News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

As far as I'm concerned, HOV is HOV.  All requirements beyond that to ride free in a HOT lane when you meet the HOV provision should be OUTLAWED.  So should service fees for non-transponder use of toll roads without manned cash booths, as well as charging different rates to people who are out of state, and fees for transponders.  All of this should be done at the federal level conditioned on the loss of federal funds to any state that even has so much as a nanometer of highway in violation.  There should be no discrimination between local drivers and non-local drivers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 01:04:42 PM
No, of course not. The E-ZPass New Jersey tag belongs to the New Jersey customer service center and would have to be returned to them. It can't be traded in for a Virginia device. If someone with a New Jersey transponder wants to get a Flex transponder from Virginia, the best thing to do would be to set up the Virginia account and obtain the Flex device and THEN cancel the New Jersey account (and send the transponder back, preferably wrapped in foil) once the Virginia one is operative.

But has VDOT lightened up on its historical policy of not issuing Virginia E-ZPass transponders to residents of other states (or at least the ones in the E-ZPass consortium)?  The only movement I've seen on that front is the concession that residents of D.C. (not in the consortium) can get E-ZPasses from VDOT.  See https://www.ezpassva.com/CreateAccount/CreateAccountHome.aspx which points residents of consortium states to their own states' E-ZPass sites.  My wild guess is that those other states won't issue you a Flex transponder, at least not until Virginia's implementation of HOT lanes spreads to other states.

Out-of-staters might be able to get "On-The-Go" E-ZPass transponders, including Flex transponders, in-person at some Virginia grocery stores and other retail outlets.  However, they are supposed to register the transponders later (for replenishment of their accounts, after tolls and monthly fees draw down the prepaid balance).  I can't tell if VDOT will allow registration by out-of-staters, or if the participating retailers will even issue "On-The-Go" transponders to out-of-staters.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mtantillo

Quote from: oscar on November 18, 2012, 04:03:13 PM
No, of course not. The E-ZPass New Jersey tag belongs to the New Jersey customer service center and would have to be returned to them. It can't be traded in for a Virginia device. If someone with a New Jersey transponder wants to get a Flex transponder from Virginia, the best thing to do would be to set up the Virginia account and obtain the Flex device and THEN cancel the New Jersey account (and send the transponder back, preferably wrapped in foil) once the Virginia one is operative.

But has VDOT lightened up on its historical policy of not issuing Virginia E-ZPass transponders to residents of other states (or at least the ones in the E-ZPass consortium)?  The only movement I've seen on that front is the concession that residents of D.C. (not in the consortium) can get E-ZPasses from VDOT.  See https://www.ezpassva.com/CreateAccount/CreateAccountHome.aspx which points residents of consortium states to their own states' E-ZPass sites.  My wild guess is that those other states won't issue you a Flex transponder, at least not until Virginia's implementation of HOT lanes spreads to other states.

Out-of-staters might be able to get "On-The-Go" E-ZPass transponders, including Flex transponders, in-person at some Virginia grocery stores and other retail outlets.  However, they are supposed to register the transponders later (for replenishment of their accounts, after tolls and monthly fees draw down the prepaid balance).  I can't tell if VDOT will allow registration by out-of-staters, or if the participating retailers will even issue "On-The-Go" transponders to out-of-staters.

I don't believe VDOT had ever had a policy that said they wont issue an E-ZPass to a resident of another E-ZPass state.  The site simply directs users to the most appropriate place to sign up. 

If you say you are from Virginia on that first screen, when you get to the application where you put in your address, you can put in another state.  Another example of this is NY.  NY E-ZPass has a similar welcome screen, but elsewhere on the site they say that a resident if any state can get a NY E-ZPass.  This because the MTA bridges and tunnels only give the E-ZPass toll rate to NY accounts, so they want to avoid being accused of giving a different rate to residents vs non residents.

E-ZPass NY welcome screen that re-directs to other states: https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

NY MTA site (see language at the top of the page) stating that only NY issued E-ZPass tags get the discounted toll rate, but anyone regardless of residency can apply for a NY E-ZPass (this despite that the NY E-ZPass site re-directs people away from NY if you are from another E-ZPass state): http://mta.info/bandt/traffic/btmain.html

mtantillo

I might also add that I have E-ZPass accounts from 3 states to participate in various discount programs...VA, MD, and NY. Never had a problem signing up once past that welcome screen.

1995hoo

Had to make another trip out to Fairfax to deliver some more coats to my mom and this time I took the Franconia—Springfield Parkway to the I-95 HOV so I could use the new ramp to the Beltway. I liked the convenience the ramp offers, but I think for the next few weeks I may avoid it because (as I already knew) it puts you on the left side of the Beltway and you have to move right two lanes to use the general-purpose lanes. Doing that puts you in the leftmost general-purpose lane and I think for now I'd rather be further to the right to avoid jackasses swerving at the last instant.....and I do mean jackasses because you have to be incredibly stupid if you can't understand the overhead signs for the managed lanes that have a yellow-and-black "ONLY" banner with downward-pointing arrows.

The toll rates posted at the southern end were the same as Mike reported yesterday, BTW.

I used the Express Lanes again on the way home (went well out of my way up to Merrifield and US-29), partly so I could drive through that weird single-lane spot seen in my final video from yesterday. I think I like the Express Lanes a lot simply for the saner ride, but I don't think I'll use that single-lane spot because I have to change to the right over six or seven lanes to my exit right after there. Plus people on the I-95 flyover aren't prepared for traffic coming from the left and the merge area is fairly short.

Video to follow if the files aren't too big to upload.

Edited to add: Dr. Gridlock reports the Express Lanes website has some updated info, including showing the current toll rates. Check this out, sounds like they're making an effort to be helpful.

Second edit: Having trouble with the video since one, at about 5 minutes, is 354 MB and the other, at 10 minutes exactly, is 758 MB. If I can get them to play on my PC (so far I can't), I'll take some screenshots of stuff. Otherwise, well, I suppose the new HOV ramp isn't THAT fascinating.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mtantillo

Found another good use for the 495 Express Lanes today.  I typically take GW Parkway to the Beltway to the Dulles Airport Access Highway to get to Dulles from DC (mainly to avoid I-66 in Arlington).  Did that today (well, Whitehurst to Canal Road to Chain Bridge to 123 to GW Parkway because of the weekend closure at Spout Run), and remembered that you have to make 5 quick lane changes to the left to reach the Dulles Airport Access Highway from Route 267, since the ramp from the Outer Loop puts you onto the far right side of Route 267.  Then I realized I could pay a fairly minimal toll (30¢, I think the toll to 267 from the north end is the same as is displayed on the signs to Jones Bridge, as there is not another set of E-ZPass readers between 267 and the Jones Bridge exit) to use the express lanes for a short distance, and that ramp drops me onto the left side of Route 267, so no lane changes needed to reach the airport access lanes.  I did this, and it worked very nicely!  To get to the Express lanes from GW Parkway, you only have to make 3 lane changes and you have about 4 times the distance to do that as you do to make 5 lane changes on 267.

Of course, coming back from the airport, there is no access to the express lanes going north, but there is a dedicated ramp from the Airport Access Highway to the Beltway which would get you around most of the congestion that occurs on that ramp during peak times. 

1995hoo

Quote from: mtantillo on November 18, 2012, 05:47:12 PM
Found another good use for the 495 Express Lanes today.  I typically take GW Parkway to the Beltway to the Dulles Airport Access Highway to get to Dulles from DC (mainly to avoid I-66 in Arlington).  Did that today (well, Whitehurst to Canal Road to Chain Bridge to 123 to GW Parkway because of the weekend closure at Spout Run), and remembered that you have to make 5 quick lane changes to the left to reach the Dulles Airport Access Highway from Route 267, since the ramp from the Outer Loop puts you onto the far right side of Route 267.  Then I realized I could pay a fairly minimal toll (30¢, I think the toll to 267 from the north end is the same as is displayed on the signs to Jones Bridge, as there is not another set of E-ZPass readers between 267 and the Jones Bridge exit) to use the express lanes for a short distance, and that ramp drops me onto the left side of Route 267, so no lane changes needed to reach the airport access lanes.  I did this, and it worked very nicely!  To get to the Express lanes from GW Parkway, you only have to make 3 lane changes and you have about 4 times the distance to do that as you do to make 5 lane changes on 267.

Of course, coming back from the airport, there is no access to the express lanes going north, but there is a dedicated ramp from the Airport Access Highway to the Beltway which would get you around most of the congestion that occurs on that ramp during peak times. 

The Express Lanes' website is now supposed to be able to tell you the historic toll rates so you can look up what it was when you drove (this per the Dr. Gridlock link in my last comment), but it wasn't working when I tried it a few minutes ago. You're almost certainly correct about the rate being the same, though.

BTW, I really love the following statement in that Dr. Gridlock blog entry:

QuoteEverybody makes mistakes out of confusion. A driver who backs up on the Beltway is risking lives to save a $1.50 fee plus the toll to the next exit. A driver who engages in that sort of life-threatening behavior should have his license confiscated and his car impounded. Such a person has no business on our roads.

NJRoadfan

Seems like the roadway of the inner loop near the beginning of the lanes could use some pavement markings. Those nifty purple/white skip line markings they use for E-ZPass only lanes plus some "EXPRESS ONLY" markings might make it clearer to drivers.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 18, 2012, 05:56:28 PM
Seems like the roadway of the inner loop near the beginning of the lanes could use some pavement markings. Those nifty purple/white skip line markings they use for E-ZPass only lanes plus some "EXPRESS ONLY" markings miht make it clearer to drivers.

I'm intrigued by how rush hour will go tomorrow. I wish there were a safe place to sit out there with a video camera to watch it unfold.

mtantillo

I want to nickname that section of the Inner Loop near Springfield: "HOT or Not"  :D

cpzilliacus

Seems like the roadway of the inner loop near the beginning of the lanes could use some pavement markings.

BINGO!  I think that's a contributor to the problems on the Inner Loop.

Unlike the Outer Loop approach, which is on a (relatively) straight segment after coming down the hill from Va. 193 (Georgetown Pike), the Inner Loop pavement markings passing the Robinson Terminal and approaching the entrance to the Inner Loop Express Lanes are on a curve, and the pavement markings are currently inconsistent and misleading.

Images coming.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 18, 2012, 06:28:02 PM
Seems like the roadway of the inner loop near the beginning of the lanes could use some pavement markings.

BINGO!  I think that's a contributor to the problems on the Inner Loop.

Unlike the Outer Loop approach, which is on a (relatively) straight segment after coming down the hill from Va. 193 (Georgetown Pike), the Inner Loop pavement markings passing the Robinson Terminal and approaching the entrance to the Inner Loop Express Lanes are on a curve, and the pavement markings are currently inconsistent and misleading.

Images coming.

Virginia seems to object to using much in the way of pavement markings, but I have noted the E-ZPass logo appears in the dedicated lanes on the Dulles Toll Road as you approach the main toll plaza in Tysons. They could do something like that, at least. I can't say I've ever seen Virginia use colored skip lines or other stuff of the sort used in the New York area to denote different sorts of lanes, and Virginia also refuses to use the flashing yellow light to denote "E-ZPass Only" lanes at toll plazas the way states up north do.

cpzilliacus

mtantillo, 1995hoo, oscar and NJRoadfan, please look at the images below, in sequence from about the Va. 617 (Backlick Road) underpass to the beginning of the Express Lanes on the Inner Loop of I-495.  Note that the pavement markings first imply that it is the left lane (only) that becomes the restricted lane, then, as we get very close to the entrance to the Express Lanes, the markings suddenly shift to show that it is the two left lanes that become the Express Lanes.  Sorry for the blurry nature of these, but I think the point I am making is pretty clear.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

The Maryland Transportation Authority will apparently be issing E-ZPass Flex units, even though  I do not believe they have no intention of allowing a similar HOV exemption on the I-95 Express Toll Lanes in Baltimore County between I-895 and Md. 43.

I had Virginia E-ZPass (and before that, SmarTag) transponders for many years, even though I have never lived in the Commonwealth. I changed not long before Maryland decided to start charging a monthly fee of low-use customers. :-)

I think VDOT will issue anyone an  E-ZPass transponder, especially if you walk-in to one of their offices.

oscar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 18, 2012, 06:52:35 PM
Please look at the images below, in sequence from about the Va. 617 (Backlick Road) underpass to the beginning of the Express Lanes on the Inner Loop of I-495.  Note that the pavement markings first imply that it is the left lane (only) that becomes the restricted lane, then, as we get very close to the entrance to the Express Lanes, the markings suddenly shift to show that it is the two left lanes that become the Express Lanes.  Sorry for the blurry nature of these, but I think the point I am making is pretty clear.

Not having driven the express lanes or the Beltway after they were opened, I'm assuming that you were in the left-most lane when you took the first photos, then stayed in that lane after another lane was added on the left.  If so, I don't see the pavement markings as confusing.  If at the Backlick Road underpass you're on the right side of the short-dashed line separating restricted from general purpose lanes, you won't have to change lanes to stay in the general purpose lanes.  If you're on the left side of the line, you don't have to move to stay in the restricted lanes, though you have the option of moving left as a second restricted lane is added on the left.  The only possible confusion is if drivers are misinformed that only the left-most lane feeds into the express lanes, rather than however many lanes (one at first, two later) are to the left of the short-dashed line. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mtantillo

Quote from: oscar on November 18, 2012, 08:47:43 PM
Please look at the images below, in sequence from about the Va. 617 (Backlick Road) underpass to the beginning of the Express Lanes on the Inner Loop of I-495.  Note that the pavement markings first imply that it is the left lane (only) that becomes the restricted lane, then, as we get very close to the entrance to the Express Lanes, the markings suddenly shift to show that it is the two left lanes that become the Express Lanes.  Sorry for the blurry nature of these, but I think the point I am making is pretty clear.

Not having driven the express lanes or the Beltway after they were opened, I'm assuming that you were in the left-most lane when you took the first photos, then stayed in that lane after another lane was added on the left.  If so, I don't see the pavement markings as confusing.  If at the Backlick Road underpass you're on the right side of the short-dashed line separating restricted from general purpose lanes, you won't have to change lanes to stay in the general purpose lanes.  If you're on the left side of the line, you don't have to move to stay in the restricted lanes, though you have the option of moving left as a second restricted lane is added on the left.  The only possible confusion is if drivers are misinformed that only the left-most lane feeds into the express lanes, rather than however many lanes (one at first, two later) are to the left of the short-dashed line. 

That isn't how it works though.  No new lanes are added on the left.  The short skips are between the left and second from left lanes, in otherwords, between the two express lanes.  So the lane to the right of the short skips is also an express lane.  Then, just before the split the short skips "jump" over one lane to the right to where they should have been all along. 

So the signs are right, the pavement markings are wrong up until about the last quarter mile before the split. 

1995hoo

Actually, Oscar, that's not correct. cpzilliacus has it right. The far left lane as you pass over Backlick is the one coming from the HOV ramps. It's the one to the left of the skip line with the smaller, closer-spaced dots. If you're coming from the Wilson Bridge or Van Dorn and you're in the left lane (#%^* to those people), that lane is the one immediately to the right of the aforementioned skip line. It then becomes the right lane of the Express Lanes.

So if you rely solely on pavement markings, you might find it ambiguous. But how many real people actually do that on an Interstate? I stand by my prior opinion that the signs are OBVIOUS and that anyone who knows what "EXIT ONLY" means has no excuse for confusion.

cpzilliacus

Not having driven the express lanes or the Beltway after they were opened, I'm assuming that you were in the left-most lane when you took the first photos, then stayed in that lane after another lane was added on the left.

Correct about what lane I was in - I entered that lane after taking the left-side exit that runs off from the left of the Inner Loop (or, actually, the long, soaring I-95 southbound ramp).

No, there is no "extra" lane added on the right.  I did move one lane to the right.

If so, I don't see the pavement markings as confusing.  If at the Backlick Road underpass you're on the right side of the short-dashed line separating restricted from general purpose lanes, you won't have to change lanes to stay in the general purpose lanes.  If you're on the left side of the line, you don't have to move to stay in the restricted lanes, though you have the option of moving left as a second restricted lane is added on the left.  The only possible confusion is if drivers are misinformed that only the left-most lane feeds into the express lanes, rather than however many lanes (one at first, two later) are to the left of the short-dashed line.

No, the two lanes that become the Express Lanes on the Inner Loop are "there" as one crosses over the Va. 617 (Backlick Road) overpass.  But the pavement markings imply that it's only one lane that goes to the  two Express Lanes, up until the fresh blacktop starts, then the markings are correct.

Quote from: mtantillo on November 18, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
That isn't how it works though.  No new lanes are added on the left.  The short skips are between the left and second from left lanes, in otherwords, between the two express lanes.  So the lane to the right of the short skips is also an express lane.  Then, just before the split the short skips "jump" over one lane to the right to where they should have been all along. 

So the signs are right, the pavement markings are wrong up until about the last quarter mile before the split. 

That is correct.  Oscar, I think my choice of lane when I snapped those images might have been misleading, and I apologize for that.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 09:40:35 PM
Actually, Oscar, that's not correct. cpzilliacus has it right. The far left lane as you pass over Backlick is the one coming from the HOV ramps. It's the one to the left of the skip line with the smaller, closer-spaced dots. If you're coming from the Wilson Bridge or Van Dorn and you're in the left lane (#%^* to those people), that lane is the one immediately to the right of the aforementioned skip line. It then becomes the right lane of the Express Lanes.

So if you rely solely on pavement markings, you might find it ambiguous. But how many real people actually do that on an Interstate? I stand by my prior opinion that the signs are OBVIOUS and that anyone who knows what "EXIT ONLY" means has no excuse for confusion.

Hoo, that is right.  And there are plenty of brain-dead people out there that rely only on the pavement markings (and I think some drivers probably are not capable of comprehending signs anyway).

1995hoo

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 09:52:24 PM
At the end of this story, WTOP says extra markings are planned, though they don't say what they'll be.

Thanks for sharing that.  I think they need to fix the pavement markings along the Inner Loop passing the Va. 617 underpass and the Robinson Terminal.  It means griding away the "short skip" markings between lanes 1 and 2, and painting those between lanes 2 and 3 instead.

It is not a matter of extra markings.

1995hoo

BTW, cp, it sounds as though you exited left from the Inner Loop towards the HOV ramps but then bore right back to the Beltway (similar to the Outer Loop movement in my final video from yesterday). If that's accurate, can you tell why they even built that lane? It really seems to serve little or no purpose as far as I can tell, unless it's just a bailout route for people who misunderstand the signs for the HOV ramps (which I think is very unlikely!).

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 09:40:35 PM
I stand by my prior opinion that the signs are OBVIOUS and that anyone who knows what "EXIT ONLY" means has no excuse for confusion.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6633.msg185202#msg185202
:banghead:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 10:17:12 PM
BTW, cp, it sounds as though you exited left from the Inner Loop towards the HOV ramps but then bore right back to the Beltway (similar to the Outer Loop movement in my final video from yesterday). If that's accurate, can you tell why they even built that lane? It really seems to serve little or no purpose as far as I can tell, unless it's just a bailout route for people who misunderstand the signs for the HOV ramps (which I think is very unlikely!).
I suppose it provides a better route to/from the express lanes over the bridge, since it feeds to the left of the I-95 lanes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 10:17:12 PM

I did indeed come that way - entering from Va. 241/Telegraph Road.

Allow me to speculate -  I think they built that with the idea that there may be managed lanes between the Wilson Bridge and the Springfield Interchange at some point in the future.

Mapmikey

Toll rate at 530 a.m. on a Monday is still $1.65 for full length.

The VMS sign that was blank in the photos by CP this morning had a flashing message that the left two lanes are express lanes only.  The VMS before and after this sign still list toll rates.

There were 0 users of the lanes in either direction as far as I could tell which makes sense because the beltway is still wide open at that hour.  Will be curious to see what the rates are when I go home at 445.

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.