News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

GPS recommendations?

Started by bandit957, March 24, 2015, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I have a small sum of money just pooping a hole in my pocket, and I plan to put it towards a GPS receiver.

I am looking for a GPS that is very inexpensive but reliable. Ideally, it should be of the handheld variety, mostly for walking around urban areas. I'd probably like a Garmin, but they don't seem to have too many inexpensive handhelds.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SignGeek101

We bought a Tom Tom a few years back and it worked fine, but it was slow to respond to commands put on screen. It was quite frustrating using it on the road especially if you needed an alternate route NOW, and the system took it's time to load the maps and commands. It no longer works at all. The smaller Tom Tom I had before that worked very well and still does (I believe)

We considered buying a Garmin, but because the few times we travel, I usually look up the streets on Google Maps first. I only got a little lost in Vancouver last summer instead of hopelessly lost. We found our way when I saw "Howe St". So, it's not a necessity for us right now.

I don't think they sell them anymore, I don't remember the model numbers or anything.

According to a quick internet search, they both seem to have their ups and downs.

lordsutch

The newish Garmin eTrex models are pretty good; I have an eTrex 30 but you could get away with an eTrex 20 and not lose much (I wouldn't bother with the eTrex 10). You can load OpenStreetMap maps on a MicroSD card, and since they support the GLONASS satellite constellation as well as GPS, as well as WAAS/EGNOS, you typically get better fixes.

The only thing I dislike about mine is that the GPX log files don't include full satellite fix information, although it does display it on the screen.

You could probably get a used eTrex 20 for under $100. My guess is that Garmin will probably come out with a new lineup in the next few months with Beidou and Galileo support and maybe a better display with touchscreen support (the current models are almost four years old, an eternity in consumer electronics terms), and then the current eTrex line will go on clearance - at which point they'll be a steal.

SteveG1988

I have a garmin Dezl, i love it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bandit957

I got my new Garmin Etrex 20. It's basically junk.

I downloaded some maps off OpenStreetMap, and it won't display most of them. Then it makes copies of numerous maps with the same name in the list of maps under "map information", so I don't know which maps are which.

This device is going right back.

renegade

Etrex is a good model for handheld purposes, but you need to step up higher than a 20.  Look for one with a good basemap pre-installed.  Buy from a reputable dealer and ask questions if there's something you don't understand.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

bandit957

Quote from: renegade on March 28, 2015, 10:38:46 PM
Etrex is a good model for handheld purposes, but you need to step up higher than a 20.  Look for one with a good basemap pre-installed.  Buy from a reputable dealer and ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

The Etrex 20 might be pretty good if it actually bothered to display most of the maps I downloaded and didn't assign them all the same name so I couldn't find the ones I needed. That is a huge problem.

I can work around it for now, but sooner or later, the Internet is gonna have to find a real fix.

lordsutch

Why are you downloading a bunch of different maps? Just use a 4 GB microSD card and the latest 4 GB map from here: http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/latest/

Copy it in a "Garmin" directory on your microSD card, then put the microSD card in the eTrex and start it up. (You can also copy it over USB with the eTrex connected by a cable, but it will be really, really slow.)

bandit957

Quote from: lordsutch on March 28, 2015, 11:35:51 PM
Why are you downloading a bunch of different maps? Just use a 4 GB microSD card and the latest 4 GB map from here: http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/latest/

I tried downloading this. I am unable to download the whole thing. After about 200 MB, it stops.

ZLoth

Keep an eye on Woot.com . They have refurbished GPS units from time to time. Today, for instance, they have a TomTom 1FC5019100 GO 50 for $75. Make sure that lifetime map updates are included.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Pete from Boston

How about GPS data collecting units?  The ones I've used are supposedly $8,000 apiece.  Anyone have any reasonably accurate lower-cost alternatives, or do I have to pay my tribute to the Trimble gods?

dfwmapper

The My Tracks app from Google on an Android phone. Can't beat the price of free if you already have an Android phone.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 29, 2015, 08:20:04 PM
The My Tracks app from Google on an Android phone. Can't beat the price of free if you already have an Android phone.

How accurate is it, and in what format does it output its points?

dfwmapper

As accurate as the GPS in your phone is. Seems to be within a couple feet if you have a good lock. You'll probably want to shorten the recording interval to less than the default 32'. It can export to KML, GPX, CSV, and TCX.

bandit957

Another major bug in my new GPS: When you tell it to find an address, and have to enter the state, no matter what state you enter it says "No Results Found".

So it's completely impossible to enter an address.

ZLoth

Quote from: bandit957 on April 05, 2015, 11:22:40 PM
Another major bug in my new GPS: When you tell it to find an address, and have to enter the state, no matter what state you enter it says "No Results Found".

Did you run a maps update?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bandit957

Quote from: ZLoth on April 06, 2015, 02:53:39 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 05, 2015, 11:22:40 PM

Did you run a maps update?

I was eventually able to download the 4GB map from OSM, but I still have the "No Results Found" bug.

bandit957

Quote from: lordsutch on March 28, 2015, 11:35:51 PM

Now this website is gone. Anyone know where it's moved to?

realjd

For urban waking use, a smartphone is best honestly. They have large screens and you don't have to pre-download maps. Handheld units like Garmin eTrex are really designed for wilderness use and generally don't have (or don't do well) directions, address lookup, POI search, or good street map data.

cpzilliacus

I would not get a GPS unit.  Better to get a tablet computer and run GPS software on it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.