News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

froggie

Probably the only one of its kind.  Fairly certain the jughandles on 2 between 89 and the lake are not signed as such.  I know the jughandles on 15 near Camp Johnson aren't...

Dougtone

The Brookfield Floating Bridge on VT 65 closes for the season today, so I decided to write a blog article about the history of the floating bridge.

http://www.gribblenation.org/2021/11/brookfield-floating-bridge-vermont.html

froggie

WPTZ is reporting that the Champlain Parkway will begin construction in July.  The Burlington City Council unanimously approved construction in their meeting yesterday.  As noted elsewhere in the forum, the project will utilize and extend the abandoned I-189 spur west of US 7 up to Lakeshore Ave as a 2-lane parkway.  The project also includes reconstruction of Lakeshore Ave and Pine St.  The first phase (the spur extension) is expected to be completed in 2024 with the entire project completed in 2027.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2022, 10:58:30 PM
WPTZ is reporting that the Champlain Parkway will begin construction in July.  The Burlington City Council unanimously approved construction in their meeting yesterday.  As noted elsewhere in the forum, the project will utilize and extend the abandoned I-189 spur west of US 7 up to Lakeshore Ave as a 2-lane parkway.  The project also includes reconstruction of Lakeshore Ave and Pine St.  The first phase (the spur extension) is expected to be completed in 2024 with the entire project completed in 2027.

Dear roadgeeks, walk it now.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2022, 10:58:30 PM

But also, if it's supposed to connect the South End to downtown, why isn't the 2nd phase going to extend it...? No one's written what's in each phase

froggie

It's on the project website.  First phase is extending the spur up to Lakeshore Ave.  Second phase is reconstructing Pine St between Lakeshore and downtown (Main St).  The spur itself will not extend beyond Lakeshore Ave.

MATraveler128

So how will this reach downtown without demolishing buildings? There's an athletics center and a city market in the way. I'm guessing that this will face opposition from the residents there once again?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

froggie

It's not reaching downtown, not as a separate route anyway...there's a Superfund site with significant soil contamination between Lakeshore Ave and the rail yard (the former Pine Street Barge Canal).  Pine St will be used to get downtown, hence why Pine St reconstruction is part of the project.

froggie

Meanwhile, VTrans posted on Facebook that the VT 65 Floating Bridge in Brookfield is back open for the season.

Great Lakes Roads

froggie

I'll believe it when it actually happens.  R.L. Vallee has been fighting it tooth and nail because their gas stations would then have to compete with Costco.  The opening of gas pumps at the nearby Costco is hingent upon the DDI and related construction.

abqtraveler

Does VTrans still plan to complete the south leg of the Bennington Bypass, or is that project dead?  I haven't seen or heard anything on it in years.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MATraveler128

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 01, 2022, 09:51:41 AM
Does VTrans still plan to complete the south leg of the Bennington Bypass, or is that project dead?  I haven't seen or heard anything on it in years.

Looks like it is still in the planning stages as of now. I haven't seen any news about it since 2012.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

cl94

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 01, 2022, 12:15:55 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on June 01, 2022, 09:51:41 AM

Looks like it is still in the planning stages as of now. I haven't seen any news about it since 2012.

I wouldn't call it dead, but it's definitely not a priority.

It's not like VAOT has a ton of spare cash lying around to build it given the other projects they need just to keep existing roads open. The other two legs were far more important.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jcroyer80

Quote from: froggie on June 01, 2022, 08:14:55 AM
I'll believe it when it actually happens.  R.L. Vallee has been fighting it tooth and nail because their gas stations would then have to compete with Costco.  The opening of gas pumps at the nearby Costco is hingent upon the DDI and related construction.

Correct. Though it does seem promising.  Vtrans put the first phase out to bid (mostly for utility work) but rejected all the initial bids.  The plan seems to be to put it out to bid again in the fall.  Costco does have their pumps open, but only during "non-peak" hours.  During the times Costco has the pumps open, Skip's gas station matches the Costco prices.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/uad1WAwR26KAQBQC8
This is interesting how VTrans signs milepost exits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2022, 10:18:28 PM

I believe this was a temporary compromise by VTrans to get people used to seeing the mileposted exit numbers.  Rand McNally jumped the gun and has posted exit numbers in Vermont using the "milepoint" numbers, even though the sequential numbers are still the primary numbers. 

The VTrans site is here:
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/projects/exit-numbering

I believe another reason was they just didn't want to replace the signs.  Well, they could've just overlayed the numbers instead of having to make all the "milepoint exit #" signs they put up (granted only 1 per interchange, but still).  VT only has a dozen or so (if that) overhead signs with exit numbers, so adding overlays wouldn't have been that much more expensive... the feds payed for it anyway!

SectorZ

Quote from: shadyjay on June 16, 2022, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2022, 10:18:28 PM

I believe this was a temporary compromise by VTrans to get people used to seeing the mileposted exit numbers.  Rand McNally jumped the gun and has posted exit numbers in Vermont using the "milepoint" numbers, even though the sequential numbers are still the primary numbers. 

The VTrans site is here:
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/projects/exit-numbering

I believe another reason was they just didn't want to replace the signs.  Well, they could've just overlayed the numbers instead of having to make all the "milepoint exit #" signs they put up (granted only 1 per interchange, but still).  VT only has a dozen or so (if that) overhead signs with exit numbers, so adding overlays wouldn't have been that much more expensive... the feds payed for it anyway!

I was confused by something on the link. VT says the feds are paying 100% for the "milepoint exit #" signs. Notwithstanding that they should probably not be paying for them at all, I thought the feds only paid 90% for the changes, like in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. MassDOT in any releases claimed a $2.8M cost, 90% paid by the feds.

froggie

There are a few limited categories where FHWA will reimburse 100%.  Perhaps VTrans tapped one of those when they came to the agreement with FHWA.

Digging back through news articles at the time of installation, the signs cost about $250K.  Far less than MassDOT's cost, though Massachusetts also has a lot more interchanges than Vermont does.

The Ghostbuster

Now if only neighboring New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu would stop resisting and allow his state to convert to mileage-based exits as well. Unfortunately, he is too wound up in pride and nostalgia over being an "Exit 3"  kid. There must be another way to overcome his opposition.

froggie

I bet his opposition softens when FHWA starts withholding Federal highway funding...something they are legally enabled to do under the Federal laws related to the MUTCD.  Though I have not heard of any timeline for FHWA to actually start penalizing the remaining sequential states.

The threat of such is the only reason why Vermont negotiated with FWHA for these "Milepost Exit" signs as a temporary stopgap.  VTrans had been bitterly opposed to changing over beforehand.

vdeane

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 17, 2022, 11:06:42 AM
Now if only neighboring New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu would stop resisting and allow his state to convert to mileage-based exits as well. Unfortunately, he is too wound up in pride and nostalgia over being an "Exit 3"  kid. There must be another way to overcome his opposition.
Technically there's no "as well".  What Vermont has done hardly counts as a conversion.  There's only one sign per exit, usually on the last one in each direction before the gore.  You can't navigate off them.

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2022, 11:10:15 AM
I bet his opposition softens when FHWA starts withholding Federal highway funding...something they are legally enabled to do under the Federal laws related to the MUTCD.  Though I have not heard of any timeline for FHWA to actually start penalizing the remaining sequential states.

The threat of such is the only reason why Vermont negotiated with FWHA for these "Milepost Exit" signs as a temporary stopgap.  VTrans had been bitterly opposed to changing over beforehand.

Which is odd, given that the distance between exits makes VT perfect for mile-based numbers.  I think I remember something about the next round of sign rehabs doing a proper conversion (~2030), so I guess we'll see if that actually happens.  I'm still not sure why FHWA went along with this, given that the signage as installed isn't useful for navigation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

astralentity

Noticed today on the way to Williston two things going on:

New light installed at US 7 and Old Hollow Road in Ferrisburgh.

Repaving on VT 22A between VT 144 in Benson and VT 73 in Orwell.  Any specifics on this project?  I heard that repaving is planned for most of VT 22A between Fair Haven and Shoreham.

jcroyer80

Quote from: astralentity on June 17, 2022, 09:03:11 PM
Noticed today on the way to Williston two things going on:

New light installed at US 7 and Old Hollow Road in Ferrisburgh.

Repaving on VT 22A between VT 144 in Benson and VT 73 in Orwell.  Any specifics on this project?  I heard that repaving is planned for most of VT 22A between Fair Haven and Shoreham.

Repaving project is for about 15 miles from Fair Haven to Orwell (and including a small section of 22A south of Fair Haven to the NY border.   Vtrans is in the planning stages for a full reconstruction of 22A from Orwell to West Haven which will increase the travel lanes from 10 to 11 feet in width and increase the shoulders from 2 feet to 6 feet on each side (similar to the recent project in Charlotte.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.