News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wordle

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 13, 2022, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: english si on April 14, 2022, 01:28:15 PM
If the sole aim of the turn is, as you seem to think, to guess the word correctly, then that pretty much blind guess of a turn is going be wasted anyway unless you are exceptionally lucky. No, the aim of a turn is to get you to the solution as quickly as possible.

You should never play Twenty Questions with children.  It would drive you mad.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

I've been a daily player for 3 months. I don't find it real difficult, but I do take my time. I always start with STARE and base my next guess on the feedback; I don't think I've used the same second word twice and almost always try my next word based on the number of correct letters in the first guess (e.g., my next guess will start with S if S is my only correct letter is S as the first letter). Currently on my laptop, I usually get it in 3-4 but I've had 9 wins with two guesses, 11 with five guesses, and 5 with six guesses. One of the six-guess wins involved "wasting" a fifth guess on a junk word to eliminate several letters like in the S(x)AKE example above. I've only not gotten it once and my current streak is 49 games thanks to a missed day. (My one failure was on my desktop during my few weeks playing.)

I don't play any other variations of the game.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2022, 01:57:56 PM
If the sole aim of the turn is, as you seem to think, to guess the word correctly, then that pretty much blind guess of a turn is going be wasted anyway unless you are exceptionally lucky. No, the aim of a turn is to get you to the solution as quickly as possible.

I believe that is why Guess Who was invented.

webny99

We're talking about 1 letter slot do you:
  • use it to check a tenth letter? or
  • use it on a gamble that you might not only be lucky enough to not only guess all 4 other letters from the pool of 22 remaining letters correctly, but also in the right places?

You're trying to guess all of the other four letters regardless, so if you're so confident in picking the right letters, why wouldn't you just pick a similar word that leaves the letter in place?

When there's 26 letters and only 6 turns, the maths just doesn't add up to go wasting letter slots on forlorn hopes of a jackpot rather than trying another possible letter.

But again, it's not a forlorn hope of a jackpot because you know with 100% certainty that you need that letter in that place. So I still don't see why you wouldn't just pick a similar word, with 4 of the same letters that you would have tried anyways, that keeps the correct letter in place.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2022, 02:45:50 PM
We're talking about 1 letter slot do you:
  • use it to check a tenth letter? or
  • use it on a gamble that you might not only be lucky enough to not only guess all 4 other letters from the pool of 22 remaining letters correctly, but also in the right places?

You're trying to guess all of the other four letters regardless, so if you're so confident in picking the right letters, why wouldn't you just pick a similar word that leaves the letter in place?

When there's 26 letters and only 6 turns, the maths just doesn't add up to go wasting letter slots on forlorn hopes of a jackpot rather than trying another possible letter.

But again, it's not a forlorn hope of a jackpot because you know with 100% certainty that you need that letter in that place. So I still don't see why you wouldn't just pick a similar word, with 4 of the same letters that you would have tried anyways, that keeps the correct letter in place.
Because keeping the correct letter in place does borderline nothing for you. You don't get bonus points for that.

ClassicHasClass

My wife and I are regular Wordle players (on a private instance, which we copied over when the NYT announced their purchase).

I've also made a Wordle-adjacent game for the KIM-1, in case there are other vintage computer nerds here besides Njroadfan: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2022/02/kimdle-sorta-wordle-for-kim-1.html

english si

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2022, 01:57:56 PM

Good analogy, but I don't have a problem with people making it harder for themselves for the fun of the extra challenge or out of ignorance as to how to approach a puzzle.

What I have an issue with the idea that I'm somehow wasting a turn by seeking an advantage on subsequent goes rather than get a tiny chance of glory. That somehow I making it harder by not playing hard mode.

I don't think children would feel I wasted a question by asking a question that couldn't be the answer but helped whittle it down (unless it's obvious what the answer is and my question is like prolonging hide and seek because they haven't learnt to hide properly and you can see them, which can frustrate slightly older ones playing along).

CoreySamson

I'm not bad, but not exactly amazing at the game (only lost once). I usually get it in 3-5 moves. My starting word every time is TACOS (idk why), and my backup is REIGN.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

All Wordle players should take note that there's a reason why people on Wheel of Fortune picked RSTLNE in the bonus round so often that the show started just giving it to them for free, and now everyone goes CDMA for the four letters they actually get to pick.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

My patience for Wordle is like my patience for most other things. Very often, I'll just blow through the last two picks if I'm drawing blanks just to find out what the word of the day is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2022, 05:57:00 PM
All Wordle players should take note that there's a reason why people on Wheel of Fortune picked RSTLNE in the bonus round so often that the show started just giving it to them for free, and now everyone goes CDMA for the four letters they actually get to pick.

That's why I do STERN or TERNS as my first word.

hbelkins

BACON is usually my first word (because it's bacon!) but who knows if it was ever the answer before I started playing?

If something I love yields no hits, then I usually follow up with something I hate: LIVER.

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 17, 2022, 07:15:41 PM

That's why I do STERN or TERNS as my first word.

Same, although my starter of choice is RENTS because I think it's more likely to be accurate with letter positions. I even call this the RSTLNE strategy, which I could swear I'd posted in here but it must have been to a different forum.

formulanone

About half the time, I go with the same few words; the other half, whatever five-letter word that's on my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

webny99

Wordle 302 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Got it in 5 today, but 4 guesses should have been... well, if you've done today's, you know exactly how to complete that sentence.  :biggrin:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on April 18, 2022, 04:40:41 PM
Wordle 302 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Got it in 5 today, but 4 guesses should have been... well, if you've done today's, you know exactly how to complete that sentence.  :biggrin:

I got it in 3 today. Was pretty happy with that.

Scott5114

Octordle is being weird today.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Yesterday took out my second-choice word if my only result from BACON is the O.

JayhawkCO

My first 2. Yay.

Wordle 309 2/6*

🟨🟨🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

wriddle082

Now they have one for fans of The Office: Dunderdle

https://dunderdle.com

Dunderdle #11
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

mrsman

I also play the math version called nerdle:

https://nerdlegame.com/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.