News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Smart Checkout

Started by roadman65, August 21, 2022, 07:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was in Circle K in Lakeland, FL and saw a new type of self checkout different from the normal ones that Walmart and other retailers have been using.

This one you place all your items on a pad, and it multiscans every item in one go. No more fiddling with the scanner and bar codes. It scans them all from just placed on the pad.

Has anyone seen these yet?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

How does it handle items that are on clearance because they're damaged?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2022, 07:32:29 AM

How would it in an older self-scan system?

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on August 21, 2022, 07:34:16 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2022, 07:32:29 AM

How would it in an older self-scan system?

Stop & Shop puts yellow clearance stickers on damaged items and items that have been discontinued enough that the system no longer recognizes the actual bar code. The yellow sticker bar code only indicates the price and the section of the store (which is necessary to determine whether it's taxed or not). However, this means that someone can put a 54¢ sticker meant for a bar of candy on a $30 hunk of meat and the self scan employee has to see that the customer is trying to cheat the system.

Market Basket doesn't have self scan, as corporate actually believes in their employees, but if they did, self scan wouldn't work with damaged items at all; what Market Basket does is put the clearance price in marker and make the bar code unreadable with the same marker so the cashier can't accidentally scan the bar code and miss the clearance price. As the price is only readable by humans, not computers, self scan wouldn't work here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2022, 07:28:06 AM
This one you place all your items on a pad, and it multiscans every item in one go.
Can it scan a whole cart full? (or sometimes even more) If not, I don't see any future for it in most grocery stores.

vdeane

This sounds less convenient than what's there now.  I don't want to have to take items from the cart, put them on a pad, and then put them in the bag... I'd rather just take them from the cart directly to the bag, scanning the barcode along the way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Never head of that system. This afternoon I do plan to hit the Amazon Fresh store near us (because I have a coupon for $20 off if you spend $40) and I do like their special carts that have built-in barcode scanners. You scan a code from the Amazon app on your phone to log into the shopping cart and it bills the card you've registered to your Amazon account, so you don't have to go to the checkout at all. One thing I like about that special cart is that it has a screen showing your running tab so that you know exactly when you hit the necessary amount to get the $20 discount.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.