News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida Button Copy

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 24, 2018, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

OK, coming off the heels of the colored shields...what button copy is left in FL?

These are still there I believe:

The Congress Ave signs on the Exit 50 off-ramps of I-95 in Boca Raton are still there. (one sign on the NB off-ramp and 2 on the SB off-ramp)
The mileage distance signs on Congress Ave overpass are still there over I-95 in the same area.

Anybody know what else is left?
Are these?
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7657322,-82.6424304,3a,75y,98.73h,94.97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sI6d3NEbGKVu5WxhHCkcqfA!2e0!5s20170601T000000!7i13312!8i6656
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

formulanone

In short: Not much left.

Your example St. Pete looks like button Copy to me.

There's also a few "upcoming exits" signs on I-95 with button copy on the Congress Avenue bridge, and another south of that in the median.

Gateway Boulevard had a bunch of it, but I've seen a few signs replaced in the past few years.

The Yamato Road exit button copy has been gone since late-2011. Glades Road had a few mileage signs on the bridge but they were replaced in 2012 or so.

Ocala has a few panels on the gantry on southbound US 27/441/301 and FL 40; northbound is not button copy. Last saw it in 2015.

Some of the old State Farmers Market signs had button copy, but I believe they have all been replaced in the past few years.

I thought I saw a post here years ago that showed an overhead sign in the Jacksonville area, but can't find it. There was one for FL 101 at Jacksonville Mayport, not sure of its status.

Not aware of any others left on the Turnpike, I-10, I-4, or I-75. Might want to dig through the Florida thread and compare with Street View. Not sure if any are hiding on old installations in Tampa, Orlando, or Pensacola. Pretty sure there's nothing left in Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Treasure Coast, First Coast, Southwest Florida, around Sebring/Lake Okeechobee, Gainesville, or Tallahassee. I haven't fully explored Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa Bay, and the Space Coast.

Like Keys shields and colored US signs, the best bets are 1970-1980s installations off former state routes. The Yamato, Congress, and Tamiami @ Turnpike button Copy is from 1993-94 or so when those interchanges were re-built or refurbished. They're anomalies because FDOT typically stopped using button copy by the mid-1980s. Maybe it was a contractor, but they did great work with the rounded sign corners.

DeaconG

^^^IIRC, there's none left on the Space Coast. All of the signs on I-95 were changed out during the widening, and the signs on SR 528 were changed out right about the same time. The last ones I remember were on SR 407 at the I-95 interchange, but when they modified the interchange over a year ago, those signs were taken down.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

formulanone

Quote from: DeaconG on June 27, 2018, 05:32:38 PM
^^^IIRC, there's none left on the Space Coast. All of the signs on I-95 were changed out during the widening, and the signs on SR 528 were changed out right about the same time.

I recall there were small button copy signs on the overpasses above I-95 for Fay, Citrus, and Dairy Roads around the Port Saint John area. Are they still around?

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on June 27, 2018, 05:44:55 PM
^^^IIRC, there's none left on the Space Coast. All of the signs on I-95 were changed out during the widening, and the signs on SR 528 were changed out right about the same time.

I recall there were small button copy signs on the overpasses above I-95 for Fay, Citrus, and Dairy Roads around the Port Saint John area. Are they still around?

I believe they were replaced.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Mergingtraffic

^^^IIRC, there's none left on the Space Coast. All of the signs on I-95 were changed out during the widening, and the signs on SR 528 were changed out right about the same time. The last ones I remember were on SR 407 at the I-95 interchange, but when they modified the interchange over a year ago, those signs were taken down.

Even the Congress Ave ramp ones?  Damn
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman65

Button copies seem to be not as rare as the Fla xx signs that used to be on overpasses.  Only the CR 557 overpass in Polk County on I-4 has a Fla 557 shield (now covered by a advisory curve sign placed in front of it) still on it.

Years ago, in Tampa the I-275 exit for Busch Blvd. had a Fla 580 text on it as well as many interchanges in Flagler and St. Johns County on I-95 for State Roads 206, 207, and 100. 

So button copies are more common than those relics.  Although Orlando, I have not encountered many of them in my travels.  Many signs were replaced throughout the 90's and 00's on I-4 and the other roads.  Even before that I do not recall seeing them, although I am sure there could have been a few left over from the 60's and 70's when I arrived in 1990.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

clef

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2018, 07:57:31 PM
Button copies seem to be not as rare as the Fla xx signs that used to be on overpasses.  Only the CR 557 overpass in Polk County on I-4 has a Fla 557 shield (now covered by a advisory curve sign placed in front of it) still on it.

Years ago, in Tampa the I-275 exit for Busch Blvd. had a Fla 580 text on it as well as many interchanges in Flagler and St. Johns County on I-95 for State Roads 206, 207, and 100. 

So button copies are more common than those relics.  Although Orlando, I have not encountered many of them in my travels.  Many signs were replaced throughout the 90's and 00's on I-4 and the other roads.  Even before that I do not recall seeing them, although I am sure there could have been a few left over from the 60's and 70's when I arrived in 1990.

"Fla. S.R. 68" still signed on CR 68 in St Lucie County on the Turnpike here

roadman65

Seems odd that both the state name (the old abbreviation) and the use of S.R. together was used.  Well at least they got the punctuation correct with the periods in the right places.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

The only button copy sign I know of in the Orlando area is this sign for a cemetery on South Apopka Vineland Road at Dr Phillips:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.