News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NC: I-40 "Accident Investigation Site Ahead" Sign AND Brown numbered signs

Started by Dustin DeWinn, May 10, 2018, 07:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin DeWinn

I want to devote this thread 2 two types of signage I saw on a trip from NC to TN as I drove through the Smoky Mountains on I-40.

One was "Accident Investigation Site Ahead". These are permanent white diamonds. Do these exist anywhere else?

Believe it or not, this is the only image I could find on the web, but there are a lot of these signs. Some in REALLY treacherous areas.

The second type, I looked for on Google Maps but couldn't find are numbered brown signs with white lettering that are fairly small, but larger than mile markers. They're in very close proximity and go 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

They're not a 10th of a mile apart. I don't know what they are.

Anyone have any idea?

cowboy_wilhelm

The brown signs with numbers are supposed to be for determining visibility during foggy conditions. Google may have some answers.

I'm guessing the accident investigation site signs are for designating safer areas to move vehicles following fender bender type wrecks. That way vehicles aren't in or on the side of the road around a blind curve (notice it's in a straight-stretch in the image).

Several troopers have been struck and killed responding to incidents along that stretch of 40 in Haywood. I'm pretty sure the move over campaign started in N.C. after a couple were killed within a short time span there in the early 2000's.

sparker

The way the turnoff is marked on the pavement there places the vehicles and the inspector about 10 feet to the right of the pavement.  Seeing as how there is no left (inner) shoulder, just a K-rail, maintaining that sort of distance is a very wise policy; glad to see NCDOT and the highway cops are cooperating on such a venture.  Question: has TN placed similar turnouts on their segment of I-40 in the area? 

Bcthurki

The brown signs are adjacent to three cameras in the area. They're used to measure visibility during fog to determine if safety messages need to be activated on the overhead signs. They were put in after a few pileups during foggy conditions.

amroad17

Quote from: sparker on May 17, 2018, 04:56:59 PM
The way the turnoff is marked on the pavement there places the vehicles and the inspector about 10 feet to the right of the pavement.  Seeing as how there is no left (inner) shoulder, just a K-rail, maintaining that sort of distance is a very wise policy; glad to see NCDOT and the highway cops are cooperating on such a venture.  Question: has TN placed similar turnouts on their segment of I-40 in the area?
As of December 2017, no.  However, I believe the shoulder width is larger than in NC.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

2trailertrucker

On I-40 going through "The Gorge" , semi trucks are not allowed in the left lane from exit 20 to the TN line (and farther).

These turnouts allow for a safe place for vehicles to get off the road without endangering other drivers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.