News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Undated Texas Map, Late 20's?

Started by Brian556, May 14, 2012, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I got this map off ebay. The seller claimed it was a 1920; but that's not possible due to it having US highways. I knew this from the pics he posted, but bought it anyway. It does not have a date. Based on the information on it, if accurate,  I'd say it's between 1926&1928.

The reason for this is that the US Highway system was created in 1926. This map does not show Lake Dallas (reservoir or town). The reservior was completed in 27-28, and the town of Garza immediatly chaned it's name to Lake Dallas.

Notice that the where this map shows SH 39 connecting to US 77 does not accuratly correspond to either former alignment. The first (prior to Lake Dallas(reservoir)) connected to US 77 at Denton. The second (which crossed the Lake Dallas Dam), intersected US 77 at Lake Dallas (Formerly Garza)

usends

More evidence that it's prior to 1930: neither US 175 nor US 380 are shown.  (But US 67 northeast out of Dallas should be on there - is there a shield further off the right edge of the scan?)
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Brian556

There are US 67 shields along TX 1 in the Sulphur Springs/Texarkana area. As for US 380: That corridor was SH 39 on this map. SH 39 changed to SH 24 at an unknown date, and did not become US 380 until 1971.

rte66man

I find it interesting that none of the US highway crossings of the Red River (77, 81, etc) are shown, yet all of the private (read toll) bridges are prominently labeled.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

I was noticing the bridge situation myself. I found it odd that it showed bridges for less important crossings, while more important ones like US 75, 77 & 81 aren't shown to have bridges. I thought that it was suspisious, but though it might be an error. I checked and there is not currently a bridge north of Nocona, TX. I know there used to be a Toll Bridge just east of the current US 69/75 bridge; the support is still there. It is not shown on this map.

kphoger

Perhaps it was obvious there were bridges at the major crossings, but questionable at minor crossings, hence going out of the way to show them on the map.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Brian556

This map does not have any US 77 shields south of Dallas.

austrini

The Bonham-Durant/Sowells Bluff bridge opened in 1927 (fell down in 1932) and the Telephone Bridge opened in 1926 (and fell down in 1940). The US highway shields arent over the road lines like the state highway shields are, so this map is probably from 1927 or 1928 because they added the US highway shields over the existing map base. Also, the US highway connections to other states are under the water layer - another sign of a quickie map base update.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bassoon1986

No US 69, US 180, US 287 shields either. Looks like a US 70 shield just west of Bowie

usends

Quote from: bassoon1986 on May 18, 2012, 12:43:02 AM
No US 69, US 180, US 287 shields either. Looks like a US 70 shield just west of Bowie

US 69 wasn't extended to TX until 1935.  US 180 wasn't created until 1944.  That would be a US 370 shield west of Bowie; that designation was swallowed up by an extended US 287 in 1940.

texaskdog

This is awesome.  Let's see more!

Brian556

Quote from texaskdog
QuoteThis is awesome.  Let's see more!

You want more, you got it.

Notice that US 66 does not have a state highway number accompanying it like the other US Highways do.

texaskdog

I like the "old 20" signs in Manor...and like how it goes down Manor road to drop into Austin (and of course is now US 290).  Notice how US 81 took over Tx 2 but the hadnt removed Tx 2 yet.  Tx 29 had the future US 183 routing into Austin.

and 385 is routed through Channing instead of Dumas, but google maps will still send you through Channing.

usends

Quote from: texaskdog on May 21, 2012, 08:26:15 AM
and 385 is routed through Channing instead of Dumas...

That map is showing the original US 385 - it lasted only until 1935.  Today's US 385 wasn't commissioned until 1958; it happens to be coincident with old 385 between Dalhart and Channing.

rte66man

I see the original routing of US96 SW of Houston (along what will become US59), but it doesn't appear as if it goes north to Lufkin.

When was US90 rerouted through Katy to Columbus?

Also, the rumor that US66 turned south at Conway to Claude where it then ran concurrently into Amarillo with US370 cannot be disproven here as there is no shield in the disputed area.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

usends

Quote from: rte66man on May 22, 2012, 11:32:27 AM
I see the original routing of US96 SW of Houston (along what will become US59), but it doesn't appear as if it goes north to Lufkin.

The US 96 designation has been applied to two different routes, but neither of them were ever routed through Lufkin.  The original US 96 was unrelated to the current 96 (except in number).  The original US 96 ran from US 90 at Rosenberg (southwest of Houston) down to Brownsville from 1926-1934, and then the south terminus was rerouted to Laredo, from 1934-1939.  That's the US 96 that's shown on this map.  In 1939, all of this original US 96 became part of a rerouted and extended US 59.  Today's US 96 was established that same year, applied to the "abandoned" segment of original US 59, from Port Arthur to Tenaha.  Texas appears to have viewed it as a route-number swap, and that's how we ended up with an east-west number on a route that's about as north-south as they come.  It would've been more appropriate to designate the Port Arthur-Tenaha segment as "US 159".

Brian556

I found a website that tells you how to date these maps.
http://www.waml.org/datecode.html#midwst
The date code on this map is 3Z1528 (front)
According to the website:
Midwest Map Company
The following information was suppied by Angie Cope, Cartographic Materials Catalog Librarian, American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries

1926-34: Date may be determined from the first digit following the first letter of the code.  There are usually 2 codes:  one on the cover, and one on the map inside.  Use the later date if they don't agree.

Examples:
R0529 (cover), Q08CE (inside) = 1930
2P8818 (cover), O716C (inside) = 1928

Based on this, the date of this map is 1931.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.