News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

The first of many major road projects in Northwest Indiana (not currently in progress) is scheduled to start March 4.

The Indiana Avenue bridge in downtown Laporte (which carries both US 35 and Indiana 39) will undergo a bridge deck replacement. Only one lane of traffic will be open in each direction, as crews will work on the northbound side of the bridge first, then shift focus to the southbound side. The project is scheduled for October completion.

There is no viable detour, even for local traffic. It's even likely that the surface street alternatives (Madison and Rockwood Street to the west, Detroit Avenue and Clear Lake Boulevard to the east) may take longer due to the large volume of train traffic that runs through the area. Those looking for long range travel southbound on Indiana 39 or US 35 may want to consider using US 421 (if coming from the west) or US 31 (if coming from the east) and US 6 to reach those routes.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 24, 2019, 11:07:26 PM
The first of many major road projects in Northwest Indiana (not currently in progress) is scheduled to start March 4.

The Indiana Avenue bridge in downtown Laporte (which carries both US 35 and Indiana 39) will undergo a bridge deck replacement. Only one lane of traffic will be open in each direction, as crews will work on the northbound side of the bridge first, then shift focus to the southbound side. The project is scheduled for October completion.

There is no viable detour, even for local traffic. It’s even likely that the surface street alternatives (Madison and Rockwood Street to the west, Detroit Avenue and Clear Lake Boulevard to the east) may take longer due to the large volume of train traffic that runs through the area. Those looking for long range travel southbound on Indiana 39 or US 35 may want to consider using US 421 (if coming from the west) or US 31 (if coming from the east) and US 6 to reach those routes.

And do not forget that they will start on SR 2/US 20 interchange project this year as well... it's going to be a mess this year in La Porte County in terms of construction and the impacts from them...

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 17, 2017, 06:20:10 PM
it will one day be widened, the tell tale signs are there.  the ditch road bridge is going to be raised and lengthened next year, township line in 2020ish
The Ditch Road overpass of I-465 will be replaced, starting next Monday & running through September 30. Source: https://cbs4indy.com/2019/02/25/work-to-replace-ditch-road-bridge-over-i-465-set-to-begin-march-4/

tdindy88

I just got a copy of the new 2019 Indiana Roadway Map. In case anyone is interested here's a few noticable changes to it.

-The biggest and probably most anticipated change is the addition of Section 5 to Interstate 69 between Bloomington and Martinsville complete with exit numbers.

-New bypasses around Boonville and North Vernon (SR 61 and US 50 respectively)

-County seats are now marked on the map with an astrisk

-What appears to be CR 17 in Elkhart County is marked as an expressway from the Michigan state line south to SR 119 west of Goshen. US 33 appears to have been moved slightly on its new alignment in Goshen as well.

-One thing I've noticed that is still on the map, the travel plazas out by Fremont on the Toll Road, closed for several years now.

That's it for now, as usual no city inserts on the map other than Indianapolis and the map format of having ads and stuff on the backside is the same as it's been.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 24, 2019, 11:59:22 PM

And do not forget that they will start on SR 2/US 20 interchange project this year as well... it's going to be a mess this year in La Porte County in terms of construction and the impacts from them...

Just wanted to add that the interchange project will start on March 14... cross traffic to/from La Porte or New Carlisle will have to find a different way to get around this closure...

The detours will be the following:
If you are heading to/from La Porte, the detour will be to take U.S. 35 to IN SR 39 to U.S. 20
If you are heading to/from New Carlisle, the detour will be to take IN SR 2 to U.S. 20/31 to U.S. 20
Or take the county roads (if you are a local)

Completion is expected to be in November of this year... One lane of traffic will be open in each direction on U.S. 20/IN SR 2 (Michigan City-South Bend traffic)

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 24, 2019, 11:07:26 PM

There is no viable detour, even for local traffic. It's even likely that the surface street alternatives (Madison and Rockwood Street to the west, Detroit Avenue and Clear Lake Boulevard to the east) may take longer due to the large volume of train traffic that runs through the area. Those looking for long range travel southbound on Indiana 39 or US 35 may want to consider using US 421 (if coming from the west) or US 31 (if coming from the east) and US 6 to reach those routes.

I just went through that construction zone today, and it's a mess right now... no trucks allowed on the bridge due to narrower lanes than usual...

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 06, 2019, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 24, 2019, 11:59:22 PM

Just wanted to add that the interchange project will start on March 14... cross traffic to/from La Porte or New Carlisle will have to find a different way to get around this closure...

The detours will be the following:
If you are heading to/from La Porte, the detour will be to take U.S. 35 to IN SR 39 to U.S. 20
If you are heading to/from New Carlisle, the detour will be to take IN SR 2 to U.S. 20/31 to U.S. 20
Or take the county roads (if you are a local)

Completion is expected to be in November of this year... One lane of traffic will be open in each direction on U.S. 20/IN SR 2 (Michigan City-South Bend traffic)

So part of the LaPorte detour requires you to drive through the other major construction zone, which will compound delays. At this point, it would probably be quicker to use I-94, US 12, and M-51 to get to South Bend (toll-free).

With that said, it will be a tremendous improvement over what is currently there; it worked wonders when this same project was performed at the intersection (now interchange) of Vale Park Road and Indiana 49 in Valparaiso.

On a related note, there are talks of adding traffic lights just east of said interchange. There have been concerns about Cougar Road at both US 20 (which carries a 55 mph speed limit at that point) and Indiana 2 (which is a divided highway carrying a 60 mph speed limit at that point). This street is where New Prairie High School is located, where bus traffic is quite high at times. INDOT is said to be working with Laporte County officials on that matter.

SSR_317

Indy Construction Alert: A major project begins today on Fall Creek Parkway, North Drive and Binford Boulevard (former SR 37) on the northeast side of Indianapolis that will run through most of the rest of 2019. The goal is to improve all 17 intersections, from 38th/Fall Creek to 75th/Binford/I-69, and to replace pavement & subsurface as needed to deter future chuckholes from developing. all traffic signals along this stretch will be upgraded (and hopefully, interconnected). Sadly, a badly needed third travel lane in each direction between just north of 46th Street and I-69 is not part of this plan (IMHO, this would be the ideal time to add the sorely needed extra capacity). This project is the responsibility of the City of Indianapolis. Expect even more delays than usual on Binford & FCPND through November, as well as additional traffic along Allisonville Road and on I-465 & I-70 between downtown Indy & Castleton.

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 11, 2019, 12:00:57 PM
Indy Construction Alert: A major project begins today on Fall Creek Parkway, North Drive and Binford Boulevard (former SR 37) on the northeast side of Indianapolis that will run through most of the rest of 2019. The goal is to improve all 17 intersections, from 38th/Fall Creek to 75th/Binford/I-69, and to replace pavement & subsurface as needed to deter future chuckholes from developing. all traffic signals along this stretch will be upgraded (and hopefully, interconnected). Sadly, a badly needed third travel lane in each direction between just north of 46th Street and I-69 is not part of this plan (IMHO, this would be the ideal time to add the sorely needed extra capacity). This project is the responsibility of the City of Indianapolis. Expect even more delays than usual on Binford & FCPND through November, as well as additional traffic along Allisonville Road and on I-465 & I-70 between downtown Indy & Castleton.

INDOT will widen the 75th st intersection to 3 lanes in each direction to get more cars through the intersection there, this will be part of the "clear path" project that will finally fix the clusterfuck that is 465/69.  Unfortunately, the City of Potholeville is too poor to do anything of significance anywhere to any of its roads.

tdindy88

If Binford was still SR 37 INDOT could have been responsible for this project, which would free up some money to work on other city streets. Instead the city has to rebuild a roadway that is basically used by Hamilton County commuters without any of them footing the bill for it.

SSR_317

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 13, 2019, 09:37:35 PM
If Binford was still SR 37 INDOT could have been responsible for this project, which would free up some money to work on other city streets. Instead the city has to rebuild a roadway that is basically used by Hamilton County commuters without any of them footing the bill for it.
That is not entirely true, as I live in Marion County and use Binford Blvd all the time. But I understand your point. Too bad it was relinquished long before SR 431 was, where the state gave tons of money to Carmel to build their totally inadequate "Keystone Parkway" (I still call by it's proper name... Keystone AVENUE).

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 14, 2019, 01:05:14 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 13, 2019, 09:37:35 PM
That is not entirely true, as I live in Marion County and use Binford Blvd all the time. But I understand your point. Too bad it was relinquished long before SR 431 was, where the state gave tons of money to Carmel to build their totally inadequate "Keystone Parkway" (I still call by it's proper name... Keystone AVENUE).

Ya it would have been nice if they upgraded Binford/FC Pkwy N Dr. to an expressway, widen it to 6 lanes and add roundabout interchanges at each cross street, with the expressway ending at 38th st., and continuing with at grade roundabouts until capitol ave and removing the suicide lane.  They could at least fix the lack of turn lanes at many of those intersections down there. 

silverback1065

looks like SR 267 now just exists from I-74 to 65 and from US 40 to I-70.  Portion south of I-70 must have been recently decommissioned, INDOT maps show it gone and street view in downtown Mooresville confirms it.

https://gis.in.gov/apps/dot/mapinsert/

paulthemapguy

^ Last April/May I went driving around that area near Plainfield, IN, looking for an IL-267 marker.  I didn't find anything for that southern segment at all. 
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tdindy88

That doesn't sound surprising, I would imagine it would be hard to find an Illinois 267 route marker around Plainfield, Indiana.

But on a more serious note, this now separates SR 267 from its parent SR 67. The Plainfield part has to be bound to go eventually. I can see the 74 to 65 part sticking around for now but now I think it may need a new number now.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 27, 2019, 07:56:40 PM
That doesn't sound surprising, I would imagine it would be hard to find an Illinois 267 route marker around Plainfield, Indiana.

But on a more serious note, this now separates SR 267 from its parent SR 67. The Plainfield part has to be bound to go eventually. I can see the 74 to 65 part sticking around for now but now I think it may need a new number now.
This is one of the main things that I loathe about INDOT.  They are cutting up highways all over the place, and if you are not a local, you may have been depending on following one highway to another one, and now they disappear on you.  Yep, they may be saving money, but part of their purpose should be to make transportation easier within the state.

Interstate 69 Fan

I honestly don't see a need to decommission segments of 267 in the first place. I could understand north of I-74, but 267 is a better route number for Ronald Reagan Parkway, which parallels 267 for all of it's route, even the plans to extend it from 74 to 65 have it paralleling 267.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on March 28, 2019, 02:37:08 PM
I honestly don't see a need to decommission segments of 267 in the first place. I could understand north of I-74, but 267 is a better route number for Ronald Reagan Parkway, which parallels 267 for all of it's route, even the plans to extend it from 74 to 65 have it paralleling 267.

RR Pkwy was going to be 267, county offered a road swap, INDOT refused.  Also the 74 to 65 portion will likely be axed when RR Pkwy is extended to 65, it's currently under design, have no idea when it will be built though.

hockeyjohn

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 28, 2019, 02:20:28 PM

This is one of the main things that I loathe about INDOT.  They are cutting up highways all over the place, and if you are not a local, you may have been depending on following one highway to another one, and now they disappear on you.  Yep, they may be saving money, but part of their purpose should be to make transportation easier within the state.

Agreed.   Indiana should follow what Florida often does by signing truncated State Roads with the blue/yellow pentagonal marker using the same number for continuity.   INDOT often pays the county or municipality for required maintenance or does major maintenance prior to the turnback and the signing requirement could be written into the agreement.    If the receiving county/municipality does not want the former traffic load on a now county road or local street, e.g.  SR 22 in Kokomo, then the State and receiving entity would need to agree on an alternate route that would be signed for continuity.

jnewkirk77

267 hasn't met 67 for quite a few years; it's been no closer than a few blocks west of it for at least the 25+ years I've been driving.  And at one point, 42, 144 and 267 all ended at the intersection of Indiana and High streets.  Sometime in the last 15-20 years, INDOT moved the ends of 42 and 144 out to 67.

nwi_navigator_1181

Back to work...

Today, INDOT has reopened southbound I-65 to limited traffic between the Indiana Toll Road entrance and I-80/94 in Gary. Traffic from the Indiana Toll Road and nearby 15th Avenue can enter I-65 southbound and cross the bridge project zone, but traffic from US 12/20 will still be unable to enter and will be detoured via Indiana 51 (Ripley Street) or Indiana 53 (Broadway) to I-80/94.

The project was expected to be finished sometime this summer, but crews discovered one of the piers in need of a complete replacement, which will push completion to late fall.

US 12 will be repaved from the marina bridge (just west of the Midwest Steel/Lakefront bridge) to Indiana 149, starting next week. This project is expected to last through mid-June, with one lane open in each direction.

Work resumes on Indiana 51 in Lake Station to finish the northbound span of the Burns Ditch bridge, located just north of I-80/94. This project is expected to wrap up this summer.

Watch for lane closures on I-65 around the 101st Avenue bridge. The overpass is currently being replaced, and all lane closures will be during nighttime hours. Work is expected to finish in time for the next school year.

As you may already know, the US 20/Indiana 2 interchange project is underway near Rolling Prairie. The north-south movements are cut off during the project, so New Carlisle and Laporte traffic will have to follow the designated detours, or do some major doubling back via the St. Joseph Valley Parkway or Indiana 39.

Welcome back to construction season.

NWI_Irish96

US 41/Indianapolis Blvd overpass over the tracks in Highland is back down to one lane each way.  I thought that wrapped up last summer but apparently not.

Main St on the Munster/Dyer border is closed until June for a bridge replacement.

The 45th St/Calumet Ave railroad underpass project is beginning soon, with a closure of 45th St east of Calumet being the first closure.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

nwi_navigator_1181

On top of that...

There's more major roadwork on tap along US 20 in Laporte County. Along with the dog bone interchange near Rolling Prairie, major work is underway from Laporte-Porter County Line Road to the Indiana 212/US 35 interchange.

For the entire aforementioned stretch, US 20 will undergo full resurfacing. The stretch from Woodland Avenue to Johnson Road will also include a center left turn lane, which will allow safer left turns for eastbound drivers entering into the plazas. During construction in this area, one lane will be open in each direction, with a temporary center turn lane to keep traffic moving. All work is expected to conclude in October.

As mentioned upthread, drivers who have interests in South Bend, Mishawaka, or Elkhart, and not willing to use the Indiana Toll Road, should consider jumping into Michigan via I-94, picking up US 12, and returning to Indiana via US 31 or M-57 (Indiana 933 south of the state line).

silverback1065

gas tax dollars at work.

INDOT plans to repave all interstates in Marion county this yr (the asphalt portions)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 03, 2019, 06:18:37 PM
On top of that...

There's more major roadwork on tap along US 20 in Laporte County. Along with the dog bone interchange near Rolling Prairie, major work is underway from Laporte-Porter County Line Road to the Indiana 212/US 35 interchange.

For the entire aforementioned stretch, US 20 will undergo full resurfacing. The stretch from Woodland Avenue to Johnson Road will also include a center left turn lane, which will allow safer left turns for eastbound drivers entering into the plazas. During construction in this area, one lane will be open in each direction, with a temporary center turn lane to keep traffic moving. All work is expected to conclude in October.

As mentioned upthread, drivers who have interests in South Bend, Mishawaka, or Elkhart, and not willing to use the Indiana Toll Road, should consider jumping into Michigan via I-94, picking up US 12, and returning to Indiana via US 31 or M-57 (Indiana 933 south of the state line).

US 20/IN 2 between I-94 and South Bend should still be fine.  Being down to one lane at the interchange construction isn't really any more of a slowdown than having the light there.  At least not on weekends when I am going that way.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.