AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia  (Read 3337 times)

Joseph R P

• A fan of getting people places

• Last Login: November 30, 2022, 12:47:27 AM
Re: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/updated-pw-digital-gateway-meeting-stretches-into-wednesday-morning/article_ed14f8f0-5a57-11ed-bd9d-f743c1753eea.html
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1626992/Item_3-A.pdf
(^Page 55 goes into potential infrastructure improvements)

Big changes are coming ahead for Prince William County as the controversial Digital Gateway rezoning, which would result in massive data centers being built along Pageland Lane (27.6 million square feet of data centers on 2,139 acres), was approved this morning by the PWC Board of Supervisors. As a result, Pageland Lane will be widened to four lanes in the near future along with other improvements like perhaps a direct connection from Pageland Lane to the I-66/VA-234 interchange. While I personally was not in favor of the digital gateway, now that it has been approved, I do think that there is now a legitimate opportunity for a new four-lane connection to Loudoun. However, instead of the previous "bi-county parkway" route that would encompass all of Pageland Lane and then go up Saunders lane (which would likely take many homes) connecting to Loudoun's Northstar Blvd, I think that instead, a better route would be to have an upgraded Pageland Lane veer northeast near Thornton Drive, cross VA-234 near Aldie Road, cross the Bull Run, and then tie into an upgraded Gum Spring Road in Loudoun by the quarry. Not only would this routing better connect to Dulles Airport (like the Bi-County Parkway was originally intended) and Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (thanks to the new Arcola Blvd), but I also suspect that Loudoun would have no problem widening Gum Spring Road south of where the current four-lane section ends. Just my two cents. If Prince Wiliam County is going to do this, might as well do it right.

In my opinion, it would be better to have the VA 28 Bypass in Manassas built to provide a better connection from VA 234 to 28 towards Dulles, since a Bi-County Parkway would only take traffic directly to South Riding and require anyone heading to Dulles to make a long and sharp diversion off the parkway along US 50 to VA 28 to get into the airport. The Bi-County Parkway might be good for providing a more-direct route between Manassas and the Leesburg suburbs (but not really Dulles) and could relieve some VA 28 traffic (however the freeway section of 28 has never been badly congested that times I've been on it except for in the I 66 interchange construction site). All-in-all I think it would be better for PWC and Loudoun to work with what they have rather than make something new, especially with how controversial the Bi-County Parkway is.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: November 16, 2022, 10:50:15 PM
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2022, 05:36:53 PM »

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/updated-pw-digital-gateway-meeting-stretches-into-wednesday-morning/article_ed14f8f0-5a57-11ed-bd9d-f743c1753eea.html
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1626992/Item_3-A.pdf

Big changes are coming ahead for Prince William County as the controversial Digital Gateway rezoning, which would result in massive data centers being built along Pageland Lane (27.6 million square feet of data centers on 2,139 acres), was approved this morning by the PWC Board of Supervisors. As a result, Pageland Lane will be widened to four lanes in the near future along with other improvements like perhaps a direct connection from Pageland Lane to the I-66/VA-234 interchange. While I personally was not in favor of the digital gateway, now that it has been approved, I do think that there is now a legitimate opportunity for a new four-lane connection to Loudoun. However, instead of the previous "bi-county parkway" route that would encompass all of Pageland Lane and then go up Saunders lane (which would likely take many homes) connecting to Loudoun's Northstar Blvd, I think that instead, a better route would be to have an upgraded Pageland Lane veer northeast near Thornton Drive, cross VA-234 near Aldie Road, cross the Bull Run, and then tie into an upgraded Gum Spring Road in Loudoun by the quarry. Not only would this routing better connect to Dulles Airport (like the Bi-County Parkway was originally intended) and Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (thanks to the new Arcola Blvd), but I also suspect that Loudoun would have no problem widening Gum Spring Road south of where the current four-lane section ends. Just my two cents. If Prince Wiliam County is going to do this, might as well do it right.

In my opinion, it would be better to have the VA 28 Bypass in Manassas built to provide a better connection from VA 234 to 28 towards Dulles, since a Bi-County Parkway would only take traffic directly to South Riding and require anyone heading to Dulles to make a long and sharp diversion off the parkway along US 50 to VA 28 to get into the airport. The Bi-County Parkway might be good for providing a more-direct route between Manassas and the Leesburg suburbs (but not really Dulles) and could relieve some VA 28 traffic (however the freeway section of 28 has never been badly congested that times I've been on it except for in the I 66 interchange construction site). All-in-all I think it would be better for PWC and Loudoun to work with what they have rather than make something new, especially with how controversial the Bi-County Parkway is.

I agree with your notion about the VA-28 Bypass being a better route to Dulles from VA-234. However, what I think is underestimated is amount of trips currently from Gainesville to the South Riding area and vice versa. If the entirely of Pageland Lane is widened, along with parts of US-29 and Sudley Road (west of the battlefield), these trips will increase regardless if roundabouts or a slow speed limit is put on Pageland. Gum Spring Road and Sanders Lane will become bottlenecks and there will be pressure to widen these roads too. I guess I just don't get the half ass-ery per say. The area is ruined and no longer rural, the main opponents of a Bi-County Parkway have sold their land. Might as well build it while you can get a good deal and avoid more problems in the future. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

MillTheRoadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 01:08:34 AM
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2022, 01:20:20 AM »

Well, with the aforementioned proposals to create the western Dulles connector, that would go well with the Bi-County Parkway. Additionally, it still serves a good purpose to northern Loudoun given its connection to Northstar/Belmont Ridge.

All in all I'm still staunchly opposed to the 28 bypass, though I might like it a tad better than the BCP. Same goes for the Digital Gateway while I'm at it.

bluecountry

• Last Login: December 01, 2022, 02:24:57 PM
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2022, 03:34:53 PM »

Many things:

1.  BOCS may have approved but this has got to have another hurdle.  Lawsuits/appeals, etc.  this is hardly a done deal.  It is the 1st inning.
2.  BOCS made a provision that Pageland would NOT connect to 66, and I believe only limited portions at most would be four lanes.

I was a Transportation Planner with PWC at the time RT 28 alternate study was finishing.
They explored several options, one of which was the more Northeast alignment closer to 66 and Loudoun.  No chance that would ever happen, you can forget about it.  Reason?  That route goes through Bull Run Park and Ocoquoan water quality areas that needs an Army CORPS approval which will not happen.

Frankly, the bi-county parkway is an awful idea.  The one idea I liked was the long demised tri-county parkway but that ship has sailed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.