News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegeet

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 17, 2023, 08:57:46 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 17, 2023, 01:48:35 PM
No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.
Well, it's not quite finished yet, as they're still working at the west end where it ties into the old road. I would suspect that TxDOT will apply to extend the I-2 designation once the La Joya Bypass is fully complete.
Actually, it might take a about one or two years before being designated an Interstate, as they have to get approval from AASHTO and FHWA.

kphoger

No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.

Well, it's not quite finished yet, as they're still working at the west end where it ties into the old road. I would suspect that TxDOT will apply to extend the I-2 designation once the La Joya Bypass is fully complete.

I thought exit numbers were now required for new construction, no matter if it's an Interstate or not.  ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abqtraveler

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 09:41:32 AM

I thought exit numbers were now required for new construction, no matter if it's an Interstate or not.  ?
That would be true for interstates. I don't know whether non-interstate routes require exit numbers. If that's the case, it would create a very confusing system, as the mileage system for non-interstate routes in Texas is very convoluted.  For north-south routes, the mileage is determined from the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle. For east-west routes, mileage is determined from the Texas/New Mexico/Mexico tripoint at the westernmpost point in the state.  And then you have interstates whose mileage follows the traditional convention of starting at the south/west end of the route and increasing heading north/east.

So for the La Joya Bypass, you would get exit numbers around 850 (based on US-83 distance from the NW corner of the Panhandle) changing to Exit 130 and increasing once you reach the east end of the bypass and it becomes I-2.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

The Ghostbuster

Since existing Interstate 2's exits are numbered 130 to 176, it would make perfect sense to number the La Joya Bypass's exits as a continuation of those numbers, rather than number them by the mileage of US 83 (depending on whether mile 0 would be at the Oklahoma/Texas border, or at the Mexican border along the Veterans International Bridge co-current with US 77).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.