News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 795 extension (NC)

Started by LM117, July 16, 2016, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Several US-117 upgrade projects between Mount Olive and Goldsboro, including I-795's new alignment between US-117 south of the Wayne County fairgrounds and NC-581/Ash Street, were included in the final 2018-2027 STIP that was approved earlier this month by the NC Board of Transportation. The new alignment routing appears to be following Alternative 4A from the feasibility study that's posted in the OP of this thread.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/08/13/road_improvement_projects_included_in_states_10year_budget/

QuoteImprovements to U.S. 117 from West Ash Street south to Lee's Country Club Road at Mount Olive are included in the state's new 10-year (2018-2027) transportation improvement plan as efforts continue to transform the highway into an extension of Interstate 795.

Planning and design are underway for the $227 million project that will require that some of the road be built on a new location.

The U.S. 117 project is broken down into four parts:

* North of Country Club Road to south of South Landfill Road at Dudley; $17.3 million; right of way, 2025; construction, 2027.

* South of South Landfill Road to south of Genoa Road; $35 million; right of way, 2025; construction in 2027.

* South of Genoa Road to south of Arrington Bridge Road (N.C. 581); $62.4 million; unfunded for future years past 2027.

* South of Arrington Bridge Road (N.C. 581) to north of West Ash Street (N.C. 581); $111.3 million; unfunded for future years past 2027.

Three other projects, two which are already underway, tie into the U.S. 117 upgrade.

Construction started in late July on interchanges on U.S. 117 South at O'Berry Road, Dudley, and Country Club Road, just north of Mount Olive.

The interchanges are scheduled for completion by October 2019, with additional work, including vegetation and reforestation, possibly continuing through March 2020.

O'Berry Road will travel over U.S. 117, and U.S. 117 will pass over Country Club Road.

The third will realign Smith Chapel Road with Lee's Country Club Road just south of Mount Olive where an interchange will be built. It also includes constructing a new connector road along U.S 117 in that area.

The estimated cost is $28.5 million with right-of-way acquisition to start in 2024 followed by construction in 2026 and 2027.

As someone who used to commute US-117 everyday, the new I-795 alignment section will be a welcome relief for traffic through Goldsboro on existing US-117, as well as providing a much needed second crossing of the Neuse River.

Since the new alignment is broken into sections the way the US-70 Goldsboro Bypass was, I wonder if the opened sections will be signed as NC-795 until the whole alignment is finished? :hmm:

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

US-117 southbound is reduced to one lane at the O'Berry Road intersection.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/08/17/us_117_southbound_down_to_one_lane_at_oberry_road/

QuoteU.S. 117 southbound is down to one lane due to work at O'Berry Road.

Road closures, lane reductions and detours loom during the construction of interchanges on U.S. 117 South at O'Berry Road, Dudley, and Country Club Road, just north of Mount Olive.

Both interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as an Interstate in this area, DOT officials said.

Both intersections already carry an average of 15,000 vehicles per day, and that number is expected to increase to more than 27,000 per day by 2037, according to DOT data.

It is not the only roadwork that motorists may run into -- several paving projects in other areas of the county will be ongoing as well.

Even though workers might not be present in work zones, motorists should still expect narrowed or closed lanes, traffic shifts and reduced speed limits as well as other conditions that might affect normal travel.

Speeding in designated work zones can result in a penalty of $250, plus court costs.

LM117

The US-117 Connector/NC-50 intersection improvement project near Faison has been put on hold due to lack of support.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/08/22/road_project_on_hold_due_to_public_opposition/

QuoteFAISON -- Planned safety improvements to the U.S. 117/N.C. 50 intersection are on hold and could even be dropped because of public opposition.

All of the 10 comments received at a recent public meeting on the project were in opposition, said Michael Bass, state Department of Transportation Division 3 project manager.

The complaints fell into three categories -- possible adverse effect on emergency response time, large trucks and slow-moving farm vehicles.

Faison town officials have asked that DOT representatives attend the town board's Sept. 6 meeting to further explain the project, particularly for those who did not attend the first meeting held July 25, at Faison Town Hall, 110 N.E. Center St.

The project would eliminate left turns from N.C. 50 onto the U.S. 117  Connector at the roads' intersection just north of Faison.

The project is designed to reduce angle and left turn crashes at the site where there have been 10 crashes between 2009 and 2014 -- six angle crashes and two left turn crashes.

One of the left turn crashes resulted in two fatalities.

The improvements would turn N.C. 50 into a "superstreet," also referred to as a "synchronized street," which improves safety and reduces delays by eliminating left turns from side streets.

Instead, drivers make U-turns at a safer distance from the intersection.

Under the plan, traffic on N.C. 50 would no longer be able to cross the U.S. 117  Connector in order to make a turn left.

Motorists on N.C. 50 would have to turn right onto the U.S. 117 Connector and travel along the road for a certain distance, 950 to 1,000 feet, before they could make a U-turn.

Traffic on the U.S. 117 Connector would still be able to turn left onto N.C. 50.

Bass said some of the comments were concerned that slow-moving farm vehicles could not travel fast enough along the U.S. 117 Connector to safely make the U-turn.

Others were worried that the U-turns would add time to emergency vehicle response times, Bass said.

Those at the meeting were asked if they thought the existing intersection was better than the proposal.

They said it was, Bass said.

Bass said the DOT would like to move forward if possible, but that for now the project is "kind of up in the air."

No right-of-way acquisition will be required for the $1.6 million project. Construction had been scheduled to start in June 2018.

Currently, N.C. 50 is a two-lane undivided roadway, controlled by stop signs with red flashing beacons to provide additional warnings to approaching vehicles at the intersection. It has a 55 mph speed limit.

The U.S. 117 Connector is a four-lane, divided roadway with right and left turn lanes in both directions at the intersection.

It operates as a free movement roadway with yellow flashing beacons at the intersection.

The speed limit is 60 mph.

The U.S. 117 Connector extends from Interstate 40 in Sampson County to U.S. 117 at Calypso.

A long-term goal is to turn it and U.S. 117 in Wayne County into an extension of Interstate 795 that currently ends just north of West Ash Street in Goldsboro.

Even if the U.S. 117/N.C. 50 project is shelved, it will have no practical impact on the I-795 project that is still decades away in Duplin County, Bass said.

That project is not included in the DOT's recently approved 10-year Transportation Improvement Plan for Duplin County.

The Wayne County portion is included in the plan, although some of it is not funded as of 2027.

For more information, contact Bass at 910-341-2000 or by email at mlbass@ncdot.gov.

I agree with the locals. A superstreet is not the answer here. An interchange seems like a no-brainer to me...

LM117

O'Berry Road is closing within the next 10 days. Construction of the Country Club Road interchange won't begin until early next year.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/08/29/oberry_road_to_close_at_us_117_in_the_next_10_days/

QuoteO'Berry Road at U.S. 117 South at Dudley will be closed within the next five to 10 days as the at-grade intersection is transformed into an interchange.

The date could hinge somewhat on how the tropical weather expected to strike coastal North Carolina today affects Wayne County, said Michael Alford of S.T. Wooten Corp., the company doing the work.

Once O'Berry Road is closed the existing pavement will be broken up and traffic will have to find alternate routes, he said.

Detour signs will be posted when the road is closed, he said.

When O'Berry Road is closed there will be no exit off U.S. 117 between U.S. 117 Alternate just south of the Wayne County Fairgrounds and Country Club Road just north of Mount Olive.

U.S. 117 Alternate runs parallel to U.S. 117 and will be the main detour on the east side of U.S. 117.

On the west side is Durham Lake Road.

The closure will be followed in the next few months with traffic being reduced to one lane each in both directions on U.S. 117.

While lane closures may be necessary over the course of several months as girders are placed for the new overpass, they will only last for a day or two at a time, Alford said.

Some of that work will be done at night to lessen the impact on traffic, he said.

Crews have been busy for the past several weeks clearing trees and shrubbery for the on and off ramps.

The company has one year to complete the O'Berry interchange.

Wooten will begin work on an interchange at Country Club Road by late February or early March, Alford said. Construction on this section of the project is limited to 18 months.

Both interchanges are scheduled for completion by October 2019, with additional work including vegetation and reforestation possibly continuing through March 2020.

O'Berry Road will travel over U.S. 117, and U.S. 117 will pass over Country Club Road.

The two projects will cost an estimated $20.6 million.

Both interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as an Interstate in this area, state Department of Transportation officials said.

Both intersections already carry an average of 15,000 vehicles per day, and that number is expected to increase to more than 27,000 per day by 2037, according to DOT data.

LM117

I just got back home after a trip to Goldsboro (which included stops in other areas of eastern NC and Norfolk thanks to an unexpected last minute change in plans, but that's a different story).

I drove down US-117 to see how the Oberry Road interchange project was coming along. They're clearing the way for the ramps and you can roughly see where the ramps will be built. It will be a diamond interchange. Another thing I noticed is that the inner shoulders in the vicinity of the project were being widened to interstate standards with rumble strips. The outside shoulders haven't been touched yet but I suspect they will be widened as well before the project is finished. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any photos since my phone decided not to cooperate. I'm gonna try to get back down there again before the end of the year, so maybe I'll have better luck getting pics then unless someone else happens to pass by there and beat me to it.

No "Future I-795" signs are posted.

The Ghostbuster

Which probably means Interstate 795 will not be extended, at least in the near-future.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 19, 2017, 05:31:27 PM
Which probably means Interstate 795 will not be extended, at least in the near-future.

The signs will probably be posted once the new alignment of I-795 between NC-581/Ash Street and US-117 south of the county fairgrounds is built.

Speaking of the new alignment, I was reminded of the need for it when I drove on the section of US-117 that will eventually be bypassed by I-795. I don't know if it's the norm these days, but I encountered heavier traffic between I-40 and Goldsboro compared to what I was used to seeing 10+ years ago when I lived in the area. The stoplights and at-grades through the Mar-Mac area didn't help the congestion. There's also the desperate need for a second major crossing of the Neuse River since the US-117 bridges are notoriously flood prone and every time the bridges are flooded out, the county is cut in half.

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on October 19, 2017, 08:04:26 PM

The signs will probably be posted once the new alignment of I-795 between NC-581/Ash Street and US-117 south of the county fairgrounds is built.

Speaking of the new alignment, I was reminded of the need for it when I drove on the section of US-117 that will eventually be bypassed by I-795. I don't know if it's the norm these days, but I encountered heavier traffic between I-40 and Goldsboro compared to what I was used to seeing 10+ years ago when I lived in the area. The stoplights and at-grades through the Mar-Mac area didn't help the congestion. There's also the desperate need for a second major crossing of the Neuse River since the US-117 bridges are notoriously flood prone and every time the bridges are flooded out, the county is cut in half.

I've yapped about the pending Panamax phenomenon in other threads (I-42, I-87), but the I-795 extension is itself part of that concept, since the dredging of the lower Cape Fear estuary to allow the largest container vessels to dock at Wilmington is either completed or very close to that status.  Because of rail access (CSX is reopening & upgrading their Wilmington-Wilson branch after years of dormancy, and NS has a direct line to their regional hub at Hamlet) and road access to the west and north (US 74, I-40) for less-than-trainload container cargo, Wilmington is well-placed to attract a decent share of the Panamax East Coast traffic.  I-795 simply provides a shortcut for any such traffic to head north into VA and the "Northeast Corridor"; the CSX revitalized rail line actually parallels it for most of its projected distance.  It's very likely that when the I-795 extension opens all the way to I-40, it'll host a sizeable amount of commercial traffic from the outset; and probably, for at least the near term, more such traffic than either of the other two nascent NC coastal corridors.

LM117

Quote from: sparker on October 20, 2017, 01:45:11 AM
Quote from: LM117 on October 19, 2017, 08:04:26 PM

I've yapped about the pending Panamax phenomenon in other threads (I-42, I-87), but the I-795 extension is itself part of that concept, since the dredging of the lower Cape Fear estuary to allow the largest container vessels to dock at Wilmington is either completed or very close to that status.  Because of rail access (CSX is reopening & upgrading their Wilmington-Wilson branch after years of dormancy, and NS has a direct line to their regional hub at Hamlet) and road access to the west and north (US 74, I-40) for less-than-trainload container cargo, Wilmington is well-placed to attract a decent share of the Panamax East Coast traffic.  I-795 simply provides a shortcut for any such traffic to head north into VA and the "Northeast Corridor"; the CSX revitalized rail line actually parallels it for most of its projected distance.  It's very likely that when the I-795 extension opens all the way to I-40, it'll host a sizeable amount of commercial traffic from the outset; and probably, for at least the near term, more such traffic than either of the other two nascent NC coastal corridors.

The Enviva plant next to the I-40/US-117 Connector interchange has added more trucks on US-117 as well, which doesn't help the commute through the Mar-Mac area. I-42 and I-795 are the two most important corridors in eastern NC right now, IMO.

LM117

O'Berry Road at US-117 in Dudley will be closed up to a year due to the ongoing interchange project.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/10/26/oberry_road_to_close_for_up_to_a_year/

QuoteO'Berry Road at U.S. 117 South at Dudley could be closed for up to a year beginning Monday as work crews continue construction of an overpass.

The closure will not affect traffic on U.S. 117 going through the intersection.

O'Berry Road will be closed in both directions in the Dudley community on Monday, Oct. 30, to begin building an interchange that will have a bridge and ramps.

The project will improve safety and mobility on U.S. 117 south of Goldsboro.

Once closed, motorists on U.S. 117 should follow detours signs to reach O'Berry Road.

Southbound U.S. 117 traffic will exit at N.C. 55, and northbound will turn left onto U.S. 13.

Motorists on O'Berry Road will be sent onto U.S. 117 Alt. or Durham Lake Road, depending on which side of the highway they are traveling.

The N.C. Department of Transportation this summer awarded a $21.5 million contract to S.T. Wooten of Wilson for the construction.

The project also includes building an interchange with an overpass at the intersection of Country Club Road and U.S. 117 to the south of O'Berry Road. That work is scheduled to start in early 2018.

The overall project completion is expected by October 2019.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

LM117

Based on a recent article in the Mount Olive Tribune (behind paywall), the next project will be upgrading the existing US-117/NC-55 interchange in Mount Olive. According to Mount Olive Town Manager Charles Brown, it is a funded project and NCDOT is considering upgrading it to a Diverging Diamond Interchange. He says the project is at least 2-3 years away.

https://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com/mobile/editionviewer/?Edition=7eba1ae0-b8bf-4dd2-970c-e9cc65112fce

LM117

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/11/17/hearing_to_look_at_us_70_project/

QuoteHarrell also talked about the ongoing interchange project at O'Berry Road and U.S. 117 South at Dudley.

O'Berry Road has been closed and will remain closed for about a year as the bridge is built to carry the road over U.S. 117, he said.

Once the dirt build elevation is in place for the bridge it has to sit for at least four months.

"So it is not that we are trying not to do anything, it has a settling time," he said. "It is not that we have stopped working. We have about a year left of construction before we have that interchange open."

A second interchange project at U.S. 117 South and Country Club Road near Mount Olive will start after the first of the year, he said.

The projects are designed to improve safety, Harrell said.

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

LM117

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 14, 2017, 06:23:26 PM
Future I-795 signs are up.

When did you see them? I drove US-117 in October and there weren't any then.

Alex

Quote from: LM117 on December 15, 2017, 11:20:05 AM

Spotted one posted to the immediate south of the end shield two days ago:

https://twitter.com/AARoads/status/941297727039787010

LM117

Quote from: Alex on December 16, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 15, 2017, 11:20:05 AM

Spotted one posted to the immediate south of the end shield two days ago:

https://twitter.com/AARoads/status/941297727039787010

Awesome! I was in Goldsboro last weekend, but the only part of US-117 I drove was from William Street to the Mar-Mac area at the Old Mount Olive Highway intersection, which explains why I didn't see any signs there last weekend. I drove the whole length of US-117 between Goldsboro and I-40 in October, but since I didn't see any "Future I-795" signs then, I didn't bother to check again last weekend.

Figures the signs would go up when I wasn't looking for them. :banghead:

LM117

The US-117/Country Club Road interchange project near Mount Olive will begin Monday.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/01/18/work_to_begin_monday_on_country_club_road/

QuoteWork is scheduled to begin Monday on the U.S. 117 and Country Club Road interchange project just north of town.

Motorists can expect delays and lane closures during construction.

When completed, U.S. 117 will pass over Country Club Road.

Work has been underway since August on a new interchange at U.S. 117 and O'Berry Road, Dudley.

O'Berry Road was closed in October and could remain closed for up to a year as work crews continue construction of an overpass to take the road over U.S. 117 South.

Both interchanges are scheduled for completion by October 2019, with additional work including vegetation and reforestation possibly continuing through March 2020.

The two projects will cost an estimated $20.6 million.

The interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as an Interstate in this area, state Department of Transportation officials said.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

LM117

Upcoming lane closures on US-117 at Country Club Road.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/02/06/us_117_to_be_down_one_lane/

QuoteNorthbound traffic is down to one lane on U.S. 117 at its intersection with Country Club Road and is expected to be down to one southbound lane later this week depending on the weather.

A barricade has been placed to close off the outside northbound lane and the same will be done for the outside southbound lane.

Detours and delays can be expected in the coming months as crews from S.T. Wooten Construction Co. build an interchange to take U.S. 117 over Country Club Road.

"What they are doing is widening the outside lanes," said Eva Hornak with S.T. Wooten Construction Co. "The northbound lane is shut down now, and they are planing to narrow the southbound lane this week, weather permitting."

The weather has been a challenge, but the project is still on schedule, she said.

"What they are doing, they have to build up those outside ramps," she said. "What eventually is going to happen is they are going to shift the traffic there. They are going to be putting barrier walls, that Jersey barrier, to help block off the traffic. It should take about four months to build the outside ramps depending on weather."

Once the ramps are completed and traffic detoured, that section of U.S. 117 at Country Club Road will be closed so that the overhead bridges can be constructed.

Meanwhile, work has been underway since August on a new interchange at U.S. 117 and O'Berry Road, Dudley.

O'Berry Road was closed in October and could remain closed for up to a year as work crews continue construction of an overpass to take the road over U.S. 117.

LM117

According to an article in this week's edition of the Mount Olive Tribune (behind paywall), the overpass carrying O'Berry Road over US-117 is still expected to be complete in October. Another note from the article is that NCDOT still has not chosen an alternative for I-795's new alignment between US-70 in Goldsboro and US-117 just south of the Wayne County fairgrounds.

https://1723.newstogo.us/mobile/editionviewer/?Edition=d7c68395-6bb5-4406-bd3c-1945e1a6085f

However, based on the NCDOT's interactive map on the 2020-2029 STIP page, they still seem to be leaning towards Alternative 4A from the feasibility study I posted in the OP.

LM117

Detours to be set in place on July 23 & 24 so concrete girders for the Oberry Road overpass can be placed.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/07/13/us_117_south_to_close_for_road_work/

LM117

According to last month's June 6 article, the Sampson County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution opposing upgrading the existing I-40 Exit 355 interchange for I-795's connection to I-40, citing negative impacts to the Enviva plant. They want I-795 to follow a new alignment and link with I-40 at a new interchange south of Exit 355.

https://www.clintonnc.com/news/30745/board-leave-exit-alone

LM117

The O'Berry Road overpass is planned to be open by the first part of November and the new bridges carrying US-117 over Country Club Road are expected to be complete by July 2019.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/07/27/us_117_overpass_to_be_open_by_november/

LM117

LM117

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/08/22/southbound_us_117_to_close_thursday_night/

QuoteSouthbound lanes of U.S. 117 are scheduled to be closed overnight Thursday between its intersection with U.S. 117 Alternate and Country Club Road at Mount Olive.

If the weather cooperates, the southbound lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. Thursday until 5 a.m. Friday so contract workers can pour the concrete deck for a new overpass at O'Berry Road.

Motorists will detour at U.S. 117 Alternate, go south and re-enter the highway at Country Club Road. The overnight work will not affect the U.S. 117 northbound lanes.

Last year, the state Department of Transportation awarded a $20.6 million contract to S.T. Wooten Corp. of Wilson to upgrade the highway's intersections with O'Berry and Country Club roads into interchanges. The interchanges will have bridges, ramps and loops and will improve safety and traffic flow.

The contractor is expected to complete the O'Berry Road interchange later this year, and the Country Club interchange by next summer.

LM117

The opening date for the O'Berry Road overpass has been pushed back to early December because of Hurricane Florence. A minor update on the Country Club Road interchange was also given.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/o-berry-road-reopening-delayed/article_c273bd61-c855-5ff9-849d-5310c943da5c.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.