News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 28, 2020, 05:42:23 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2020, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 27, 2020, 04:31:30 PM
Are there any plans to complete the AR 530 gap between AR 11 and AR 35?

Eventually. Maybe when I-530 is rerouted.

And when the gap is filled, it will be with a 2-lane facility built in a 4-lane right-of-way until/if I-69 becomes a reality and generates the traffic necessary to expand it.

Depends how much of it becomes I-530
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

US71

Quote from: I-39 on November 04, 2020, 11:46:21 AM
Looks like the transportation sales tax has passed.

https://www.4029tv.com/article/issue-one-passes-transportation-sales-tax-to-be-made-permanent/34567504#

Not as wide a margin as expected (was predicted 60/40) . I, for one, am disappointed it passed

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on November 04, 2020, 11:53:14 AM

https://www.4029tv.com/article/issue-one-passes-transportation-sales-tax-to-be-made-permanent/34567504#

Not as wide a margin as expected (was predicted 60/40) . I, for one, am disappointed it passed

I also voted against it.  Not that I don't think that we need the revenue directed towards the roads, but that it's permanent and there's no longer the need for them to justify their expenditures of this revenue or the speed in which projects are started/completed.  I would have been perfectly content for vote for another 10 year sunsetting tax like this past one was.  Always good for the light to shine every once in a while on how our money is spent.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 04, 2020, 05:07:42 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 04, 2020, 11:53:14 AM

I also voted against it.  Not that I don't think that we need the revenue directed towards the roads, but that it's permanent and there's no longer the need for them to justify their expenditures of this revenue or the speed in which projects are started/completed.  I would have been perfectly content for vote for another 10 year sunsetting tax like this past one was.  Always good for the light to shine every once in a while on how our money is spent.

As I think I said earlier. have a permanent tax lends itself to too many pet projects.  When Obama passed his road plan, I witnessed several roads that were "improved" when they didn't need it, and others needing help that were ignored.

roadman65

Where is US 63 now south of Jonesboro?

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2019/06/003_USRN-Applications-Spring-Meeting-2019_AR-GA_Part-1.pdf

Found this application for realignment. Heard through the grapevine it's been approved.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Tomahawkin

ARDOT! Why are there 1/2 into to 1 inch gaps in the concrete segments every 30 feet on IH 55 In the right handed lanes??? Please address this issue, it has been a problem since the spring! OT I love the speed limit increase

IMO, tolls on 40, 49 or 55 (only 1 interstate) would address the Arkansas road infrastructure issue, even a 50 cent toll. I Have been a broken record on this since the days I Lived in Fayetteville 15 years ago. tolls in Florida, GA and TX have helped a lot on road highway funding

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 24, 2020, 11:04:00 AM
ARDOT! Why are there 1/2 into to 1 inch gaps in the concrete segments every 30 feet on IH 55 In the right handed lanes??? Please address this issue, it has been a problem since the spring! OT I love the speed limit increase

IMO, tolls on 40, 49 or 55 (only 1 interstate) would address the Arkansas road infrastructure issue, even a 50 cent toll. I Have been a broken record on this since the days I Lived in Fayetteville 15 years ago. tolls in Florida, GA and TX have helped a lot on road highway funding

State Highway law currently forbids tolls. They just raise our taxes now in the name of roads.

Tomahawkin

Oh wow, I did not know that there are laws in Arkansas that bans tolls. I guess its the same way in both Mississippi and Alabama as well as Tennessee???

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 25, 2020, 12:28:27 AM
Oh wow, I did not know that there are laws in Arkansas that bans tolls. I guess its the same way in both Mississippi and Alabama as well as Tennessee???

I don't know about the other states.

mengelken

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2020, 10:50:18 AM
Where is US 63 now south of Jonesboro?

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2019/06/003_USRN-Applications-Spring-Meeting-2019_AR-GA_Part-1.pdf

Found this application for realignment. Heard through the grapevine it's been approved.

It runs concurrently with U.S. 49 from I-555 to I-40, then picks up concurrent with I-40 to the Hazen exit, then carries south from there.

The Ghostbuster

How well-signed is US 63 along its duplex with US 49? Unsurprisingly, Google Maps still shows US 63 following its 1999-2021 routing between Jonesboro and Hazen.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 25, 2022, 07:47:51 PM
How well-signed is US 63 along its duplex with US 49? Unsurprisingly, Google Maps still shows US 63 following its 1999-2021 routing between Jonesboro and Hazen.

62 basically "ends" at Exit 62 (62 West/East 180) and begins at I49 Exit 86 (62East, /AR 12 East/ 102 West)There are a few 62 shields along 49, but very few. There  more 71 shields than 62, but those are also hit n miss, 

Hey BUGO: what was that BS excuse ARDOT gave you about not posting multiplexes?

Road Hog

My experience is ARDOT will sign major concurrencies like US 67-167 but will let minor ones like the AR 164 goat-screw in Pope County lie. However, in recent years I have seen a 67 shield solo, and even a 167 only shield in the field.

capt.ron

Quote from: Road Hog on October 28, 2022, 01:20:01 AM
My experience is ARDOT will sign major concurrencies like US 67-167 but will let minor ones like the AR 164 goat-screw in Pope County lie. However, in recent years I have seen a 67 shield solo, and even a 167 only shield in the field.
Signing concurrencies are basically "pick and choose" in Arkansas. And yes, the 67/167 corridor is a great example of haphazard signing. Right off of the northbound on-ramp (exit 28), there is NO US 64 shield but there is one after exit 29 northbound (US 64 joins the freeway alignment from exit 28 to 55). Numerous US 167 signs are missing along that stretch from Sherwood to Searcy. Plus, there are different sizes along the stretch. One set is huge ( like 36"x36" ) around the Sherwood area while they use smaller signs elsewhere. I think there are even a couple of 67 signs missing on that stretch, showing only US 167.

MikieTimT

This article is regarding the appointment to the Arkansas Highway Commission.  This is the first mention I've ever heard of the goal to make US-82 into an Interstate.  It's always been planned to upgrade to a 4-lane facility, but I've never run across anything that indicated that it would be limited access.  Probably just wishful thinking on the governor and commissioner's part as there are many, many competing priorities in Arkansas for road funds.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2023/jan/27/sanders-names-former-state-representative-to-the/

sprjus4

^ Probably is referring to 4 lanes, but decided to throw the term "interstate"  in there to make it sound more appealing.

Bobby5280

The only possible scenario I can see for turning parts of US-82 in Arkansas into an Interstate class highway is 1: I-69 gets fully built out thru Southern Arkansas and 2: Texas upgrades much of US-82 between Wichita Falls and Texarkana to Interstate standards. Both are possibilities, but kind of long-shot possibilities.

I do think TX DOT will be forced to upgrade US-82 to Interstate standards between Gainesville and Sherman since DFW development is spreading in that direction. US-82 between Sherman and Honey Grove is now 4-lane divided with some freeway exits (a bunch was previously Super-2). Over the long term I can see US-82 from Sherman to Paris eventually being 100% limited access. The leg from Paris to New Boston will be harder to upgrade.

US-82 across Southern Arkansas is a bit of a mess in terms of the existing alignment being able to be expanded. Even a regular 4-lane divided highway with at-grade intersections might have to be built on a lot of new alignment.

The Ghostbuster

The new AR 5 extension from the new roundabout junction with AR 7 to the US 70/Business 70 interchange of the Hot Springs Bypass should be completed soon. Personally, I would have liked the AR 7 designation to have been routed down the new highway and have AR 5 continue southward on present-day 7's route to US 270's Exit 5A/B, where AR 7 would reconnect with its previous alignment. If the interchange at Millcreek Rd. gets a number, I assume it would be numbered as a continuation of US 70's and US 270's exit numbers.

bugo

That would be a terrible idea. Removing the AR 7 designation from Central and Park would take attractions like Bathhouse Row and Oaklawn off of the highway. AR 7 is primarily a tourist highway, and a bypass isn't in the spirit of the road. AR 7 is nationally known as a scenic highway, and you wouldn't want to reroute it out of the national park. It doesn't carry much truck traffic or high speed traffic. Taking US 70B out of the national park was bad enough. Finally, if they did what you suggest, AR 7 wouldn't even be signed between the Central Avenue interchange and the 70/70B split because of ArDOT's lazy signing. Numbering it as an extension of AR 5 isn't elegant, but it's about the best they could have done in the situation.

The Ghostbuster

The intention of my thoughts was that if AR 7 through town became AR 5 and AR 7 was routed on the new bypass, both routes could continue straight forward, and thus would not have to make 90 degree turns through the existing roundabout where AR 5 currently ends. I have never been to Arkansas, so I didn't know they are lazy when it comes to signposting. If others think my brainstorm was a bad idea, I respect their difference of opinion.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 01, 2023, 10:06:24 PM
The only possible scenario I can see for turning parts of US-82 in Arkansas into an Interstate class highway is 1: I-69 gets fully built out thru Southern Arkansas and 2: Texas upgrades much of US-82 between Wichita Falls and Texarkana to Interstate standards. Both are possibilities, but kind of long-shot possibilities.

I do think TX DOT will be forced to upgrade US-82 to Interstate standards between Gainesville and Sherman since DFW development is spreading in that direction. US-82 between Sherman and Honey Grove is now 4-lane divided with some freeway exits (a bunch was previously Super-2). Over the long term I can see US-82 from Sherman to Paris eventually being 100% limited access. The leg from Paris to New Boston will be harder to upgrade.

US-82 across Southern Arkansas is a bit of a mess in terms of the existing alignment being able to be expanded. Even a regular 4-lane divided highway with at-grade intersections might have to be built on a lot of new alignment.

If they do decide to extend I-/AR 530 below Pine Bluff to at least Monroe, then I'd figure an upgrade of US 82 east if Monticello to the Greenville bridge at least to 4-lane expressway if not freeway is a given, especially if I-69 is axed in Arkansas. West of there to Texarkana, intermittent passing lanes or a full 4-lane would be sufficient.

bugo

AR 7 is also an Arkansas State Scenic Byway, and rerouting it would disrupt its status.

KamKam

Quote from: bugo on May 30, 2023, 08:35:23 PM
That would be a terrible idea. Removing the AR 7 designation from Central and Park would take attractions like Bathhouse Row and Oaklawn off of the highway. AR 7 is primarily a tourist highway, and a bypass isn't in the spirit of the road. AR 7 is nationally known as a scenic highway, and you wouldn't want to reroute it out of the national park. It doesn't carry much truck traffic or high speed traffic. Taking US 70B out of the national park was bad enough. Finally, if they did what you suggest, AR 7 wouldn't even be signed between the Central Avenue interchange and the 70/70B split because of ArDOT's lazy signing. Numbering it as an extension of AR 5 isn't elegant, but it's about the best they could have done in the situation.
I AGREE!!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.