News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What kind of Camera does everybody use?

Started by AsphaltPlanet, March 03, 2017, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

For the last 5 years, a Panasonic-Lumix DMC-ZS19.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

brad.jons

I've been using my Canon EOS 90D DSLR for a few years now, and I really love it!! But it's time to step up my game. My current lens has seen better days, thanks to some scratches from all that use. Plus, I'm itching to add some variety to my photography. I've got my eye on a long lens for those far-off shots, and I'm even thinking about getting up close and personal with some eyelash pics. It's time to shake things up and explore new horizons in my photography journey! If you've got any lens recommendations or tips, please share!

dgolub

Sony HX400V for shooting manually.  Sony RX0 to mount inside my car and set to shoot every second while I'm driving.

1995hoo

I had forgotten about this thread. Updating my prior post, nowadays I mostly use my iPhone X for photography just for convenience and because the results are usually pretty good. I seldom take my DSLR with me when I travel these days. In my earlier post I mention that I was considering something along the lines of my father's Panasonic Lumix point-and-shoot. Ultimately I didn't buy one of those because when he died, I got the one he had (my brother got his other point-and-shoot). I've taken it with me on a few trips when I didn't want to take the DSLR, especially for air travel due to carry-on limitations (I don't like to check a bag), but I've still wound up using my phone more simply for convenience. I do have a small tripod for my iPhone and I can trigger the shutter using an Apple Watch when I want to be in the picture and I don't want a stupid photo with the camera held at arm's length.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hunty2022

I use an old little iPhone 8. I've taken over 10,000 photos with it. I don't want to upgrade my phone.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 23, 2023, 09:12:52 AM
I use an old little iPhone 8. I've taken over 10,000 photos with it. I don't want to upgrade my phone.

For road video, I have a Gopro Hero 10 Black that suction-cups onto my car. Any still photos I use my phone, or if I have the Gopro on me while we're stopped, I'll use that. Thing takes BANANAS pictures.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2017, 12:39:02 PM
I'm using a Canon SX20 IS digital camera. It has a whole lot of features, including programmable and fully automatic, ISO 3200, manual focus, and a dual viewscreen/viewfinder. I'm quite fond of it. It's an older high-end point-and-shoot, just a step or two below a DSLR.

I also have a little Canon pocket-sized point-and-shoot (A1100 IS, I think) that's handy for when I don't want to lug the big camera around.

Back in the day, I got pretty adept at using a Minolta 35mm SLR camera behind the wheel, but I've gotten so used to using a camera with a viewscreen that I don't know if I would want to try juggling a big camera while driving.

My brother gave me an old Nikon DSLR camera he had, but I don't use it for road photography. It doesn't permit viewing the scene on its viewscreen, only the small viewfinder, so that negates it for my shooting-while-driving endeavors.

I've never mastered the art of taking pictures while driving with my phone, and I'm no fan of the digital zoom that phones have to use because they don't have adjustable lenses. In fact, I keep digital zoom turned off on my camera.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2023, 10:37:43 PM
My brother gave me an old Nikon DSLR camera he had, but I don't use it for road photography. It doesn't permit viewing the scene on its viewscreen, only the small viewfinder, so that negates it for my shooting-while-driving endeavors.

Is there a setting for what Nikon calls "Live View"? Honestly, I have to look up many of the features online to get an idea what they do, and read feedback on when that setting change is desirable. The drawback to that kind of view is that it usually wears down batteries faster.

I bought a Canon EOS R last year, as the price dropped significantly. It's amazing what you can do with it, but honestly, it gets to a point where I have to block-out features so they don't override your desired settings. Fortunately, Canon allows all of that kind of customization, but it took me a few weeks to set it up how I'd like it. Those touch screens are easy to use, but also easy to override accidentally...it's a good thing there's an easy Lock button!

The 24-105mm RF kit lens is about all I need for road and travel photography, but the 100-400mm zoom is nice for a few hard-to-reach shots. A rotating polarizer is a must.

I still have two 50mm f/1.8 prime lenses (EF and FD), though each needs an adaptor for the RF mount. The EF 50mm was a great road lens but the crop-factor yields a wider angle than I desire. The FD version is all-manual, but that's an advantage when the autofocus can't find your desired point (f/8-11 and tweak the focus just closer to infinity, and you're set).

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on March 03, 2017, 08:34:22 PM
The vast majority of my photos are from my 10 year old Kodak EasyShare C653.
I'm still using this camera, although I should look at replacing it by the end of 2025 as the year resets to 2006 after 12/31/25, and I'm too lazy to figure out a way to store dates properly for my website so they all just read the image metadata on the fly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 07, 2017, 07:52:13 PM
For the last 5 years, a Panasonic-Lumix DMC-ZS19.

4 or 5 months after this post (back in 2017), I went and bought a Nikon D5300, primarily for concert photography.
The Lumix lasted lasted till October 2020 when the lense got jammed.
Nowadays I'll mix in photos from my Galaxy S20 cellphone, that I purchased last spring, with the D5300.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on September 24, 2023, 09:36:09 AM

Is there a setting for what Nikon calls "Live View"? Honestly, I have to look up many of the features online to get an idea what they do, and read feedback on when that setting change is desirable. The drawback to that kind of view is that it usually wears down batteries faster.

It's a D80. No live view.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2023, 10:44:36 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 24, 2023, 09:36:09 AM

It's a D80. No live view.

Oh, never mind...that camera was introduced in 2006. (I'm not hip to the Nikon model timeline.) It might be fun with you have some older Nikkor lenses hanging around, and various third-parties make adaptors, usually between $20-50, for all sorts of old manual lenses. But one can get 10MP images from cell phones nowadays. Even their Coolpix series produces some decent shots, from what I've seen from others' works. Although, I have to wonder why one would want an $700 fixed-lens Coolpix when that's above the entry point for their beginner DSLR or mirrorless lineup. But there's much less expensive versions of that lineup as well.

Probably would be great for still road images, but would depend on your own confidence for moving shots. One problem with most AF lenses is that adjusting them in manual-focus mode (and setting it to something like f/8 near 30ft-to-infinity) is quite sloppy, rotating movement is vague, and it requires a lot of patience.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.