News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

August 5, 2017 Twin Cities meet

Started by froggie, October 14, 2016, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is(are) the best weekend(s) for you to attend a summer 2017 Twin Cities meet?

July 15-16
July 22-23
July 29-30
August 5-6

Highway63

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2017, 11:36:34 AM
On Wednesday, proceeding to Danville and then exiting to drive US 150 all the way to the Quad Cities. From there, I-280 to US 61 to Muscatine, where I will take IA 22 west to pick up Washington and Keokuk counties, then back to US 218 north, which I will take all the way to Waterloo. I think I should be able to make it to Waterloo, if not farther, on Wednesday for the night.
My gut instinct here says you're biting off more than you can chew. Danville to Waterloo via Muscatine and South English via I-74 is 7 hours/400 miles according to Google. US 150 will bog you down in four different cities especially Peoria. Then, if you're going to Keokuk County, it's faster via a series of county roads and IA 21 than going back to 218. (If you need 218 without 380 and 30, then South English to Van Horne is a straight enough shot.)

QuoteFrom there, I'm going to continue on along US 218 beyond the end of I-380 to pick up Bremer and Chickasaw counties, then east on IA 346 at Nashua to US 63, then south on US 63 and east on IA 3 to pick up Fayette County. Then south on IA 150 to get Buchanan, east on US 20 to get Delaware, then south on IA 38 to snag Jones, then US 151 north to Dubuque. From there, US 52 north gets me Clayton, Allamakee and Winneshiek counties. I'll have to go west on IA 9 to get Howard County, but then return to US 52 for the clinch in Iowa. I'm pretty confident that I can get farther than Rochester on Thursday, which was my goal, so I'll probably stay somewhere along I-90 between US 52 and the South Dakota line.
First bad news: Half of IA 346 is closed. If you're set on getting Chickasaw but not 218's miles, better to do US 63-US 18-V56-IA 3, or four-lane 63 up and back. Otherwise from Nashua you'll need to go back to IA 188. Also, if you're going for clinching US 52 in Iowa, consider it will be rerouted in Dubuque County in about three years, taking it off the slowest most winding part.

This also seems ambitious to me especially with taking US 52 through the Driftless Area (of course, I'm saying this to someone who drives mountains all the time, so...). On the other hand, Google comes up with 8 hours/400 miles Waterloo to Rochester via your path (replacing 346 with 188).

I can see from your county map that you're trying to close up your hole in eastern Iowa (an admirable goal  :D)  but at the same time you're going directly at the not-straight part of Iowa. I can game out quite a few possibilities that I think would be better/faster but only hits maybe eight of those 11 counties and/or loses US 52 (and it also makes a difference if Waterloo has to be the starting point or if Cedar Rapids can).

hbelkins

^^^

I can start Thursday anywhere, as long as I get a clinch of I-380 and can manage to fill the holes in my county map. I've scouted out lodging possibilities all along the route. As for US 52, I'm not a stickler for re-clinches. If I drive the route as it exists at the time I drive it, then I call it a clinch and if I can get a re-clinch later, that's fine. I don't know if or when I'll be back to this part of the country so I want to get as much accomplished as I can.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I'll be coming up 49, then 35 out of KC, but probably switch to US 69 somewhere north of Cameron. I'll spend the night at Bethany, then head north. I may stick with 69 or hit I-35 depending on weather,  traffic, or how much time I have.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mdcastle

Don't miss the gold tinted cement slab by the Blue Earth rest area. They've put an asphalt overlay on but it's still visible on the shoulders.

Highway63

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2017, 10:03:51 AM
^^^

I can start Thursday anywhere, as long as I get a clinch of I-380 and can manage to fill the holes in my county map. I've scouted out lodging possibilities all along the route. As for US 52, I'm not a stickler for re-clinches. If I drive the route as it exists at the time I drive it, then I call it a clinch and if I can get a re-clinch later, that's fine. I don't know if or when I'll be back to this part of the country so I want to get as much accomplished as I can.
I noticed after I posted that you don't have Linn County yet, so my suggested South English to Waterloo shortcut won't work. Then if you want 380 and 52, other alternate ideas get thrown out too.

Traveling I-380 between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo will get you Buchanan County earlier than expected. You can take IA 187 instead of 150 south from 3 to avoid Independence. Then to JUST duck into Jones County, instead of 38, stay on 20 to IA 136 to Business 151 in Cascade to US 151 (the south 151/Bus 151 intersection is in Jones).

I still think that's plenty ambitious, though.

Highway63

Quote from: froggie on July 10, 2017, 01:19:23 PM
But in short, the plan is to meet at 12:30pm in the parking garage for the Shops at West End
We're hoity AND toity!

Quote from: froggie on July 17, 2017, 05:32:27 PM
From here, we'll return to the start point so that HB and anyone else who desires can leave early.  Anticipated return time is around 4:15pm.  At this point, those who remain will have three choices.  First, we can do a driving tour of the completed MN 610 freeway.  I've included this in the PDF and it will take about an hour-and-a-half.  For those into route clinching, this option includes full clinches MN 610, MN 252, and MN 101 and will cover US 169 from I-394 to US 10 in Elk River.

The second choice is more aggressive, and will cover both the MN 610 freeway and the new Stillwater Bridge.  This option will take close to 3 hours, and I've also included it in the PDF (on the last page).  Route clinches for this option include MN 36, MN 101, MN 280, MN 610, US 169 from I-394 to US 10 in Elk River, and WI 64 from the state line to WI 35 North in Somerset.  There are subalternatives for this one that would trade MN 36 and MN 280 for other routes, subject to the groups preference.

As I suspected would be the case after a western base was set, the Stillwater Bridge is pretty out there. For me, neither of those late-leg alternatives have a good cost-benefit ratio. What I'm thinking is departing the group at 4:15, then going on my own up US 169 and I-94 to turn around at Rogers, then taking MN 610 and US 10 to US 52 out of the Twin Cities. That should be around 300 miles/5-ish hours and get me back in my own bed that night. (That also means I would not be one of the day's drivers.)

Now that the meet day has an agenda, are we still talking about a Twins game the night before?

froggie

Been trying to finish up a thesis paper that's due this week, so I haven't done any inquiring into the Twins game.

hbelkins

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on July 18, 2017, 11:30:05 AM
Traveling I-380 between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo will get you Buchanan County earlier than expected.

I see that now. Don't know how I missed it.

QuoteYou can take IA 187 instead of 150 south from 3 to avoid Independence. Then to JUST duck into Jones County, instead of 38, stay on 20 to IA 136 to Business 151 in Cascade to US 151 (the south 151/Bus 151 intersection is in Jones).

Looking at the map, there's an easier way to get Fayette, too. I could make a slight detour off US 52 onto US 18 to pick it up, then return to 52.

If I do that, I could return to the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area and then just head east on US 20 after getting Bremer and Chickasaw.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2017, 10:03:51 AM
^^^

Just watch your speed through Cedar Rapids on I-380.  They have speed cameras there that the DOT has told them to remove.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Mdcastle

You could also end the tour at the Stillwater bridges rather than going all the way to 610. Or else swing down to I-94 picking up the old toll bridge causeway at Hudson.  The opening will be "within 24 hours" of the 10:00 AM Aug 2 ribbon cutting, and the old bridge will close the same day. Out-of-car photo spots are the Beach Road and WI 35 overpasses, the MN scenic overlook, and the Stillwater riverfront. Beach road you have to walk several blocks from the nearest legal parking spot and parking is dear in downtown, but The WI 35 overpass and the MN overlook can be done quickly.

Silverdale bridge is in the area to. As in the Arcola high bridge but going to see it is a good way to get free room and board courtesy of the local sheriff.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2017, 01:40:45 PM
Just watch your speed through Cedar Rapids on I-380.  They have speed cameras there that the DOT has told them to remove.

I remember the news coverage about that. My trusty Valentine One will be on duty during my drive.

Isn't there also an app that lists speed cameras? I have Trapster but haven't used it in forever.

froggie

Monte:  Stillwater Bridge is an optional add-on depending on group consensus.  It is not part of the main tour.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2017, 02:04:58 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2017, 01:40:45 PM

I remember the news coverage about that. My trusty Valentine One will be on duty during my drive.

Isn't there also an app that lists speed cameras? I have Trapster but haven't used it in forever.

Waze lists speed cameras, etc. That app has been a lifesaver for me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Do we know that the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids use radar? Not all speed cameras do.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on July 20, 2017, 08:26:45 PM
Do we know that the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids use radar? Not all speed cameras do.

One of them ticketed me a few years ago. For whatever reason, my V1 didn't help.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

How else would they function, other than trying to pick up time lapses over pavement markings?

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2017, 10:46:08 PM

How else would they function, other than trying to pick up time lapses over pavement markings?
Laser?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2017, 10:22:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2017, 10:46:08 PM

Laser?

Quote from: oscar on July 20, 2017, 10:56:04 PM

One of them ticketed me a few years ago. For whatever reason, my V1 didn't help.

The V1 has a good laser detector, so if Oscar's  V1 didn't go off, it's probably not laser.

Duke87

It could be laser-based but not LIDAR. I know some of Maryland's speed cameras work by pointing two lasers at the pavement a known distance apart, and then measuring the time difference between when a vehicle breaks the first beam and when it breaks the second.

Could also be the same thing with piezoelectric strips rather than lasers.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on July 23, 2017, 12:23:03 AM
It could be laser-based but not LIDAR. I know some of Maryland's speed cameras work by pointing two lasers at the pavement a known distance apart, and then measuring the time difference between when a vehicle breaks the first beam and when it breaks the second.

Could also be the same thing with piezoelectric strips rather than lasers.

Yeah, there are several ways to do speed cameras that cannot be picked up by traditional detection. It's also worth noting that some of these devices are motion-activated, so there's a chance you won't pick it up on a detector until it's too late if there isn't a lot of traffic. Heck, some camera systems work solely on plate recognition, with two cameras spaced some distance apart. Those can't be picked up unless they're reported to an app such as Waze.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on July 23, 2017, 12:43:44 AM
Heck, some camera systems work solely on plate recognition, with two cameras spaced some distance apart. Those can't be picked up unless they're reported to an app such as Waze.

A.k.a. "section control" - space a couple cameras a few miles apart and ticket anyone who averages too high a speed between the two points. I know this is popular on freeways in the UK, Italy, and a few other European countries. But, has this actually been deployed anywhere in the US?

hbelkins

My attendance at this meet is now seriously in question. I've been laid up at home, off work, for a week because of a severe gout attack in my knee. I'm out of sick days. A couple of co-workers have generously agreed to donate sick days, but I'm concerned that I won't be recovered enough to make such a long trip. And even if I do get to come, there's a decent chance I'll have to scale back my trip and possibly eliminate a day of it. At least I know not to take prescription-strength ibuprofen for the pain so I won't end up in the hospital with acute kidney failure. (Which is bad, because two of the preferred treatments for gout are steroids and NSAIDs, and I can't really take either due to the state of my kidneys.)

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm out of the running for a Twins game on Friday, if that was still in the plans.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

It's kinda fallen by the wayside.  I haven't had time to look further into it, and my wife's time is so short here that we're trying to cram as many friends/family gatherings into next week as we can.  Skipping the Twins game allows us to see a few more.

SSOWorld

Kinda makes sense - 'sides, more time for ROADS anyway. :sombrero:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.