News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why does Iowa 58 still exist north of US 20?

Started by Molandfreak, December 24, 2021, 12:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

This could easily just be a second independent part of Iowa 27. Why don't they just get rid of it and leave "old 58"  signs up for a year or two?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

bugo

iowahighways

Probably because the locals refer to it as "Highway 58" . The designation was there before IA 27 was.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Molandfreak

Quote from: iowahighways on December 24, 2021, 09:45:48 AM
Probably because the locals refer to it as "Highway 58" . The designation was there before IA 27 was.
Only by 8 years. If they had removed it in 2001 like they should have, the locals would get the picture by now.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SkyPesos

Probably the same reason why I-894 still exist.

dvferyance

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 24, 2021, 02:42:23 PM
Probably the same reason why I-894 still exist.
894 still exist so there can still be an east west route. It would be confusing if you had a wrong way north south concurrency going east and west.

ran4sh

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 24, 2021, 11:07:49 AM
Quote from: iowahighways on December 24, 2021, 09:45:48 AM
Only by 8 years. If they had removed it in 2001 like they should have, the locals would get the picture by now.

Having to change addresses costs money and causes inconveniences. I'm not sure if in this case the name "highway 58" is used as the street name for the address, but if it is then that would be why there's resistance to changing it. Of course, that kind of problem could just be avoided by giving the road a name that isn't the route number.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

NE2

Quote from: ran4sh on February 15, 2022, 07:49:53 PM
Having to change addresses costs money and causes inconveniences. I'm not sure if in this case the name "highway 58" is used as the street name for the address, but if it is then that would be why there's resistance to changing it. Of course, that kind of problem could just be avoided by giving the road a name that isn't the route number.
There appear to be no addresses on IA 58, unless this property has one (rather than Shawnee Road).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DandyDan

Possibly to justify the continued existence of Iowa 58 south of US 20 to US 63. That road seems like little more than a glorified county road.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.