Remember when __ was __? (1 roadgeek + 1 non-)

Started by kphoger, December 28, 2022, 09:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I remember when I-4 in Orlando area was more rural than suburban and there was no choke point between US 192 and US 27.

I remember when Busch Gardens Tampa Bay was not a theme park, but a bird garden and safari with a couple attractions including a train ride.  You paid your admission at the parking gate, with its parking adjacent to the park and not across the street like it is now.  Oh yes the escalator up to the now defunct brewery of Anheiser Busch that was in the middle of the park.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2022, 06:39:19 AM
Quote from: Takumi on December 28, 2022, 08:42:10 PM
Remember when restaurants had smoking sections?

My mom was working at the Cracker Barrel in Chester when they had to remove theirs by law.

I remember for awhile the law in Virginia said you could only have a smoking section in a restaurant if it was physically separated from the rest of the restaurant and had its own ventilation system. The last time I was in a restaurant with a smoking area was around 2012, at a pub in Short Pump.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2022, 11:24:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 04:30:01 PM

Quote from: kkt on December 28, 2022, 04:19:36 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 03:09:16 PM
1.  Remember when FYAs were something everyone, including on this forum, hated?

Now it seems like most people are in favor of them.  The hatred has shifted from the FYA to the HAWK instead.

2.  Remember when Amazon was an online bookstore?

As I type this post, I'm wearing a pair of pants made by Amazon.

Made by, or sold by?

Made by.  They are Amazon Essentials brand.

That doesn't necessarily mean they made them, though.

According to this, which is admittedly from 2019, Amazon Essentials clothing seems to be manufactured in a number of contracted factories in Antananarivo.

Still, I suppose it could just be the difference between "made for" and "made by."

Yeah, I mean, by that argument, my Lee jeans aren't necessarily made by Lee either, considering they contract with other factories.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on December 29, 2022, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2022, 06:39:19 AM

My mom was working at the Cracker Barrel in Chester when they had to remove theirs by law.

I remember for awhile the law in Virginia said you could only have a smoking section in a restaurant if it was physically separated from the rest of the restaurant and had its own ventilation system. The last time I was in a restaurant with a smoking area was around 2012, at a pub in Short Pump.

Kentucky doesn't have a statewide smoking ban or, to my knowledge, even a law requiring ventilation for smoking and non-smoking sections to be separate. Of course, given Kentucky's history as a tobacco-producing state, there are some oddities in Kentucky statutes, including classifying smokers as a protected class for employment matters. It's not legal to advertise job vacancies that specify non-smokers, even if you are an entity that works against drug abuse and offers smoking cessation courses/materials.

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 29, 2022, 07:41:18 AM

I remember stopping at a Hardee's in Kenansville, North Carolina, in 1996. That's farming country and there are still some tobacco farmers around. The Hardee's had one table designated as non-smoking, so I sat there. You would have thought I was a toad rapist or something the way the locals looked at me when I sat at that particular table.

What was even the point of having a non-smoking table, if it was surrounded by a smoking section?

I remember being surprised several years ago going to a Gold Star Chili location in Maysville that allowed smoking, and the smell of smoke was just as strong in the non-smoking section as it was the smoking section.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2022, 02:12:54 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2022, 11:24:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 04:30:01 PM

Quote from: kkt on December 28, 2022, 04:19:36 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 03:09:16 PM
1.  Remember when FYAs were something everyone, including on this forum, hated?

Now it seems like most people are in favor of them.  The hatred has shifted from the FYA to the HAWK instead.

2.  Remember when Amazon was an online bookstore?

As I type this post, I'm wearing a pair of pants made by Amazon.

Made by, or sold by?

Made by.  They are Amazon Essentials brand.

That doesn't necessarily mean they made them, though.

According to this, which is admittedly from 2019, Amazon Essentials clothing seems to be manufactured in a number of contracted factories in Antananarivo.

Still, I suppose it could just be the difference between "made for" and "made by."

Yeah, I mean, by that argument, my Lee jeans aren't necessarily made by Lee either, considering they contract with other factories.

It's interesting that companies get a certain leeway in this respect, though, isn't it? If my aunt Millie said she had made some cookies, and it turns out that she had paid someone else to do it, I think that people would immediately dispute her claim.

As you point out, though, that's not necessarily what happens with companies. I wonder if it's because companies are a more abstract entity than individual people, or if it's not the companies themselves that are saying that they are manufacturing the items, but simply letting that be implied? Expectation might also play a role as well, since I know that Amazon doesn't manufacture anything, but I think, whether mistakenly or not, that Lee probably does.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 29, 2022, 03:38:24 PM
It's interesting that companies get a certain leeway in this respect, though, isn't it? If my aunt Millie said she had made some cookies, and it turns out that she had paid someone else to do it, I think that people would immediately dispute her claim.

As you point out, though, that's not necessarily what happens with companies. I wonder if it's because companies are a more abstract entity than individual people ...

Right.  A company isn't a person.

When your aunt says she made a batch of cookies, you assume she used her own oven and knowhow at the very least–and probably either her own recipe, someone else's recipe she's trying out, or a brand of box mix that she trusts–and furthermore that the batch has passed her own standards of quality, or else she wouldn't be offering them to you.

When a company puts its label on a product, the only assumption I make is that it passed the company's own standards of quality for that particular line of products.  I make no assumptions about where it was manufactured, who designed it, or even necessarily how it compares to other product lines sold by the same company.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hunty2022

Remember when US 33 through Greene County was 2 lanes?

Remember when each Big 4 Sport League didn't exist and was split?
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Big John

Remember when Interstate shields were not neutered.

Remember pre-printed airline destination tags.

roadman65

I remember when US 15 in Gettysburg was a Super Two.

I remember when Hersheypark charged no admission to enter the park ( rides were purchased in ticket booths like carnivals and no unlimited) and the Chocolate Factory offered tours instead of the Chocolate World Attraction.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

I remember when the Allouez-Ashwaubenon Bridge, WI 172, opened and I could get away with riding my bicycle across it to Bay Park Square.

Big John

Quote from: skluth on December 29, 2022, 06:17:53 PM
I remember when the Allouez-Ashwaubenon Bridge, WI 172, opened and I could get away with riding my bicycle across it to Bay Park Square.
Bay Park Square was just Montgomery Ward when the bridge opened.

Henry

Remember when many exits in CA were unnumbered?

Remember when manual transmissions in cars were 4- and 5-speeds, and automatic transmissions were 3- and 4-speeds?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on December 29, 2022, 07:13:52 PM
Remember when many exits in CA were unnumbered?

The Ojai Freeway must be Pepperidge Farms:

IMG_5052 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5067 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5080 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

TheHighwayMan3561

When Minnesota banned indoor smoking about 20 years ago, there was a clause excepting smoking as part of a theater performance. So some disgruntled townie bars in rural Minnesota tried planning "theater nights" in their establishments to get around the ban. Needless to say they didn't get away with it for long.

The Perkins I grew up near had a smoking section. I was still young then, but I think they removed it before indoor smoking was formally banned in the state.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on December 29, 2022, 11:36:21 AM
Quote from: kurumi on December 28, 2022, 01:35:16 PM
1. Remember when US 1 was red?

2. Remember when Bill Gates was (mainly) reviled by the left and well-regarded by the right?

I've always reviled Bill Gates, regardless. I think you may be mistaking 'liberals' for the left, anyway. Also, Steve Jobs and Tim Cook suck, too. Totally ruined Unix.  :poke:

I dunno if they totally ruined it. The shell is still there, so you can work around most of the kludges Apple introduced. When a friend of mine was forced to use OS X at work, the batshit insane GUI motivated her to learn bash, and I would periodically send her care packages in the form of Perl scripts to help her actually get her job done. When she left that job, the trauma of that experience ended up converting her into a Linux user (I guess once you get a taste of Unix shell you can't ever really go back to an environment without it).

I actually saw a study recently that said that Linux use is up to 40% among software developers, so Unix is alive and well, even if OS X is in the toilet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Remember when manual transmissions in cars were 4- and 5-speeds, and automatic transmissions were 3- and 4-speeds?

I grew up in the 90s, so almost every manual was a 5-speed by then, and 6-speeds were only seen in a handful of sports cars. Most automatics were 4-speed, with some companies (Toyota, GM) keeping 3-speeds around until 2001.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on December 29, 2022, 09:20:35 PM

I grew up in the 90s, so almost every manual was a 5-speed by then, and 6-speeds were only seen in a handful of sports cars. Most automatics were 4-speed, with some companies (Toyota, GM) keeping 3-speeds around until 2001.

Remember when two speed Power Glide style transmissions was something common in the auto industry?

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2022, 09:32:30 PM

Remember when two speed Power Glide style transmissions was something common in the auto industry?

No (even my dad's oldest car as a kid, a 1964.5 Mustang, had a 3-speed), but Powerglides are still used in drag racing to this day.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Otto Yamamoto

I dunno if they totally ruined it. The shell is still there, so you can work around most of the kludges Apple introduced. When a friend of mine was forced to use OS X at work, the batshit insane GUI motivated her to learn bash, and I would periodically send her care packages in the form of Perl scripts to help her actually get her job done. When she left that job, the trauma of that experience ended up converting her into a Linux user (I guess once you get a taste of Unix shell you can't ever really go back to an environment without it).

I actually saw a study recently that said that Linux use is up to 40% among software developers, so Unix is alive and well, even if OS X is in the toilet.
[/quote]

Linux is pretty tight these days, it's been my daily driver for 20 years now. I use a Chromebook for work, it's spiffy and fast.

kphoger

Remember when roadgeeking was something nobody else was interested in?

Then came the internet.

Remember when research was done at the library?

Then came the internet.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

I always felt recreational driving was definitely a more common thing before the Internet era.  Or rather, a lot more normal people did things like overland road trips that relied on things like maps and not always taking an Interstate. 

I don't feel until maybe this last decade that the internet has truly replaced things library research.  There are plenty of databases now, but it was close to impossible to find decent sources to cite even a decade ago.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2022, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 29, 2022, 07:41:18 AM
I remember stopping at a Hardee's in Kenansville, North Carolina, in 1996. That's farming country and there are still some tobacco farmers around. The Hardee's had one table designated as non-smoking, so I sat there. You would have thought I was a toad rapist or something the way the locals looked at me when I sat at that particular table.

What was even the point of having a non-smoking table, if it was surrounded by a smoking section?

I assume (this is only a guess) that there was probably a state law requiring a non-smoking "section" and that designating one table was their way of complying with it while subtly giving the State the middle finger.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

skluth

Quote from: Big John on December 29, 2022, 06:24:51 PM
Quote from: skluth on December 29, 2022, 06:17:53 PM
Bay Park Square was just Montgomery Ward when the bridge opened.

You're right. I was riding my bike from Allouez to the Prangeway store in the Green Bay Plaza at Military and Mason where I had a temp job for a few weeks but I could have taken the Mason St Bridge for that so I used what I thought was a good reference landmark. I honestly don't remember when Bay Park Square went in but it was there when I got out of the Navy in 1985.

1995hoo

My first car, a 1977 Ford Granada, had what in practical terms was a four on the floor, but the gears were marked as three speeds plus an "overdrive" gear. For all realistic purposes, it was a 4-speed manual. Every car I've had since then has been either a 5- or 6-speed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 30, 2022, 11:33:27 AM

My first car, a 1977 Ford Granada, had what in practical terms was a four on the floor, but the gears were marked as three speeds plus an "overdrive" gear. For all realistic purposes, it was a 4-speed manual. Every car I've had since then has been either a 5- or 6-speed.
I can do you one better. I remember reading an article about the C5 Corvette that came out in 1983, but as an '84 model, and it had what was called a "4+3" transmission. It was named that not because it had 7 speeds despite the designation suggesting otherwise, but there was an overdrive for the last three gears. Even I was confused by the name until I sat in one equipped with such, and looked down at the shifter. I think it was late in the same generation that the Corvette would get a 6-speed (and probably become the first American car ever to have one), because it also received a facelift around that time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.