News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who cares about Zootopia anyway?

Started by authenticroadgeek, March 01, 2016, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

authenticroadgeek

DISCLAIMER: If you don't like stupid rants, I recommend you get out now!
If you didn't know this so called 'Zootopia' is a thing, either you've been living under a rock or this is the only website you ever go on. I mean, it's getting everywhere. I see some kind of TV thing about it everytime I watch the news, I always have to watch trailers, and if you've played Poptropica lately, every other room you go to there's an entrance to 'Zootopia'. But the thing is:
Who cares?
None of us have even seen the movie yet! It's not even OUT! How do we know it's a good movie just because it's created by the same people that created Frozen, which was a hit with the little girls? Maybe I'll see it once people have confirmed it's a good movie, but to drool over it right now is so unlogical! :banghead: I don't mind hype as long as the movie LIVES UP to it, like what happened with Inside Out. Frozen was kind of overrated, but the hype actually kind of made me decide to give it a try. But THIS? So what I've made out of this is that, of course, it's a Disney movie about, of course, talking biped foxes in this big city.

Zeffy

Corporate marketing is a great thing, isn't it?

FWIW: I have not seen anything for this movie outside of a single post on this forum (ironically enough).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

formulanone

Welcome to the world of buzz.

Somewhere at the end of the last millennium, letting everyone know there's a movie coming out next year seemed to be a trend. And that sets the ball rolling, kind of like Katamari Damacy...eventually that delectable nugget of information becomes a bit lost in the unwieldy morass and possibly unpalatable.

In short, just ignore the fuss and move on. Life lesson: if you spend too much time fussing over the things you don't like, you'll miss out on opportunities best spent on things you enjoy.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 01, 2016, 12:26:14 PM

FWIW: I have not seen anything for this movie outside of a single post on this forum (ironically enough).

Same here.

Pete from Boston

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on March 01, 2016, 01:29:51 PM
Life lesson: if you spend too much time fussing over the things you don't like, you'll miss out on opportunities best spent on things you enjoy.
Basically, don't waste your life trying to win internet arguments? Sounds good to me. :nod:

On topic, I actually want to watch Zootopia, seems like it'll be a decent comedy. Coincidentally enough, it comes out on my brother's birthday.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SignGeek101

Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2016, 03:09:40 PM
I've never heard of it either.

Same, but I don't usually watch movies of any kind that much. I'm pretty frugal and unless a movie is really good, I don't usually see it,

jakeroot

I'm familiar with the film because I like films, but I haven't noticed any more hype surrounding its release than any other film.

authenticroadgeek, I would guess that, due to your age, you've heard more about this film than most of us because you're the target audience.

Rothman

I don't know about "very funny."  Having sloths at the DMV was a little clever, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2016, 10:04:06 PM
I don't know about "very funny."  Having sloths at the DMV was a little clever, though.

I thought it was a well-crafted if simple bit.  More about executing the jokes likably than anything too cerebral.  Nailing the simple things goes a long way.

And those sloths can really act. 

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 02, 2016, 12:10:47 AM

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2016, 10:04:06 PM

I thought it was a well-crafted if simple bit.  More about executing the jokes likably than anything too cerebral.  Nailing the simple things goes a long way.

And those sloths can really act.

Personally, although I don't think it's the best movie that Disney/anyone have ever made, it's not the worst either. It looks ok and the jokes seem to be executed fairly well. The movie is not all that brainy, but if you want a easy laugh, it's a pretty good choice if you have time to waste.  :spin:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

authenticroadgeek

wphiii

My advertising over-saturation-related irritation is reserved mostly for Daily Fantasy Sports these days.

Jardine

Last Disney animation I saw was either Lady and the Tramp or Fantasia.

english si

Looks like it will be worth watching when it appears on TV, though not worth going out of the way to see it.

ET21

Isn't every movie overhyped in some fashion?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

english si

Rotten Tomatoes certified (100+ reviews) it as 99% Fresh. OK, that means that it almost everyone's cup of tea, rather than it's an amazing movie (though the average score of 8.0/10 is better than both The Martian and The Revenant which have 7.8 and 7.9 respectively - but they have about three times the reviews, with more than just one rotten one).

Desert Man

Zootopia caters to the furries, fans of anthromorphic animated animals in cartoon movies and TV programs. You would encounter and meet them in fancons (conventions) like the great annual Comic-Con in San Diego. I say it'll have a huge following among furries. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

noelbotevera

I've hated Disney ever since 101 Dalmations (1961), their last good movie. Let's just say that I'm grateful for not going to the Comic-Con convention in Washington DC, because I know that Disney would be there.

Actually getting on topic, Zootopia just seems to be overhyped. I don't give a (excuse the expletive) damn about it, I just want them to come up with something that's actually than a bad, overhyped, memed piece of crap.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 25, 2016, 03:41:21 PM
I've hated Disney ever since 101 Dalmations (1961), their last good movie.

The rest of the 60s must've been a tough time for you.

I can't wait to have enough spare energy to be this annoyed at a movie about animal detectives.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 25, 2016, 03:48:03 PM

The rest of the 60s must've been a tough time for you.

I can't wait to have enough spare energy to be this annoyed at a movie about animal detectives.
I wasn't alive back then  (:crazy:) but I've watched it.

Ditto.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Desert Man

Someone mentioned 101 Dalmatians, what about Robin Hood (1973), a big hit among furries? Furries have been around since the late 1970s or early 1980s, then came out of hiding in the 1990s thanks to the internet.

Zootopia is a metaphor for human ethnicity and race relations, a real life matter in a family movie, but in a child-friendly way. To see different species try to control themselves when they deal with another species, I guess Zootopia is quite human. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

DTComposer

Hyperbole check: you are absolutely welcome to your opinion, but are you really of the opinion that (to cherry-pick a few) The Jungle Book (1967), Beauty and the Beast (1991, nominated for Best Picture), Aladdin (1992), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The Lion King (1994), The Emperor's New Groove (2000), Frozen (2013), Big Hero 6 (2014) are all not good movies? Are you considering the Pixar movies to be their own entity (totally valid opinion, especially pre-2006), or are you saying none of those are good either? No good movies in the last 55 years? You're able to go through this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_theatrical_animated_features
(and believe me, there are some stinkers on here) and tell me you didn't like any of them post-1961?

Again, if that's how you truly feel, I respect that, but you understand it does seem a little incredulous, given the sheer number of films, and the massive critical acclaim (and box office receipts) that many of them have.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.