News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-66 HO/T Lanes

Started by froggie, January 23, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your stroke, however, I hope you are doing much better now!  :thumbsup: 

Thank you.  I have made lots of progress from where i started, which was full paralysis of the right side.  I am walking well.  Hand/arm has lots of movement but little fine motor ability.  I get evaluated next week for a return to driving.

amroad17

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 18, 2023, 01:43:03 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your stroke, however, I hope you are doing much better now!  :thumbsup: 

Thank you.  I have made lots of progress from where i started, which was full paralysis of the right side.  I am walking well.  Hand/arm has lots of movement but little fine motor ability.  I get evaluated next week for a return to driving.
I am wishing you well for a return to driving and for more contributions in "vahighways"  and it's annexes.  Glad to hear you are doing a lot better!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

FLAVORTOWN

Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:35:41 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 03, 2023, 02:10:45 PM
Not only is there a US 168 sign, but there is also a US 166 sign at the same westbound location: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8449348,-76.2684329,3a,75y,273.11h,97.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMURKr8oUSRQD7dbXGJ7lEQ!2e0!5s20220901T000000!7i16384!8i8192. Here in Madison, I have seen an STH 18 sign and STH 51 signs along US 18 and US 51 in my lifetime.
It doesn't look like VDOT is going to replace the overhead BGS that was just east of the bridge and have decided to use the ground-mounted BGS as the Exit 11A point.  At least put the correct shields above the sign VDOT, even if it is not to MUTCD specifications.  Maybe the current VDOT employees should talk to the former VDOT employees that worked in the 1970's as to how to fabricate correct signs and shields.  As someone who lived in Hampton Roads from 1972-94, it seemed as if specifications, execution, and general professionalism among signage changed around 1982--and not for the better.  Then add in Clearview and...  aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!

There are some god awful BGSes on I-66 near Falls Church. Improperly and unnecessary large and ugly looking Clearview fonts, the "Baltimore via 495" nonsense for 267 among others

bluecountry

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 17, 2023, 08:19:56 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on January 17, 2023, 02:30:07 PM
They have scanners that can read if you have an EZ pass and can visually observe if you have less than 3 people but have the EZ Pass set to HOV mode.

Also on 95 and 495 they can usually fill their time pulling over vehicles with more than 2 axles, mostly semis.  Even after this much time since these lanes have opened, i see semis pulled over regularly.

Really?  Because I have not seen anybody really pulled over, and I know people who regularly have the EZPass on HOV without any passengers that go right by the cops.  Perhaps it is those without an EZPass scanner.

Maybe suddenly the issue has vanished.  I haven't driven since Oct 5 while recovering from a fairly serious stroke.  But i doubt it.

Not only did i see a few semis pulled over every week, they also pull over cars towing trailers.  Cannot find a pic online showing the portable device troopers were using to check for transponders but they had diamond shaped receivers.

On 95 and the beltway they are transitioning to technology for HOV enforcement.  This 2020 article previews it.  Don't know if it is started but recently some tolling gantries have this sign added since late 2021 - https://goo.gl/maps/BSguPoKM3NtZnoLg9
Sorry to hear about your stroke, hope you feel better and make a full complete recovery.

Gotta confess, I 'know' somebody who routinely drives the 66 and 495 HOT lanes (and 95 395) who sets their scanner to HOV and has been doing this for years and never been pulled over.  A lot of the time when driving the person is in an SUV with all windows tinted but plenty of times they are in another SUV with the front not tinted and a sedan with no tints.

bluecountry

Is there even a penalty if caught cheating in the HOT lanes?
I thought it was just a pay what it would have cost.

sprjus4

^
QuoteThe following fees and penalties may be applied for HOV violations:

- Civil penalties ranging from $50.00 for a first offense to $500.00 for fourth and subsequent offenses (see VA Code § 33.2-503 for further details)
- Other administration fees and penalties may be applied by Fairfax Courts or Prince William County courts.
https://www.expresslanes.com/express-lanes-terms-and-conditions

Why would there not be a fine for violating the law?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 05, 2023, 12:23:56 PM
^

- Civil penalties ranging from $50.00 for a first offense to $500.00 for fourth and subsequent offenses (see VA Code § 33.2-503 for further details)
- Other administration fees and penalties may be applied by Fairfax Courts or Prince William County courts.

I don't think they can actually catch you.  I never see them pulling over people

sprjus4

Yet you complain so much about the police presence? Why do you think they're out there? State police isn't usually going to bother with speed unless you're going at least 80-85 mph, it's likely not their primary focus.

I know you'll probably just respond to this in a week with the same old response, I'm just simply trying to explain the reality, with my personal opinion not included.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on February 12, 2023, 12:55:02 PM
^

I don't think they can actually catch you.  I never see them pulling over people

They can keep busy (on 95/395/495) nabbing trucks and other >2 axle vehicles.  I have seen passenger cars with a VSP car with them but i have no idea why they are there.

This article goes into how they caught cheaters before the new tech installed in/near some toll gantries replaced it:
https://wtop.com/news/2014/12/va-state-police-will-catch-95-express-toll-violators/
A photo of their set up can be seen here - https://wtop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Police.jpg
I have seen these in the field before.

they do occasionally do targeted enforcement of the HOV rules:
https://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern-virginia/2018/virginia-state-police-intensify-hov-enforcement-on-i-66-express-lanes-inside-the-beltway-thursday12-11-2018.asp

In this Feb 2020 news story, they cited over 40,000 HOV violations issued in Virginia over last 3 years (this would include Hampton Roads)
See ~1:45 in the video at https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/hov-enforcement-proves-extremely-difficult-for-police/2220921/
I understand the point of the story was that HOV enforcement isn't as robust as people would like.

FHWA put out info about HOV systems (not sure of the date but it is way later than the 2008 date at the bottom) including this:
QuotePeak Hour Violation Rate.  Most of the HOV facilities in the inventory do not provide peak hour violation rate data, so it is difficult to make definitive statements.  Of the 86 HOV facilities with data provided, the range is from 1 percent to 43 percent.  The highest reported peak hour violation rates are I-15 between SR 163 and SR 56 in San Diego, California (43 percent), I-35W SB between 66th St. and Burnsville Pkwy. in the Twin Cities, Minnesota (37 percent), SR 54 EB between I-805 and SR 125 in San Diego, California (28 percent), and seven facilities in the Washington DC region, either in Maryland or Virginia (ranging from 17 to 28 percent).  The other 76 HOV facilities with data provided reported peak hour violation rates of 15 percent or less.

It was easier of course before the HOT concept emerged.  VSP used to camp at the exit ramps of I-95 HOV lanes to catch cheaters.

Alex

Worked in driving I-66 west to see the completed work as part of my detour of I-95 heading south back to Florida after Christmas. Finally got around to posting the photos on the site:

https://www.aaroads.com/guides/i-066-west-fairfax-va/
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/i-066-west-gainesville-va/

Noticed at the west end of the Express Lanes, they transitioned to HOV-3 lanes to the succeeding exit for US. 15. I assume they end just west of the DDI there? Is there much of a point to them there, or is it to just disperse traffic from the Express Lanes better?

sprjus4

^ Yep, I-66 transitions from an 8 lane urban interstate into a 4 lane rural interstate, and the speed limit on the general purpose lanes raises to 70 mph, west of US-15.

The HOV lane remaining is just the leftover of what wasn't converted when they did this most recent HO/T project.

It was extended as an HOV out to US-15 about 10-ish years ago. I'm not sure why the HO/T project just didn't continue to US-15.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 13, 2023, 01:06:54 AM
^ Yep, I-66 transitions from an 8 lane urban interstate into a 4 lane rural interstate, and the speed limit on the general purpose lanes raises to 70 mph, west of US-15.

The HOV lane remaining is just the leftover of what wasn't converted when they did this most recent HO/T project.

It was extended as an HOV out to US-15 about 10-ish years ago. I'm not sure why the HO/T project just didn't continue to US-15.
It was supposed to but did not due to funds.  It is on the plans for 2040.
Seems like now they are ramping up enforcement of the HOV3, I see signs on the overheads, I guess people have cheated.

sprjus4

^ I don't know why they don't put up flex posts and just throw a couple more gantries up to make a single lane continuation for that last couple miles.

davewiecking

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 26, 2023, 02:06:00 AM
^ I don't know why they don't put up flex posts and just throw a couple more gantries up to make a single lane continuation for that last couple miles.
Great idea to slap a random toll on a stretch of asphalt that was built with taxpayer funds. Why not all the way to Front Royal?

davewiecking

sprjus4

Quote from: davewiecking on February 26, 2023, 10:35:59 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 26, 2023, 02:06:00 AM
Great idea to slap a random toll on a stretch of asphalt that was built with taxpayer funds. Why not all the way to Front Royal?
What? I'm talking about the couple mile HOV lane that stretches from US-15 to US-29, the last leftover remnant that wasn't already converted into a HO/T lane. Not any existing general purpose lane.

No HOV lane exists west of US-15... no such need for any HO/T lane. Tolling I-66 to Front Royal would involve tolling the general purpose lanes which is not what I'm suggesting...

oscar

Just got a violation notice in the mail, for travel earlier this month on the westbound I-66 Express Lanes. The gantries didn't read my E-ZPass transponder. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm disputing the charge.

I'm probably not going to use those lanes anytime soon. I haven't had this issue with the I-95/395/495 toll lanes, including the north end of I-395 from the Pentagon into D.C. (which I often use to avoid 14th St. Bridge congestion).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

We've only used the I-66 lanes twice in a single round trip, so our experience is not the most useful, but we had no issues. I haven't heard any complaints on Twitter or the like, though. I tend to think if it were a widespread problem, the local media would be going wild about it.

Have you tried going through a toll lane with a light to see if your transponder is OK? I try to make a point of going through a ramp toll on the Dulles Toll Road every so often because the green light tells me my battery is fine, although I don't know how much longer that'll work now that they're going fully cashless.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

I haven't used those lanes since Xmas day, but it seems my MD EZpass transponder was read correctly. However, I do dispute the times at which I am told I passed under the gantries.

Additionally, I am even more convinced that the pricing (for both these HO/T lanes and those along the Beltway) is set to go up when based on the traffic volume in the GP lanes, not the toll lanes. Frequently when I have used the Beltway ones in the middle of the day, there is virtually no traffic (certainly the 1-2 other cars I encounter do not affect my travel speed) but the pricing varies.

On the 12/7/22 trip I took (partially documented above), I used the I-66 GP lanes eastbound, then wanted to use the NB Beltway HO/T lanes because I knew the Beltway was reduced to 3 lanes NB at the Dulles Toll Road for bridge reconstruction. To use the Beltway HO/T lanes (either direction) from I-66 EB requires one to use a stretch of I-66 HO/T lanes first (ramp is after Chain Bridge Rd). I had no traffic slowdowns whatsoever, but for this privilege I was charged $4.20 for the 1 mile stretch on I-66, then $8.95 to cruise for a few miles on the Beltway. (Looking at the photos I took which seems to be approaching the Nutley Street Metro station in the HO/T lanes, the sign tells me I would actually be charged $7.25 to use the Beltway; there may have been another sign further along that I didn't document.) (Don't try to look this up on Google Maps; they have yet to find any of these stretches of heavily-traveled road worthy of being updated 3 months after the HO/T lanes fully opened.) (I am told I traveled on the NB Beltway 9 minutes before I traveled on EB I-66.)

bluecountry

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 12, 2023, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on February 12, 2023, 12:55:02 PM
^

They can keep busy (on 95/395/495) nabbing trucks and other >2 axle vehicles.  I have seen passenger cars with a VSP car with them but i have no idea why they are there.

This article goes into how they caught cheaters before the new tech installed in/near some toll gantries replaced it:
https://wtop.com/news/2014/12/va-state-police-will-catch-95-express-toll-violators/
A photo of their set up can be seen here - https://wtop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Police.jpg
I have seen these in the field before.

they do occasionally do targeted enforcement of the HOV rules:
https://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern-virginia/2018/virginia-state-police-intensify-hov-enforcement-on-i-66-express-lanes-inside-the-beltway-thursday12-11-2018.asp

In this Feb 2020 news story, they cited over 40,000 HOV violations issued in Virginia over last 3 years (this would include Hampton Roads)
See ~1:45 in the video at https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/hov-enforcement-proves-extremely-difficult-for-police/2220921/
I understand the point of the story was that HOV enforcement isn't as robust as people would like.

FHWA put out info about HOV systems (not sure of the date but it is way later than the 2008 date at the bottom) including this:
QuotePeak Hour Violation Rate.  Most of the HOV facilities in the inventory do not provide peak hour violation rate data, so it is difficult to make definitive statements.  Of the 86 HOV facilities with data provided, the range is from 1 percent to 43 percent.  The highest reported peak hour violation rates are I-15 between SR 163 and SR 56 in San Diego, California (43 percent), I-35W SB between 66th St. and Burnsville Pkwy. in the Twin Cities, Minnesota (37 percent), SR 54 EB between I-805 and SR 125 in San Diego, California (28 percent), and seven facilities in the Washington DC region, either in Maryland or Virginia (ranging from 17 to 28 percent).  The other 76 HOV facilities with data provided reported peak hour violation rates of 15 percent or less.

It was easier of course before the HOT concept emerged.  VSP used to camp at the exit ramps of I-95 HOV lanes to catch cheaters.
So what are they doing on I-66, as I see them just sitting there.
Side note, I think you can cheat and not get caught.

Stephane Dumas

One guy on Youtube uploaded a video of I-66 HOT lanes. The lengh of the video is 25 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3OnOL7TPE

davewiecking

Kudos to Google Maps for finally taking a stab at showing the HOV lanes that opened, um, 4 months ago.

bluecountry

Has anybody else been erroneously overcharged on the I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes?
I have over 16 invalid transactions, where I should have not been charged, but was.
The EZPass was set correctly, and it was so random, like I would enter at 28 and get charged, exit at Gainesville and not be charged.
Moreover, this overbiling only happens on the I-66 outside the beltway; I have numerous transactions on the inside the beltway, 495 and 95/395 express, all of those are correct.
So far I have not seen any news on this, I did report this to EZ pass and am waiting to see if it gets refunded.

Rothman

Quote from: bluecountry on June 11, 2023, 10:30:20 AM
Has anybody else been erroneously overcharged on the I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes?
I have over 16 invalid transactions, where I should have not been charged, but was.
The EZPass was set correctly, and it was so random, like I would enter at 28 and get charged, exit at Gainesville and not be charged.
Moreover, this overbiling only happens on the I-66 outside the beltway; I have numerous transactions on the inside the beltway, 495 and 95/395 express, all of those are correct.
So far I have not seen any news on this, I did report this to EZ pass and am waiting to see if it gets refunded.
Keep us posted.  Wondering what the resolution will be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.