News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

OKC-Colorado Springs Road Trip in 2022

Started by Cerlin, November 03, 2021, 02:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerlin

Hey y'all! Just created my account a few days ago (college student who has a newfound interest in Interstates) so this is my first real post on here.

In January of next year, I'm taking a road trip to Colorado Springs from the OKC metro. It's my first real road trip since moving out so I'm pretty excited since I've always wanted to visit the mountains in the winter. I'm a weather nerd by trade so I know for most, that wouldn't be an optimal time to do a road trip, but it's thrilling to me at least.

I'm curious for any suggestions on what to do on the way there and if my route makes sense. I plan to do the drive there in one day, stay for a few days, and then do the drive back in one day as well. I also wanted to take two separate routes as to see more of the country while also avoiding the Oklahoma panhandle.

There:
I-35 from Norman to OKC.
I-40 from OKC to Amarillo but driving on historic parts of 66 where they exist.
Stopping for lunch in Amarillo (I have family from there and want to see Cadillac Ranch)
U.S. 87 from Amarillo to junction with I-25
I-25 to C.S.

Back:
I-25 from C.S. to Denver
I-70 from Denver to Salina (I want a cozy inn burger)
I-135 from Salina to Wichita
1-35 From Wichita to Norman

Anything that would be cool to stop and see on either of those routes or anything that I should be weary of (other than Colorado in the wintertime)?

I appreciate any input!
Hypocritical Leftist who loves driving/highways and all modes of transportation.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Cerlin on November 03, 2021, 02:20:10 PM
Hey y'all! Just created my account a few days ago (college student who has a newfound interest in Interstates) so this is my first real post on here.

In January of next year, I'm taking a road trip to Colorado Springs from the OKC metro. It's my first real road trip since moving out so I'm pretty excited since I've always wanted to visit the mountains in the winter. I'm a weather nerd by trade so I know for most, that wouldn't be an optimal time to do a road trip, but it's thrilling to me at least.

I'm curious for any suggestions on what to do on the way there and if my route makes sense. I plan to do the drive there in one day, stay for a few days, and then do the drive back in one day as well. I also wanted to take two separate routes as to see more of the country while also avoiding the Oklahoma panhandle.

There:
I-35 from Norman to OKC.
Stopping for lunch in Amarillo (I have family from there and want to see Cadillac Ranch)
I-25 to C.S.

Back:
I-25 from C.S. to Denver

Anything that would be cool to stop and see on either of those routes or anything that I should be weary of (other than Colorado in the wintertime)?

I appreciate any input!

First things first, welcome to the forum!  Exciting to take your first big road trip.  Your route obviously makes sense if you want two "traditional" routes (not taking every small state highway for instance).  One thing to realize is that the parts you're most likely to hit bad winter driving are maybe not the parts you think.  I-70 in eastern Colorado and western Kansas will easily make for the worst possible driving, more so than I-25 up against the mountains in CO.  Since there's not a damn thing out there, the wind and snow can be really bad.  It's also the area that is most likely to be closed because of weather, so I might recommend taking that way on your outward leg since obviously you'll know the day before whether or not the weather will be bad and can adjust accordingly.

Chris

Cerlin

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: Cerlin on November 03, 2021, 02:20:10 PM

There:
I-35 from Norman to OKC.
I-25 to C.S.

Back:
I-25 from C.S. to Denver

I appreciate any input!

First things first, welcome to the forum!  Exciting to take your first big road trip.  Your route obviously makes sense if you want two "traditional" routes (not taking every small state highway for instance).  One thing to realize is that the parts you're most likely to hit bad winter driving are maybe not the parts you think.  I-70 in eastern Colorado and western Kansas will easily make for the worst possible driving, more so than I-25 up against the mountains in CO.  Since there's not a damn thing out there, the wind and snow can be really bad.  It's also the area that is most likely to be closed because of weather, so I might recommend taking that way on your outward leg since obviously you'll know the day before whether or not the weather will be bad and can adjust accordingly.

Chris

Good to know, thank you. I'll definitely keep that in mind if it looks like the weather will be bad and I can call an audible if I need to take the I-25 mountain route instead.
Hypocritical Leftist who loves driving/highways and all modes of transportation.

JayhawkCO

Just FYI, I-25 certainly isn't a mountain road, but it's just east of the Front Range, so a lot of the time, the snow and wind is blocked to some degree.  The only place notoriously bad for snow/wind on I-25 is Monument Pass just north of Colorado Springs.

Chris

Cerlin

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 02:58:49 PM
Just FYI, I-25 certainly isn't a mountain road, but it's just east of the Front Range, so a lot of the time, the snow and wind is blocked to some degree.  The only place notoriously bad for snow/wind on I-25 is Monument Pass just north of Colorado Springs.

Chris
Yeah, given the topography of the area I kind of figured as much, but it's good to know that, thank you!

JayhawkCO

Cerlin

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 03:04:07 PM
What are you doing in The Springs?

Chris
I have a few things planned

-Garden of The Gods/Cave of the Winds if it's not a blizzard (I've seen pictures in the winter and it looks amazing)
-Gonna spend a day in Denver and go to the Denver Art Museum/spend time in Downtown
-National Museum of World War 2 Aviation looks super cool
-If the weather is really nice I'm gonna do some mountain driving
-Old Colorado City

Any suggestions on must-dos in the area?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Cerlin on November 03, 2021, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 03:04:07 PM
What are you doing in The Springs?

Chris
I have a few things planned

-Garden of The Gods/Cave of the Winds if it's not a blizzard (I've seen pictures in the winter and it looks amazing)
-Gonna spend a day in Denver and go to the Denver Art Museum/spend time in Downtown
-National Museum of World War 2 Aviation looks super cool
-If the weather is really nice I'm gonna do some mountain driving
-Old Colorado City

Any suggestions on must-dos in the area?

I'm not as familiar with the Springs and surrounds, but if you wanted to get up into the mountains more, heading up US24 a bit, you can stop in Manitou Springs which is a nice little spot to walk around.  Not sure what Covid restrictions and such are, but visiting the Air Force Academy is kinda fun.  If the weather cooperates and you want a little side trip off of I-25 in southern Colorado, CO12 is a really nice side trip (make the full loop utilizing US160 between La Veta and Walsenburg).

Chris

jlam

You can try the Incline as well! Not too hard, but very steep.

Cerlin

I'll take a look at CO 12 and the incline!! ^^ Thanks for the suggestions!

Scott5114

Welcome to the forum from another Normanite! Don't blame you for wanting to avoid the panhandle. It's nice to visit...once...to get the counties...and then that's probably enough.

Just got back from a trip to Western Kansas. Before you set out on that leg of the trip, make sure you pack snacks. The map makes it look like there's a lot of towns along the Interstate where you can stop and get something to eat. There's not–most of those towns are so small they just have a gas station, if that. Your best option for a gas-and-food stop is going to be Hays, which is the biggest city between Denver and Salina. There's also a pair of dogbone roundabouts along US-183, which may be worth taking a few minutes to check out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Cerlin

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 12:41:42 PM
Welcome to the forum from another Normanite! Don't blame you for wanting to avoid the panhandle. It's nice to visit...once...to get the counties...and then that's probably enough.

Just got back from a trip to Western Kansas. Before you set out on that leg of the trip, make sure you pack snacks. The map makes it look like there's a lot of towns along the Interstate where you can stop and get something to eat. There's not–most of those towns are so small they just have a gas station, if that. Your best option for a gas-and-food stop is going to be Hays, which is the biggest city between Denver and Salina. There's also a pair of dogbone roundabouts along US-183, which may be worth taking a few minutes to check out.
Just saw this now but I appreciate the recommendations! I'd driven the leg up to Salina before but never across 70 all the way. That's all good to know–I like to eat so I'll make sure to have enough food!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.