News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DST (2018)

Started by 02 Park Ave, February 08, 2018, 07:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

A state by state solution would be best.  What's good for the people in Maine wouldn't be what's best for those in Indiana even though they are in the same time zone.
C-o-H

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2018, 04:02:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 22, 2018, 02:39:42 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 22, 2018, 12:38:04 PM
Or a 1961 Ferrari 250GT California edition?  ;)

No fucking way I'd touch that car.

If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?

Neither would I.

Look, we're not like the valets in Ferris Bueller. I like my job and wouldn't want to risk it by doing something stupid.

Now, with that in mind, our route from the garage to the hotel is about 4 blocks, so I would thoroughly enjoy it for that distance. Assuming it's not painfully confusing to operate.

slorydn1

The more I think about it the time change from ST to DT (and back) is a good thing.

If we do away with it either way, how on Earth are we going to get people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors twice a year? Think of all the children that would be lost in massive conflagrations because their smoke detectors didn't activate.  Oh the horror of it all! :happy:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Scott5114

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 22, 2018, 11:15:24 PM
The more I think about it the time change from ST to DT (and back) is a good thing.

If we do away with it either way, how on Earth are we going to get people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors twice a year? Think of all the children that would be lost in massive conflagrations because their smoke detectors didn't activate.  Oh the horror of it all! :happy:

But the conflagrations would help them see while they're waiting for the bus in the dark!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on March 22, 2018, 06:55:16 PM

Neither would I.

Look, we're not like the valets in Ferris Bueller. I like my job and wouldn't want to risk it by doing something stupid.

Now, with that in mind, our route from the garage to the hotel is about 4 blocks, so I would thoroughly enjoy it for that distance. Assuming it's not painfully confusing to operate.

I know, I got nothin' to worry about, you're a professional.  ;)

hbelkins

Apparently, Indiana thinks it's in the correct time zone. They haven't attempted to move from ET to CT.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:40:21 PM
Apparently, Indiana thinks it's in the correct time zone. They haven't attempted to move from ET to CT.

Depends on county.  NW and SW Indiana are on CT, not ET.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Depends on county.  NW and SW Indiana are on CT, not ET.
They are with Chicago more than on CT. If IL decides they need Pacific time zone, guess what NW IN would do...

tradephoric

I don't see DST being abolished because if it were the sun would rise at 4:25 am in NYC on the summer solstice (with civil twilight starting at 3:51am) and set at 7:30 pm (with civil twilight ending at 8:04pm).  With last call in NYC being at 4 am, people filing out of the bars would already be encountering civil twilight.  Who wants the sun to get up THAT early in the summer?  The birds will be chirping just as the bar patrons rest their head on the pillow.  I don't care if you are a morning person, the first rays of sunshine illuminating the sky at 3:51 am is too damn early.  Abolishing DST would mean F#$@'ing over millions of New Yorker's.... that's just not going to happen.  Most people like their sunshine later in the day... not at 3:51 am.

OTOH, perpetual DST doesn't sound so bad.  On the shortest day of the year the sun sets in NYC at 4:31 pm.  It's no wonder people get depressed in the winter.... they are either stuck at their job or get home from work and it's already pitch black out.  Would people from NYC really oppose the sun setting at 5:31 pm on the shortest day of the year?  Conversely, the sun would rise at 8:16 am in NYC on the shortest day of the year with perpetual DST (with civil twilight staring at 7:45 am), which is about the current sunrise time for cities on the western edge of the eastern time zone.  That still sounds reasonable. 

NWI_Irish96

Moving the entire state to CT has been debated in committee but never gotten beyond that.  The state is pretty split.  Of course NWI and the Evansville area are already on Central.  There is a lot of support for moving to CT in the Lafayette, Terre Haute and Bloomington areas.  Some support in the South Bend area as well. 

I moved from an ET part of Indiana to a CT part of Indiana 7 months ago and I much prefer the daylight schedule on CT, and also the TV schedule as well, with primetime TV and sporting events starting an hour earlier.  I didn't have to stay up until midnight to see the Whinycats get sent home last night.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

If Indiana did move more counties to Central Time, I'd suspect most of the counties along the river from the Corydon area east to Lawrenceburg would stay on Eastern Time to be in synch with Louisville and Cincinnati.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 22, 2018, 11:55:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 22, 2018, 06:55:16 PM

Neither would I.

I know, I got nothin' to worry about, you're a professional.  ;)

CNGL-Leudimin

And I'm back to normal. DST has started in Europe overnight, so my "wherever Big Rig Steve is right now" time now points again to the correct time zone. It had been one hour behind for the last two weeks (as it sticks to my local time minus 6-9 hours, depending on the current position of Big Rig Steve).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

J N Winkler

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 25, 2018, 03:34:23 AMAnd I'm back to normal. DST has started in Europe overnight, so my "wherever Big Rig Steve is right now" time now points again to the correct time zone.

My computer has likewise sprung forward to British Summer Time, so now the scripts I run every Monday night to harvest construction plans from transportation agency sites will begin at 6.01 PM, instead of 7.01 PM.  This increases the chances they will finish before midnight.  (With 73 scripts currently active, all of which run at least once every three months, it can take as long as 22 hours for a complete run.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2018, 07:48:09 PM
If Indiana did move more counties to Central Time, I'd suspect most of the counties along the river from the Corydon area east to Lawrenceburg would stay on Eastern Time to be in synch with Louisville and Cincinnati.

Ignoring for a moment the reality that Cincinnati and Louisville should both be on Central time based on their longitude, and assuming that will never happen, then yes, I think Crawford, Lawrence, Orange, Jackson, Washington, Harrison, Jennigs, Scott, Clark, Floyd, Ripley, Jefferson, Dearborn, Ohio and Switzerland staying on Eastern due to getting their local TV stations from Cincinnati or Louisville. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Said it before, and I'll say it again. I hate Central Time and am glad I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2018, 08:10:01 PM
Said it before, and I'll say it again. I hate Central Time and am glad I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.
What's so bad about it - at least you get advance warning. :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2018, 08:10:01 PM

Heh. I was born in Texas but moved to Virginia when I was 1, so on the rare occasions when I go to places on Central Time I feel I've gotten my lost hour back.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tdindy88

As a Hoosier living in the Eastern Time Zone, is it bad to say that one of the reasons I like being in Eastern is being able to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve and it actually mean something to me?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 25, 2018, 09:15:41 PM
As a Hoosier living in the Eastern Time Zone, is it bad to say that one of the reasons I like being in Eastern is being able to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve and it actually mean something to me?

People still care about that?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 25, 2018, 09:34:48 PM

Um, yeah.

Rothman

Judging by the crowds that show up, heck yeah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

I'm with you. I don't give a f*** about NYC's new years. I'm usually eating dinner when that happens. Seattle has their own fireworks at the Space Needle, which I find to be far more interesting.

Brandon

Does anyone outside of NYC actually give a shit about that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2018, 03:12:59 AM

I'm with you. I don't give a f*** about NYC's new years. I'm usually eating dinner when that happens. Seattle has their own fireworks at the Space Needle, which I find to be far more interesting.
Quote from: Brandon on March 26, 2018, 05:22:57 AM

Does anyone outside of NYC actually give a shit about that?
That is exactly the message - being in EST actually makes that meaningful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.