? I have more important things to focus my energy on. This is the exact thing roadman was talking about. Making a moral issue out of the most trivial things. Should I print out all my 960 posts so I know which 10 or 20 demand repentance and should bring to Confession?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 05:26:51 PM

"Remorse" and "self assurance" for an improperly worded internet post? I have more important things to focus my energy on. This is the exact thing roadman was talking about. Making a moral issue out of the most trivial things. Should I print out all my 960 posts so I know which 10 or 20 demand repentance and should bring to Confession?

Somehow I doubt that considering how often you are on the forum solely to defend the things you say. 

We do have our own forum deity in the form of Goat Jesus you can "try"  seek repentance from.  Although, you strike me more as someone who would fit in better at the Church of Wallethub. 

Max Rockatansky

Are you sure that you aren't a devote follower of Wallethubism?  All the things you are saying sound way too similar to a certain "flat lander"  to be a coincidence.

Please expound on "manspreading"  for us in the crowd who may not be familiar with the term.

Scott5114

If you don't want to be ridiculed, don't be ridiculous.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 05:31:53 PM

Somehow I doubt that considering how often you are on the forum solely to defend the things you say. 

We do have our own forum deity in the form of Goat Jesus you can "try"  seek repentance from.  Although, you strike me more as someone who would fit in better at the Church of Wallethub.

I have said before it doesn't take as long as you think to make a mere 23 posts in 1 day. That's not even 2 an hour during the daytime even if there were no weekends. And I never attacked anyone who was against my fictional highway plans. That's what the whole purpose of a forum is for, but what gets me is the over-moralization and dramatization of internet posts. Even cancel culture, as ridiculous as it is, generally applies to public figures who are read by millions of people, not someone on a road forum where 2 or 3 people from a specific state may ever see your posts. If someone said "long island is a heroin dump shithole full of weirdos" I am not going to take offense at that despite living there. So don't know why people got so sensitive at my posts about Oklahoma (as an example).

hotdogPi

I'm pretty much on the forum all the time because my job is work from home and I check this forum during work every 20 minutes or so. While I was in school, I would often check during class. Because of this, I have about 20% of my time since joining in 2013 as being considered online – 744 days. My post average per day? 3.667. You can always read something and choose not to post.

It's gone up recently, and I feel like I need to keep it down, but I don't know if it's actually an issue or not.

Most recent 1000 posts: March 9; 271 days; average 3.69
Most recent 100 posts: November 21; 14 days; average 7
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 05:41:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 05:31:53 PM

I have said before it doesn't take as long as you think to make a mere 23 posts in 1 day. That's not even 2 an hour during the daytime even if there were no weekends. And I never attacked anyone who was against my fictional highway plans. That's what the whole purpose of a forum is for, but what gets me is the over-moralization and dramatization of internet posts. Even cancel culture, as ridiculous as it is, generally applies to public figures who are read by millions of people, not someone on a road forum where 2 or 3 people from a specific state may ever see your posts. If someone said "long island is a heroin dump shithole full of weirdos" I am not going to take offense at that despite living there. So don't know why people got so sensitive at my posts about Oklahoma (as an example).

You're the one who wants credibility in this community but has done nothing to earn it.  Saying things like this and derailing legitimate threads aren't going to endear you to anyone.  But that's why I asked a couple posts prior, how does it feel to have an unflappable level of self assurance in the face of an entire community against you?

GaryV

... And I never attacked anyone who was against my fictional highway plans. That's what the whole purpose of a forum is for ...
If the whole purpose of this forum was for fictional plans, I'd never be here. My primary interest is historical, with some other lesser interests. Others are all about traffic signals or signs. Others about road pictures and travel plans.

Fictional is just a small part of the forum. If I recall, it doesn't even appear until you become a member. It's not that important to many of us.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on December 05, 2022, 05:50:56 PM
... And I never attacked anyone who was against my fictional highway plans. That's what the whole purpose of a forum is for ...
If the whole purpose of this forum was for fictional plans, I'd never be here. My primary interest is historical, with some other lesser interests. Others are all about traffic signals or signs. Others about road pictures and travel plans.

Fictional is just a small part of the forum. If I recall, it doesn't even appear until you become a member. It's not that important to many of us.

In my case I co-admin a history oriented road page.  Even though it's a hobby page I've dumped probably a couple thousand hours into the research aspect just for California.  I know that I'm not the only one interested in that kind of thing given Gribblenation has three other admins and I frequently collaborate with cahighways (lately with the caroutebyroute podcast).  So yeah, I guess it would be fair to say that I do take the hobby of roads and highways serious.

kphoger

Should I print out all my 960 posts so I know which 10 or 20 demand repentance and should bring to Confession?

Yes.  Laser jet printers are preferable to ink jet printers for this purpose, to reduce the amount of smudging onto your highlighters.  Even so, it's best to let the pages dry for a couple of hours before going over them.

Quote from: GaryV on December 05, 2022, 05:50:56 PM

Yeah, fictional highway plans are most definitely not the whole purpose of this forum.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MultiMillionMiler

A whole community against me LOL maybe the same 12 people have been replying to topics I posted in, out of 5000 members.

I only post in fictional highways mostly, so I don't see the problem.

@1

I've posted at red lights, at 5 am when I have insomnia, its not that big of a deal.

@Max

That video was about some guy taking up to much space with his legs on a plane, yet people argue endlessly about it in 100+ comment long chains, writing half a page long comments about the most trivial issues that don't even affect them. The fact that things like this even make the news is unbelievable. At least I am interested in driving/roads so of course I am going to spend more time and put more effort into this forum, being the only forum I post on as of now. I don't write paragraphs arguing endlessly about dozens of random trivial news stories/topics that 99 percent of the public don't give a shit about. That fact that you bring terms like remorse and self assurance into this only further proves roadman's point. Fritz owls thread has gone on for 300 pages, so whats the big deal with me posting only fictional interstate highway plans, that are also a bit more logical as a bonus?

Max Rockatansky

So, fair to say in your book that manspreading is no big thing?  Do you regularly manspread?

Scott5114

I have said before it doesn't take as long as you think to make a mere 23 posts in 1 day.

It takes a lot longer to make 23 good posts than 23 shitposts, though. And if you have the time to be making 23 posts, chances are most of them aren't very good.

My favorite posters on this forum are the ones that post new stuff I didn't know already. That kind of post is usually so lengthy and well-researched that there is just not enough time in the day to get 23 of them put together. Maybe that's because it requires lots of research digging up old maps and newspaper articles, or maybe that's because it involves going down to an active construction site and taking a bunch of pictures.

If I wanted more half-assed posts with kneejerk opinions in them, I can write those myself.

MultiMillionMiler

I rarely fly at all. The last time I flew before my charlotte/fury325 trip was 9 years ago. No, it is not a news worthy topic. The atrocious airline customer service by the airlines themselves? Maybe, but not videos like that.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 06:04:46 PM
I have said before it doesn't take as long as you think to make a mere 23 posts in 1 day.

It takes a lot longer to make 23 good posts than 23 shitposts, though. And if you have the time to be making 23 posts, chances are most of them aren't very good.

My favorite posters on this forum are the ones that post new stuff I didn't know already. That kind of post is usually so lengthy and well-researched that there is just not enough time in the day to get 23 of them put together. Maybe that's because it requires lots of research digging up old maps and newspaper articles, or maybe that's because it involves going down to an active construction site and taking a bunch of pictures.

If I wanted more half-assed posts with kneejerk opinions in them, I can write those myself.

A little high of a standard for fictional highways don't you think? I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting. Is there something wrong with drawing numbers on a map cause it looks good visually? After all, that is the counter argument for preserving natural areas and not building new highways, because the area without the strip of roadway "looks nicer".

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 06:13:13 PM

A little high of a standard for fictional highways don't you think? I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting. Is there something wrong with drawing numbers on a map cause it looks good visually? After all, that is the counter argument for preserving natural areas and not building new highways, because the area without the strip of roadway "looks nicer".

I don't give a flying fuck about fictional highways. If it was up to me, I'd ban anyone with a majority of their posts there. It's not the main point of the forum.

JoePCool14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2022, 02:39:13 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 01:05:19 PM
...Even on suggestions just involving redesignations, I never expected people to start responding with how it would cost $100,000 in signage..etc...

I will say, there's quite a number of people on here that I think would find all the costs of building a highway fascinating.  Many are concerned about what they see, but forget about what they don't see, or don't give a second thought to.  Many people will gripe about APLs and the size of the arrows because they cost a lot more than more traditional big green signage that's smaller (although they can never provide actual costs for either option). But they completely ignore things like should a narrow median have a concrete jersey barrier versus a guardrail, even though jersey barriers cost multiple times more than guardrail.  Or the end treatment of the guardrail, which modern, updated ones cost multiple times more than older, simpler designs.  Or the cost of a 30x36" sign, vs using a 24x30" sign.  Or drainage inlets and basins.  The list is endless.

I've tried in the past to show some of these costs based on bid results for various construction projects, but gave up when I realized people aren't concerned about what things cost; they just dislike a really large green sign.

I'm on my way to becoming a licensed PE, I know a decent bit about safety features and stormwater management, but that doesn't stop me from whining about ugly signage.  :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting.

That's not true at all. Sure, there are some outlandish proposals, but many of them are plausible from a design perspective and may just be constrained by financial, environmental, or other factors. Perhaps you'd do well to read some fictional threads besides your own and Fritz Owl's before making such a disrespectful generalization.

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 05:59:13 PM
yet people argue endlessly about it in 100+ comment long chains, writing half a page long comments about the most trivial issues that don't even affect them

Says the guy who can't stop going on about highways having inappropriate numbers on the little blue signs.
Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 06:29:57 PM
I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting.

That's not true at all. Sure, there are some outlandish proposals, but many of them are plausible from a design perspective and may just be constrained by financial, environmental, or other factors. Perhaps you'd do well to read some fictional threads besides your own and Fritz Owl's before making such a disrespectful generalization.

Disrespectful to who? I wasn't referring to any person (maybe the government).

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 07:22:33 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 06:20:36 PM

I don't give a flying fuck about fictional highways. If it was up to me, I'd ban anyone with a majority of their posts there. It's not the main point of the forum.

What about the "off topic"?

What about it?

Basically the idea behind the forum structure is that we get to know each other by talking about roads–the ones that actually exist in real life. And then we have the fictional and off-topic and mass transit sections to talk to those same people about other things and get to know them better. If someone had a majority of their posts in off-topic that is a sign they are mostly here to use this site as a social media platform, which it's not. It's a forum about roads.

I used to be fairly active on Wikipedia, enough that I'm an administrator there too. At the time I was active, it was fairly common for people to run for administrator and get voted down because too many of their edits were to the back-of-house policy discussion forums and not enough to the actual encyclopedia articles. The argument was that if the majority of their edits were not contributing to the actual product the site existed to create, did the site actually benefit from having them around at all?

I ask the same question of those who post only to fictional highways or off-topic.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 07:22:33 PM
BTW, does discussing designing a new interchange for a highway count as fictional? Because new ramps may potentially be there that weren't before. (Only asking because most of my first few topics were moved to fictional even if the roadway already existed and was just being renumbered with no new roadway being built).

If was designed by anyone other than someone working for the organization that owns the road, it's probably fictional.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.