News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewiecking

The Mt. Vernon bike trail starts in Rosslyn (technically at the end of the Custis Trail along I-66), passes over the GWMP and onto Columbia Island, has branches that head across the Memorial Bridge and towards the Pentagon parking lot, leaves Columbia Island for "the mainland" at the Humpback bridge, has another branch that feeds a path that crosses the Potomac on the north side of the southbound I-395 George Mason Memorial Bridge, and parallels the GWMP past National Airport, thru Alexandria, and winds up where one would expect a trail of that name to wind up.

1995hoo

The 14th Street Bridge has a pedestrian/bike path on the southbound span. On the DC side you access it near the back of the Jefferson Memorial.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

Maybe the ACE can build a temporary trestle span for bikes an Peds.

KEVIN_224

You can also walk over the Key Bridge between Arlington (Rosslyn) and Washington DC (Georgetown). I did the southern side into DC and then the northern side into Virginia back on May 29, 2015. I don't know about riding a bike though.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 05, 2016, 07:17:38 PM
You can also walk over the Key Bridge between Arlington (Rosslyn) and Washington DC (Georgetown). I did the southern side into DC and then the northern side into Virginia back on May 29, 2015. I don't know about riding a bike though.

Plenty of bikes use the Key Bridge (U.S. 29) crossing.  The only one that does not get much use is the T. Roosevelt Bridge (I-66 and U.S. 50).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2016, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 05, 2016, 07:17:38 PM

Plenty of bikes use the Key Bridge (U.S. 29) crossing.  The only one that does not get much use is the T. Roosevelt Bridge (I-66 and U.S. 50).

With good reason. It's a PITA for bikes and pedestrians to use the bridge, especially because the western end of the path leading to the bridge is at the foot of the Key Bridge and the east side isn't much better.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AlexandriaVA

All of the side paths are frustratingly narrow. Memorial bridge has the only decent sidepath.

Key Bridge has the issue of having the "intersection of doom" on the Rosslyn side, where motorists have a tendency to hit bikers and pedestrians (so they can save 30 seconds on their commute by not letting the crosswalk clear out before turning)

1995hoo

The path on the Roosevelt Bridge's south side isn't much good because, if I remember correctly, it doesn't connect to anything on the Virginia side–it just dumps you into the grassy area in the middle of the various high-speed ramps. I know I walked across it in June 1991 on the day of the Desert Storm parade (Memorial Bridge was closed for the parade), but I just don't have a clear mental image of precisely where the south side path dropped me.

andrewkbrown

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2016, 10:37:18 AM
The path on the Roosevelt Bridge's south side isn't much good because, if I remember correctly, it doesn't connect to anything on the Virginia side–it just dumps you into the grassy area in the middle of the various high-speed ramps. I know I walked across it in June 1991 on the day of the Desert Storm parade (Memorial Bridge was closed for the parade), but I just don't have a clear mental image of precisely where the south side path dropped me.

I found that out while walking along the Roosevelt Bridge's south side myself last year. The path just ends on the ramp from Arlington Blvd to I-66 EB, near the grove of trees in the center.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8909114,-77.0657308,173m/data=!3m1!1e3

I know now from Google Maps that the north side bridge path eventually connects with the Mt. Vernon Trail near the footbridge to Roosevelt Island. But it looks like the only access to that path on the DC side is in front of the Kennedy Center.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

froggie

Correct.  There's a way to get there from Juárez Circle, but it's indirect which is why there have for many years been calls for a better connection to the Rock Creek Pkwy path via the south side of the Kennedy Center.  I've seen preliminary designs for such a connection but they just haven't happened yet.

1995hoo

They appear to be doing some kind of work on that path as part of the construction at the Kennedy Center, but I don't know what and I haven't gotten a good look as I drive past because (a) it's been too dark and (b) I'm always focused on the merge there. Today my wife drove, so maybe I'll get to take a look if the traffic is slow enough. I can't help but wonder if they're building some sort of ramp or stairs.

Rothman

Quote from: andrewkbrown on March 06, 2016, 12:35:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2016, 10:37:18 AM

I found that out while walking along the Roosevelt Bridge's south side myself last year. The path just ends on the ramp from Arlington Blvd to I-66 EB, near the grove of trees in the center.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8909114,-77.0657308,173m/data=!3m1!1e3

I know now from Google Maps that the north side bridge path eventually connects with the Mt. Vernon Trail near the footbridge to Roosevelt Island. But it looks like the only access to that path on the DC side is in front of the Kennedy Center.

Heh.  Back in the summer of 2004, I ended up on the wrong sidewalk across the bridge, trying to get to Theodore Roosevelt Island.

I just ran across the GWMP.  Sat atop the rock-wall median for a bit, but made it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2016, 12:45:39 PM
Heh.  Back in the summer of 2004, I ended up on the wrong sidewalk across the bridge, trying to get to Theodore Roosevelt Island.

I just ran across the GWMP.  Sat atop the rock-wall median for a bit, but made it.

A bad road to cross on foot. 

There's an at-grade bike and pedestrian crossing of the northbound Parkway on Columbia Island in D.C. that has had more than a few crashes.  In spite of the 40 MPH posted limit, most drivers regard that as the minimum speed, not the maximum speed limit.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 09, 2016, 12:50:56 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2016, 12:45:39 PM

A bad road to cross on foot. 

There's an at-grade bike and pedestrian crossing of the northbound Parkway on Columbia Island in D.C. that has had more than a few crashes.  In spite of the 40 MPH posted limit, most drivers regard that as the minimum speed, not the maximum speed limit.

They're all taking in the sights along the Parkway, just as the National Park Service envisioned, right?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 09, 2016, 04:17:26 PM
They're all taking in the sights along the Parkway, just as the National Park Service envisioned, right?

Wrong.

The drivers treat the G.W. Memorial Parkway as a freeway (I have been nearly rear-ended several times for stopping at that crossing on Columbia Island).

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 10, 2016, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 09, 2016, 04:17:26 PM

Wrong.

The drivers treat the G.W. Memorial Parkway as a freeway (I have been nearly rear-ended several times for stopping at that crossing on Columbia Island).

Yes, I'm well-aware and was being facetious. I have made many crossings of the Parkway on bike, and I take my life into my hands whenever I trust a crosswalk (I won't go until I get visual ID from both lanes).

It's utter madness and stupidity that the NPS continues the farce of the "park" aspect of it (http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/index.htm):

QuoteThe George Washington Memorial Parkway was designed for recreational driving. It links sites that commemorate important episodes in American history and preserve habitat for local wildlife. The parkway and its associated trails provide a scenic place to play and rest in the busy Washington, DC metropolitan area.

I don't see how anyone can say that with a straight face.

andrewkbrown

NPS must be referring to the GW Parkway south of Alexandria to Mt. Vernon.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

cpzilliacus

Quote from: andrewkbrown on March 10, 2016, 10:37:00 PM
NPS must be referring to the GW Parkway south of Alexandria to Mt. Vernon.

No, the entire Parkway. 

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 07, 2016, 02:51:21 PM
They appear to be doing some kind of work on that path as part of the construction at the Kennedy Center, but I don't know what and I haven't gotten a good look as I drive past because (a) it's been too dark and (b) I'm always focused on the merge there. Today my wife drove, so maybe I'll get to take a look if the traffic is slow enough. I can't help but wonder if they're building some sort of ramp or stairs.

Following up on this comment: On Friday I finished work early and took the subway to Nationals Park to redeem some rainchecks for bobbleheads. The car was parked at my wife's office, a 3.5-mile walk from there, so I took the subway to Smithsonian and then walked the remaining 2.25 miles down the Mall, past the Lincoln Memorial, and up Rock Creek Parkway to the crossing behind the Watergate. Passing the Kennedy Center construction the most obvious thing is a big mess. But there is some sort of paved path connecting up to the Roosevelt Bridge north side path. It looks inaccessible at the moment. It is unclear whether this is something permanent because it looks too steep to be practical for normal use, and it's also unclear from the signs how far the extended building will stretch.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2016, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 07, 2016, 02:51:21 PM

Following up on this comment: On Friday I finished work early and took the subway to Nationals Park to redeem some rainchecks for bobbleheads. The car was parked at my wife's office, a 3.5-mile walk from there, so I took the subway to Smithsonian and then walked the remaining 2.25 miles down the Mall, past the Lincoln Memorial, and up Rock Creek Parkway to the crossing behind the Watergate. Passing the Kennedy Center construction the most obvious thing is a big mess. But there is some sort of paved path connecting up to the Roosevelt Bridge north side path. It looks inaccessible at the moment. It is unclear whether this is something permanent because it looks too steep to be practical for normal use, and it's also unclear from the signs how far the extended building will stretch.

IMO the access to the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge from the D.C. side has always been clumsy (at best).  The Virginia side, where it ties in to the Mount Vernon Trail, is pretty good, but the trail surface is not that good when wet. 

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Nuclear Security Summit means "˜tough' times for D.C. traffic this week

QuoteD.C. officials warned that the Nuclear Security Summit this week will cause major traffic woes in the city.

QuoteThursday and Friday "will be tough traffic days,"   the District's homeland security chief, Chris Geldhart, said at a Monday news conference.

froggie

TPB has written up a short study of traffic conditions on the day of the Metro shut down last month.  The study compared traffic conditions on that "shutdown" day (3/16) to conditions on the previous Wednesday (3/9), considered a "typical" Wednesday.  Here's a quick synopsis of key points:

- Overall, traffic conditions on shutdown day were slightly worse than normal, although there are notable geographical differences.  Traffic was overall worse in the "regional core" (defined as DC, Alexandria, and Arlington County), but better overall in the suburbs.

- Inside the Beltway, the major inbound freeways all experienced negative impacts during the morning peak (defined as the 7am hour), with the biggest impacts being on northbound I-395 and I-295.  The inbound HOV facilities (I-66 and the I-395 HOV lanes) saw slight degradation, but not nearly to the extent that the mainline freeways and other facilities (i.e. GW Pkwy) saw.

- Outside the Beltway, the only inbound freeway to see a negative impact during the morning peak was I-270, likely a result of losing the Red Line from Shady Grove south.  Other inbound freeways generally held steady, although a few (namely I-95, I-66, and the DTR in Virginia, and US 50 in PGC) saw improvements over normal morning peak traffic.

- The study didn't specifically discuss the Beltway, although looking at the attached traffic maps, there didn't seem to be a significant change overall during the morning peak.  Traffic appeared worse on the Inner Loop through Tysons and on both sides through Largo, but better on the Inner Loop through MoCo.

- The evening peak (defined as the 5pm hour) was a very different story.  As a general rule, evening traffic on shutdown day was far lighter than normal.  The study suggests two possible reasons for this:  A) workers and commuters adjusted their departure times to avoid the peak, thereby spreading traffic out, and/or B) people took fewer discretionary trips in the evening, which had the effect of reducing traffic.  Either way, regionwide traffic was down 4% compared to normal.

- As opposed to the morning peak, the core jurisdictions saw the most improvement over normal during the evening peak, and Fairfax County also saw a significant reduction compared to normal.  As a general rule, the inner jurisdictions saw reduction while the outer jurisdictions saw little or no change compared to normal.

- Most outbound freeways, both inside and outside the Beltway, saw reductions in travel times compared to normal.  Those that didn't see a reduction had little or no change from normal.  The biggest reductions from normal were on I-295 and I-395 inside the Beltway, and on I-66 outside the Beltway.

- Comparing the traffic maps, the Beltway appears to have had overall improvement as well, particularly at the Wilson Bridge approaches (both sides), the Outer Loop through PGC, and the Inner Loop from Tysons to 270.  Other areas of the Beltway appeared to have no change compared to normal during the evening peak.  Notable congestion remained on the Outer Loop from MoCo to Tysons, the Inner Loop through MoCo and from Greenbelt to Largo, and the Outer Loop south of Tysons.  The Inner Loop from Largo to Andrews appears to have been worse than normal.

BrianP

Looking where things got worse could be useful.  But looking where things got better I think isn't very useful.  Any improvement seen was probably from people staying home since it was a one day event.  Given a week or more shutdown would give better data.  Especially if it wasn't during the summer where you have a larger fraction of people on vacation.  But it's not like you could do that just to get data.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: BrianP on April 14, 2016, 02:10:30 PM
Looking where things got worse could be useful.  But looking where things got better I think isn't very useful.  Any improvement seen was probably from people staying home since it was a one day event.  Given a week or more shutdown would give better data.  Especially if it wasn't during the summer where you have a larger fraction of people on vacation.  But it's not like you could do that just to get data.

Bingo. There are limits to how much productivity can be achieved via telework, particularly in government, which inherently requires committees and meetings and such. So maybe you can compress a bunch of personal work into a single telework day, but not a business week's worth of work.

1995hoo

Never noticed this before. Yesterday afternoon I had some time to kill between the time I got off work and the time my wife got off work and I decided to walk over to Georgetown. But with all the rain lately I had left my sunglasses in the car, which was at her office, so I walked over there to get them and I took a new route that took me along the wall above the stub end of I-66 near the Watergate just north of the tunnel under Virginia Avenue/Juarez Circle. I found the way they put up these lights to be quite interesting. Perfectly sensible design, just very interesting, reminded me of some of the castles and citadels I've visited over the years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.