News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-495 and I-270 Managed Lanes

Started by davewiecking, July 11, 2018, 11:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Legislators accuse MDOT of withholding highway-financing study

QuoteTwo Montgomery County lawmakers suggested on Tuesday that an analysis of the state's controversial Capital Beltway/I-270 proposal is being withheld by top transportation officials in order to make it harder to stop the project.

QuoteAnd a legislative budget analyst said that Republican Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan's oft-repeated claim – that the state lacks the resources to widen the two highways and replace the American Legion Bridge – has never been put to the test.

QuoteTheir comments were made during a hearing held by two General Assembly subcommittees that oversee transportation policy.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post opinion column: Maryland and Virginia diverge when it comes to laying asphalt to widen highways

QuoteNorthern Virginia has widened its main highways since 2012 by adding 53 miles of privately operated tolled express lanes. It is currently constructing 33 miles more. Across the river, Maryland can't agree to build an inch.

QuoteDoes that mean the Old Dominion has a more pragmatic approach, friendly to both business and drivers? Or is the Free State just more environmentally responsible and wary of letting private companies run public services?

QuoteThe answer is both, and the contrast highlights a deep difference in the political climates on opposite banks of the Potomac.

QuoteIt's hard to overstate the divergence between Virginia and Maryland regarding the laying of asphalt in recent years.

cpzilliacus

Plutonic Panda

kernals12

BrianP

Quote from: kernals12 on July 21, 2021, 03:21:00 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/07/21/maryland-toll-lanes-vote/&ved=2ahUKEwjkq9z37_TxAhUdEFkFHQ69AB0QxfQBMAB6BAgDEAs&usg=AOvVaw2tCiLA9Xdu3YneapX7reIi

The widening is back on. The anti-car astroturfers lose.
I don't think they lost.  They got a transit concession for the vote to pass.  MoCo has had the corridor city transitway in it's plans for at least 10 years.  The ideas has evolved over the years.  But it has always lacked funding.  So they got something they wanted too.  Which is probably how they figured they could get it to play out to get what they wanted.

Would they have preferred no highway widening?  Sure.  But it doesn't look like all of them were willing to die on that mountain.  This way both sides are a bit happy.  You know what they say: you can't make all of the people happy all of the time. So some happiness across the board is not shabby.

The problem is what transit concessions will be needed when doing the next parts?: I-270 north of I-370 and I-495 east of I-270.  There may not be a concession large enough for the latter.

mrsman

Quote from: BrianP on July 21, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/07/21/maryland-toll-lanes-vote/&ved=2ahUKEwjkq9z37_TxAhUdEFkFHQ69AB0QxfQBMAB6BAgDEAs&usg=AOvVaw2tCiLA9Xdu3YneapX7reIi

I don't think they lost.  They got a transit concession for the vote to pass.  MoCo has had the corridor city transitway in it's plans for at least 10 years.  The ideas has evolved over the years.  But it has always lacked funding.  So they got something they wanted too.  Which is probably how they figured they could get it to play out to get what they wanted.

Would they have preferred no highway widening?  Sure.  But it doesn't look like all of them were willing to die on that mountain.  This way both sides are a bit happy.  You know what they say: you can't make all of the people happy all of the time. So some happiness across the board is not shabby.

The problem is what transit concessions will be needed when doing the next parts?: I-270 north of I-370 and I-495 east of I-270.  There may not be a concession large enough for the latter.

I really think the 495 is off the table because there are too many homes that would need to be demolished.  There are far fewer obstacles on the 270, so if you play politics, you can get the widening that would be very helpful.

ARMOURERERIC

I can't read the article, but I lived there 1985-1991 and "red line to Germantown" was the buzz word phrase.  How does this proposal compare.

kernals12

Quote from: mrsman on July 21, 2021, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: BrianP on July 21, 2021, 04:00:19 PM

I really think the 495 is off the table because there are too many homes that would need to be demolished.  There are far fewer obstacles on the 270, so if you play politics, you can get the widening that would be very helpful.

You could put the HOT Lanes on a second deck.

1995hoo

What are "the 495" and "the 270"?

Quote from: kernals12 on July 21, 2021, 08:11:14 PM

About as much chance of that as there is a chance of $100 bills falling out of your arse the next time you take a crap.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 08:29:26 PM

About as much chance of that as there is a chance of $100 bills falling out of your arse the next time you take a crap.

I'm just saying it's an option. Honestly though I think cooperative adaptive cruise control will eliminate all congestion in the near future and then they can turn the existing express lanes into bike lanes.

Plutonic Panda

Then the homes need to go. This ridiculous mentality that always ends in the only option being is no build needs to stop. Either the homes are demoed or an elevated deck is built. Multiple options have been given.

1995hoo

Quote from: kernals12 on July 21, 2021, 09:20:37 PM

I'm just saying it's an option. Honestly though I think cooperative adaptive cruise control will eliminate all congestion in the near future and then they can turn the existing express lanes into bike lanes.

OK, now it's clear you're not serious. I'm glad you finally admitted that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

famartin

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 21, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

Then the homes need to go. This ridiculous mentality that always ends in the only option being is no build needs to stop. Either the homes are demoed or an elevated deck is built. Multiple options have been given.

I suppose some people have sentimentality if they've lived some place a long time, but I suspect it's more the objections of everyone else left behind who would now be that much closer to the highway. Those who actually would be demoed can't really enjoy living next to it that much, can they? Seems like a good deal for them.

BrianP

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 21, 2021, 07:43:58 PM
I can't read the article, but I lived there 1985-1991 and "red line to Germantown" was the buzz word phrase.  How does this proposal compare.
I'm missing about a ten year gap after that since I've only been here for 20 years.  So I can't compare to that.  But the CCT started as light rail then changed to BRT.

https://www.cctmaryland.com/index.php/about-the-project/project-overview

ARMOURERERIC

Basically, when I was around, the map pitched was a red line extension of Washington Grove, Doesn't own Gaithersburg, Flake Forest Mall, NIST and then became detailess after that.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on July 21, 2021, 06:23:19 PM

It is true that the right-of-way is constrained across most of Montgomery County (originally I-495 in Maryland was six lanes from the Potomac River to the Potomac River (some early sections, including between MD-193 (Exit 29) and MD-97 (Exit 31) were opened as four lanes but widened to six by the time that the entire road was opened in 1964).

But as I think I have mentioned here before - the parkland along the way and not the homes was and is the bigger impediment to widening.  Between MD-650 (Exit 28) and I-270 (Exit 35), the I-495 corridor crosses several parks that belong to the bicounty Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (anyplace else these would be county parks).  They are:  Northwest Branch stream valley (crossed by a high and massive steel arch that is not visible to I-495 drivers);  Sligo Creek stream valley (crossed by a modest concrete culvert where the freeway crosses the stream valley on a large filled-in dirt embankment) and Rock Creek stream valley (crossed near the Mormon Temple over the creek and adjacent Stoneybrook Drive).  From Stoneybrook Drive almost to MD-355 (Exit 34), I-495 runs hard by the bed of the creek.  In addition to having the same ownership, all of these parks have something else in common - the purchase of the lands were financed in whole or in part by the federal Capper-Cramton Act (originally passed 1930 and amended later).  The significance of Capper-Cramton cannot be understated - long before the USDOT Act was passed in 1966 (with its Section 4(f) that limited taking of parkland for federally-financed transportation projects), lands purchased under Capper-Cramton had protection in federal law against conversion to non-park uses. 

in the late 1950's, the Maryland State Roads Commission was able to take enough parkland to build the six-lane I-495 but not really more, and even when I-495 was widened to 8 lanes (between I-295 near the Wilson Bridge and MD-97 in the early 1970's and not for many more years between MD-97 and the American Legion Bridge in the late 1980's and early 1990's), the state was not able to take much additional right-of-way from the Capper-Cramton parks.  I suspect that if MDOT today were to try and take enough land for four at-grade managed lanes, it would be challenged in court, and the state would lose - because of Capper-Cramton and Section 4(f).

So if there were to be managed lanes in the "top" part of I-495, they would presumably need to go up to an elevated structure (perhaps similar to I-110 (Harbor Freeway) in Los Angeles County, California) or down to some sort of bored tunnel.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Public comment period for I-270 HOT lane fees closing soon

QuoteMaryland commuters have a few days left to chime in on proposed High Occupancy Vehicle (HOT) lane tolls before an extended public comment period closes on Thursday.

QuoteThe Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA), as part of its Phase 1 South – American Legion Bridge I-270 to I-370 HOT lane proposal – opened a public comment period May 20. That comment period comes to a close on Aug. 12 at 5 p.m.

QuoteDrivers are being asked to weigh in on proposed fees for: Minimum and maximum toll rate ranges, soft rate caps, escalation factors and discounts. Transportation officials say detailed information can be found in the MDTA Virtual Information Room.

QuoteProposed fees range from 20 cents to $5.64 for two-axle vehicles, depending on the distance traveled on the HOT lanes and a driver's payment method.

sprjus4

^ Well, if Virginia's exorbitant rates are any indication  :bigass:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 08, 2021, 08:16:04 PM
^ Well, if Virginia's Transurban's exorbitant rates are any indication  :bigass:

VDOT does not set the rates.  Transurban does that on its own.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post op-ed: Opinion: Maryland's proposed Beltway expansion plan is still too risky

QuoteOn Wednesday, the Maryland Board of Public Works (BPW) will vote on whether to approve a $50 million predevelopment contract with Transurban, a foreign, for-profit company, to design private toll lanes on Interstate 495 from the American Legion Bridge through the spur north on Interstate 270 from the Beltway to Interstate 370. The agreement is about more than design: It grants Transurban exclusive rights to build and operate high-cost toll lanes for 50 years should the project advance to construction.

QuoteThere are troubling provisions in the agreement, which would shift financial risk from the developer to Maryland taxpayers. For example, taxpayers would be required to compensate Transurban for a reduction in toll revenue as a result of future acts of nature. The agreement curtails the ability of the state to implement future telework incentives and limits transit improvements that would reduce congestion on I-270 and I-495.

My comments (not those of the authors):

Like it or not, the authors of this reveal themselves to be against all highway improvement projects. 

As members of the Maryland General Assembly, they could call for the $2 billion limit on borrowing by MDTA to be abolished, so this could be entirely done as a state project, but that gets no mention.

As regards risk to the taxpayers, it's interesting that there's not one mention of transit cost overruns (and inevitable transit operating subsidies, since all transit in Maryland receives heavy taxpayer subsidy and inevitable capital costs for repair, rehabilitation and mid-life overhauls of transit vehicles).

Plutonic Panda

Let's just ignore the purple line

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 10, 2021, 05:39:29 PM

Because the Purple Line cost overruns are only between $700 million and $800 million?  At least so far?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 11, 2021, 12:45:40 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 10, 2021, 05:39:29 PM

Because the Purple Line cost overruns are only between $700 million and $800 million?  At least so far?
Yep. Just chump change lol

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.