News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Here is an interesting signage error. On I-30 eastbound at State Line Avenue, there is a mileage sign for AR 245 that was posted by TxDOT. The error is that TxDOT uses an FM shield (square) instead of an AR state shield: http://g.co/maps/z9p5a
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 26, 2012, 07:41:28 AM
Here is an interesting signage error. On I-30 eastbound at State Line Avenue, there is a mileage sign for AR 245 that was posted by TxDOT. The error is that TxDOT uses an FM shield (square) instead of an AR state shield: http://g.co/maps/z9p5a

What's with blurring out the word "EXIT" in the exit number tab and the "EXIT ONLY" wording?

Looks like they are wrapping up construction, so this must be a fairly recent photo. My wife said it was still a major mess when she was through there last spring.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr. Matté

Pretty sure this isn't in the MUTCD:

QuoteWhat's with blurring out the word "EXIT" in the exit number tab and the "EXIT ONLY" wording?

Google Streetview automatically blurs things that look like human faces and license plates. This leads to unintentional blurring of signs, shields, billboards, and faces on billboards.

apeman33

Quote from: hbelkins on January 26, 2012, 10:51:28 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on January 26, 2012, 07:41:28 AM

What's with blurring out the word "EXIT" in the exit number tab and the "EXIT ONLY" wording?

Looks like they are wrapping up construction, so this must be a fairly recent photo. My wife said it was still a major mess when she was through there last spring.

I guess that explains all the blurs on the lower-case e's.

Duke87

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 26, 2012, 07:38:28 PM
Pretty sure this isn't in the MUTCD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT8O5vweitk

Hah. So did someone intentionally modify the signal or did it just happen to break in a most amusing manner?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

yakra

I've read about these -- supposedly it's snow getting stuck in the grate in front of the signal... in a most amusing manner!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

roadfro

^ Doubtful that it's snow stuck in the grate... The snow would be visible, and the snow would cover the display equally such that all upper fingers would be obscured.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

There was a US-37 shield in Delaware, OH which may have been mentioned already; it seems to have been corrected recently.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on January 29, 2012, 11:17:54 AM
There was a US-37 shield in Delaware, OH which may have been mentioned already; it seems to have been corrected recently.
There are still several US 37 shields in Delaware.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

How about the Orlando Oran
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 21, 2012, 12:55:27 AM
Here's some major "FAIL's" by FDOT:

FDOT tells you to get to US-17/FL-228 by getting off @ Exit 352A on I-95.  The problem is.... you're ALREADY on US-17/FL-228 and it doesn't even get off at that exit.  What it's pointing you to is the old route in-town till they re-routed it onto I-10/I-95.  And here's the BGS on the ramp pointing you to the old route.  The problem is that no signage what-so-ever remains for the old route, so you up to guessing where US-17/FL-228 are!
How about the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority forgeting to remove the TO I-4 shield at the Florida Turnpike Interchange Southbound near Winter Garden when FL 429 finally was completed to I-4.  At least, change it to a "TO I-4 East" assembly, but for westbound I-4, it is easier to stay on FL 429 to its terminus.  You would also figure how much toll money they are giving away considering the OOCEA is a business to make money.  There is still one more dollar plus toll booth to go that they own between the FL Turnpike and I-4 on FL 429.  Check it out on street view the erroneous shield SB at the Turnpike exit.  I am all thumbs to provide the link when it comes to street view, or else I would post the link myself here to show you all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

96 can go upside down just as well as 69, I suppose.

This one is more subtle. When you see it...

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 02, 2010, 03:30:13 PM
PA 322 shield errors on PA 261 at its northern terminus at US 322 in Bethel Township, PA...

I don't have a pics but along southbound Amosland Road in Prospect Park/Norwood (Delaware County) PA; there are 5 PA 13 signs leading up to the Chester Pike (US 13) intersection.  The signs SHOULD BE US 13.  What's even more pitiful was that the original signs that were erected and replaced after one year HAD the correct shields.

Quote from: dfilpus on November 21, 2010, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 21, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
I wouldn't really consider that error "infamous", seeing as US-202 switches to DE-202 not too far north of there.  It's a fairly silly switch in route importance; why not call the whole thing US-202 all the way to the end?  especially since at least three or four signs are in error.
Actually, at one time, it was indeed US 202 south of I-95.  For some reason, DelDOT decided to re-route US 202 onto I-95 and Route 141 and end it at US 13/40.  The old US 202/current DE 202 ends at Business US 13.  I guess DelDOT didn't like a US route ending on a Businees US route.  IMHO, DelDOT should've left US 202 alone.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 13, 2012, 07:45:08 PM
I don't have a pics but along southbound Amosland Road in Prospect Park/Norwood (Delaware County) PA; there are 5 PA 13 signs leading up to the Chester Pike (US 13) intersection.  The signs SHOULD BE US 13.  What's even more pitiful was that the original signs that were erected and replaced after one year HAD the correct shields.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up! Might need to check that out this weekend. I also need to desperately get down to Philadelphia to get a photo of a new black PA 291 sign that Jake told me about.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

On OH 38 northbound entering London, there's a OH 56 North assembly.  The only explanation I can think of is maybe it once had a Detour sign on top.  I'm not sure, but this error may have been standing for several years now.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 13, 2012, 09:08:00 PMI also need to desperately get down to Philadelphia to get a photo of a new black PA 291 sign that Jake told me about.
Where abouts is that sign... at the western end of Pattison Ave.?
Heads Up: starting Feb. 20, a 2-year construction project on the Platt Bridge will mean only one lane of traffic in each direction.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kurumi

Maybe I-99 was supposed to be PA 99 all along, and some of us got upset over a simple mistake...
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Ian

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 14, 2012, 07:42:13 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 13, 2012, 09:08:00 PMI also need to desperately get down to Philadelphia to get a photo of a new black PA 291 sign that Jake told me about.
Where abouts is that sign... at the western end of Pattison Ave.?

It's on PA 291 itself going westbound just after Pattison Avenue. It's mounted on a traffic signal pole just before the railroad overpass.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

Permanent signs with no construction in sight should not be orange! There are several of these along PA 154.

And US 9 gets cut down to size, twice:

6a

Quote from: vtk on February 13, 2012, 10:32:31 PM
On OH 38 northbound entering London, there's a OH 56 North assembly.  The only explanation I can think of is maybe it once had a Detour sign on top.  I'm not sure, but this error may have been standing for several years now.

If it wasn't last year, it was the year before, but 56 was closed at that park just outside downtown (can't remember the name) for reconstruction.  I do work at London Correctional sometimes and kept getting caught by that damnable detour.  I did learn all the local shortcuts, though :sombrero:

WNYroadgeek

That's not Aero Drive, NYSDOT: http://g.co/maps/fv6wv

EDIT: Went past there today, and it's been corrected.

PHLBOS

In Prospect Park, PA, another incorrect trailblazer sign for US 13 south has recently been erected along PA 420 northbound. 

The original multi-trailblazer setup assembly (containing signage for US 13 North & South along with Truck Route 420 South) was replaced with separate assemblies; probably due to the original setup getting knocked over & damaged in an accident. 

The signage for US 13 North & Truck Route 420 South is correct; but the shield for 13 South is the PA keystone.  Adding insult to injury, the numerals for said PA 13 sign is the narrow Series B or even A font; very ugly IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheStranger

A US highway used to pass through El Centro.

It however wasn't this nonexistent one:

DSC_5893 by csampang, on Flickr
Chris Sampang

Quillz

At least it's a nice '61-spec shield.

roadman65

I was noticing that on I-80 EB near Netcong, NJ on google street view there it shows the overhead gantry at Exit 25 (US 206 NB) it has Netcong & New York City as control points on the I-80 pull through sign which is situated to the left of the forthcoming Exit 27 and present Exit 25.  The thing is that is the exit for Netcong (the only exit on I-80 for that town) is Exit 27 and is used as control point for that sign too.  So you have Netcong for both I-80 EB and NJ 183 NB on the same assembly with only one route going there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

This is not VA 317, nor is any road currently VA 317. This is actually Frontage Road 317, which should be posted as F317 by Virginia standards. It's also an old alignment of VA 40.

This is just silly. Yeah, SR 602 curves to the right eventually, but still...

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.