News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2022, 03:58:18 PM
Regarding I-270, mtantillo said the signage there predates the FHWA's adoption of "express" as a term for managed lanes, so that probably explains a lot. Certainly many of us in the DC area are accustomed to thinking of "express" and "local" in the sense used to refer to the trains on the New York subway (e.g., when I go to New York I take the 2/3 express from Penn Station because it's two stops to my destination versus nine stops if I take the 1 local). I-270 uses the terminology in something similar to that sense–all exits are from the local lanes. I tend to agree with vdeane that most of us were accustomed of thinking of "express lanes" in that context and the example cited in Toronto is consistent with that.

I think I missed something:  When did FHWA officially adopt "express" for only managed lanes?

Is there a new term FHWA want used for current "express" lanes that are not managed?  Other examples I can think of that are signed using express:

* I-80 in Council Bluffs, Iowa
* I-90/I-90/Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago
* I-70 and I-44 in St. Louis

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2022, 01:13:10 PM

I-95/495 would be improved if they added Baltimore underneath the Alexandria on the Local BGS approaching the split.

I agree with that and I suggested it to a couple of people at VDOT; they said they didn't want to suggest to long-distance traffic that they should add to the congestion in the "Local" lanes. Never mind that a perfectly valid way to reach Baltimore is to use said local lanes to I-295 if you want to use the BW Parkway route (and some mapping software will sometimes suggest just that due to the shorter distance, though there are plenty of reasons not to go that way if you know the roads).

Regarding I-270, mtantillo said the signage there predates the FHWA's adoption of "express" as a term for managed lanes, so that probably explains a lot. Certainly many of us in the DC area are accustomed to thinking of "express" and "local" in the sense used to refer to the trains on the New York subway (e.g., when I go to New York I take the 2/3 express from Penn Station because it's two stops to my destination versus nine stops if I take the 1 local). I-270 uses the terminology in something similar to that sense–all exits are from the local lanes. I tend to agree with vdeane that most of us were accustomed of thinking of "express lanes" in that context and the example cited in Toronto is consistent with that.

A different solution entirely would be to have the split be on I-95 before the Springfield Interchange.  This can be done with little construction on the beltway itself beyond jersey walls and a ramp would need to be constructed here to connect I-395 to the outer loop ramp from WB Franconia Rd.  The idea would then be to sign I-95 as it is now which would be for Annapolis and Baltimore while the new ramp from 95/395 would be signed as I-495 Van Dorn St and Alexandria.  Thus I-95 and I-495 would be separate on the outer loop until reaching Maryland.  I-495 pull through BGSs on the Beltway can then list Baltimore so anyone who does end up there can know they don't need to figure out a plan B.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 19, 2022, 10:54:41 PM
I think I missed something:  When did FHWA officially adopt "express" for only managed lanes?

Is there a new term FHWA want used for current "express" lanes that are not managed?  Other examples I can think of that are signed using express:

* I-80 in Council Bluffs, Iowa
* I-90/I-90/Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago
* I-70 and I-44 in St. Louis

You didn't miss anything, nor did 1995Hoo imply that the FHWA uses a term other than "Express Lane" for the NJTP version of "Through Lane" versus "Local Lane" (in some states they still use the term "Thru Lane").  But FHWA did accept (and acknowledge) many states use of the term "Express Lane" for managed lanes, and the MUTCD incorporated "Express Lanes End" signs to deal with related issues.  In fact, the R3-42 and R3-45 signs (Express Lane Ends) are officially listed as "Priced Managed Lane Ends" in the MUTCD.  But it is clear that FHWA has acknowledged that many states use the term "Express Lane" as a branding name for their managed lanes.

All that being said, there is no reason that R3-42 and R3-45 shouldn't be used for traditional "Thru Lanes".

<corrected the quotations>

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2022, 01:13:10 PM

I-95/495 would be improved if they added Baltimore underneath the Alexandria on the Local BGS approaching the split.

I agree with that and I suggested it to a couple of people at VDOT; they said they didn't want to suggest to long-distance traffic that they should add to the congestion in the "Local" lanes. Never mind that a perfectly valid way to reach Baltimore is to use said local lanes to I-295 if you want to use the BW Parkway route (and some mapping software will sometimes suggest just that due to the shorter distance, though there are plenty of reasons not to go that way if you know the roads).

I won't say I've been there very often, but the times I have driven thru the area I find the express lanes more congested than the local lanes.

mrsman

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 19, 2022, 04:49:13 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 19, 2022, 04:37:43 PM
Is it feasible to go 3 hot lanes with a zipper 2 with rush, one contraflow similar to what is done on 15 in San Diego
That's sort of what the shoulder proposal would be, there would be a HO/T shoulder in each direction that would open up in the off peak direction while the existing reversible would handle the peak direction.

That is what is going to be implemented over the next few years on I-64 in Norfolk where the existing reversible lanes are, and what I believe is proposed for I-95.

The problem with I-95 is that peak directions seem to be both ways especially on busy weekends, that warrants a full 2+2 HO/T buildout.

I completely agree.  The drive between the Beltway down to almost Richmond seems to be horrendous at all times.  Both directions need more capacity, and this can only be readily achieved with a 2-way toll lane setup.  There really aren't any alternatives for travel if you are traveling in the reverse peak direction - VRE service seems to be limited to forward direction in the commute direction to DC. 

3 GP + 2 Toll lanes in each direction would handle the demand along this very busy stretch of highway.  3 GP alone cannot at any time other than 1-5 a.m.

1995hoo

You're correct about VRE–it is a peak-direction service and it also runs only on weekdays (but not federal holidays).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

Currently, yes. Increasing VRE service is the main reason for the additional train bridge over the Potomac, and also the extra track about to be added along this corridor.

davewiecking

And speaking of the HOT lanes, I was looking at the NEXT plans, and noticed that this project does not include the GW Pkwy interchange, but does subsume the southbound CD lanes connecting these ramps and the Georgetown Pike (VA-193) interchange. This makes sense, because there's no telling what or when MD will do something with the ALMB over the Potomac. Transurban started removing half of the VA-193 bridge last week.

mrsman

Quote from: davewiecking on August 01, 2022, 08:24:25 AM
And speaking of the HOT lanes, I was looking at the NEXT plans, and noticed that this project does not include the GW Pkwy interchange, but does subsume the southbound CD lanes connecting these ramps and the Georgetown Pike (VA-193) interchange. This makes sense, because there's no telling what or when MD will do something with the ALMB over the Potomac. Transurban started removing half of the VA-193 bridge last week.

VA is moving ahead and MD is falling behind.  The new MD governonr to be elected this coming November could dicatate a lot of transport policy.  If the Democrat wins, I don't expect any HOT lane expansion into MD, even between 270/495 and the bridge.

There is probably no appetite for the massive land takings necessary for HOT lanes to extend along 495 to College Park, but most of the land necessary to expand lanes from the bridge to 270/Shady Grove is within the existing highway right of way.  It just needs some political will.  Especially given that other bridges over the Potomac are not happening, so the only relief would be HOT lanes on the bridge.

1995hoo

On the 11:00 news last night, Channel 4 reported that the I-395 HO/T lane ramp on the south side of the Seminary Road interchange (the high-level ramp constructed a few years ago), which is now restricted to HOV-3 traffic only at all times, will open to all traffic after Labor Day. They said non-HOV traffic will pay a toll. It wasn't clear from the report whether the toll will be a separate toll for that particular ramp or whether the ramp will just get the standard HO/T rules applicable to the rest of the reversible roadway. Either way, it makes eminent sense to make that change.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Always thought that was an odd exception to the HOT corridor. I also doubt that the "HOV-3 only" rule was ever enforced.

My unsubstantiated guess is that it was a bureaucratic vestige of the fact that the ramp was built with federal funds, relating to the opening of the Mark Center, and that perhaps the funding came with strings attached (specifically, HOV-3 only). The ramp was built before 395 was converted to HOT.

froggie

IIRC, it was a requirement of the Transportation Management Plan for Mark Center.  Not sure what's changed to where this is now going to be allowed.

AlexandriaVA

On second thought, an even better possibility relates to the fact that Alexandria was very concerned about the traffic impact of the opening of the Mark Center on local streets in the West End (e.g. Seminary, Beauregard, etc). Many jobs were moved from the Pentagon, which has the slug and transit commute options, to the massive building at Seminary and 395.

The retention of the HOV-3 only rule, even after the corridor was converted to HOT, may have been in order to discourage single-car commuting to the Mark Center.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 03:28:14 PM
IIRC, it was a requirement of the Transportation Management Plan for Mark Center.  Not sure what's changed to where this is now going to be allowed.

Funny that you posted it right as I made my follow up comment.

I don't think the Mark Center traffic ever materialized in a way that they envisioned it. And that was pre-COVID. Nowadays, who knows. I know that Mark Center was supposed to take on most of the WHS jobs, many of which I think are inherently telework-enabled.

74/171FAN

So probably the oddest thing about the new set-up on I-95 SB at the Rappahannock River was that it was actually viable for me to take I-95 SB from Fredericksburg to Richmond tonight.  One year ago I would have headed straight to the US 301/VA 2 corridor without much of a debate.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 23, 2022, 10:08:19 PM
So probably the oddest thing about the new set-up on I-95 SB at the Rappahannock River was that it was actually viable for me to take I-95 SB from Fredericksburg to Richmond tonight.  One year ago I would have headed straight to the US 301/VA 2 corridor without much of a debate.

Was that problem (a year ago) a normal rush hour issue, or a Thanksgiving holiday traffic issue?  It's now been 8 years since I had to fight that mess, but when I would brave taking I-95 it seemed like traffic was mostly free-flow (albeit intense) south of the Falmouth exit (even during holiday traffic).  Whenever I was tired, I always took US-29 or US-522 (and backroads to US-360) the whole way.

D-Dey65

I still do it, since I always travel alone, and never had a need to use the HOT lane, even when it was just the HOV lane.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 24, 2022, 11:30:51 AM
Was that problem (a year ago) a normal rush hour issue, or a Thanksgiving holiday traffic issue?  It's now been 8 years since I had to fight that mess, but when I would brave taking I-95 it seemed like traffic was mostly free-flow (albeit intense) south of the Falmouth exit (even during holiday traffic).  Whenever I was tired, I always took US-29 or US-522 (and backroads to US-360) the whole way.

Rush hour, but it was much worse with holiday traffic

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 24, 2022, 12:11:41 PM
I still do it, since I always travel alone, and never had a need to use the HOT lane, even when it was just the HOV lane.

The HOT Lanes do not play a factor south of Fredericksburg whatsoever because they will not be going south of there for the time being.  I usually get on I-95 SB at US 17 SB when going for time.

Of course, US 301/VA 2 mostly has very little traffic so there is that advantage with a 55 mph speed limit.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

FLAVORTOWN

froggie

I'd love to see how they plan to squeeze that through Newington.

Plutonic Panda

Yawn. Just more discussion to a conversation that never seems to end. When is construction going to start? Lol

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2022, 03:33:46 PM
It's going to take some creative design work or right of way take, but the fact is, it needs to happen. Those I-95 express lanes need to operate bi-directional to be fully effective.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2022, 03:33:46 PM

Will NIMBYS go in a uproar if we suggest a double-decked freeway with HOT lanes elevated over I-95 in a pattern similar to what's proposed for I-35 north of San Antonio?
https://www.texashighwayman.com/i35nex.shtml

froggie

^ A double-decked freeway would be infeasible for other reasons, not the least of which being winter weather.  Would also make construction more complicated and more expensive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.