News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Older Massachusetts Paddle Signs

Started by Zeffy, June 24, 2015, 08:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Somewhere in my regular travels there is one made of plywood that has a corner snapped off and the crisscrossed wood fibers exposed, but I can't remember where.

What were these signs edged with that they lasted this long?  Even PT ply has a limit of reasonable exposure time, particularly with an upward-facing edge.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 07, 2015, 06:56:57 PM
Somewhere in my regular travels there is one made of plywood that has a corner snapped off and the crisscrossed wood fibers exposed, but I can't remember where.

What were these signs edged with that they lasted this long?  Even PT ply has a limit of reasonable exposure time, particularly with an upward-facing edge.

For permanent plywood signs, MassDPW specs required the use of 5 ply 3/4 inch HDO Marine Exterior Grade A-B finish.  Signs were required to have two coats of primer and two coats of finish color.  Also, panel edges and any imperfections on the panels were required to be filled in with plastic wood and sanded smooth prior to application of primer and finish.

It's not a "paddle' sign, but there's an old plywood GAS sign at the end of the exit ramp from I-95 (128) north to North Avenue in Wakefield.  The blue background is badly faded, but the panel itself is still intact.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

In Wakefield/Lynnfield, MA; there's still a surviving 1976-era D8 sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 08, 2015, 04:47:35 PM
In Wakefield/Lynnfield, MA; there's still a surviving 1976-era D8 sign.
I drive by that sign a couple of times a week.  It was somehow missed in the 1999 Reading to Lynnfield I-95 (MA 128) sign update.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SectorZ

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.529187,-70.957614,3a,75y,140.84h,94.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSpT1UXw2lW67QX8ELZC_GA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This one seems a bit unique of the old guard, had never seen this one until being on this road today, and don't recall any quite like this. There are similar signs down the street each way from the intersection as well.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Cjzani on July 09, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.529187,-70.957614,3a,75y,140.84h,94.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSpT1UXw2lW67QX8ELZC_GA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
This one seems a bit unique of the old guard, had never seen this one until being on this road today, and don't recall any quite like this. There are similar signs down the street each way from the intersection as well.
1987-88 vintage; one of the surviving original installments from the I-95/MA 128/Forest St. interchanges project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 09, 2015, 06:12:51 PM
Quote from: Cjzani on July 09, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
1987-88 vintage; one of the surviving original installments from the I-95/MA 128/Forest St. interchanges project.

Curious PHLBOS if you know the background of something else that caught me eye around there. The bridge on Forest St over I-95 is dated from 1972, yet that stretch of I-95 didn't open until much later, maybe around that 87-88 window?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.532638,-70.981246,3a,15y,2.03h,75.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTjqvQ1vNThAiaqqhGQF_yA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PurdueBill

I once lived near there (1980-2001) and can answer--they built the overpass for the planned I-95 that was to connect to the cancelled part inside 128.  The bridge stood there until the section of 95 from exit 46 down to 128 opened, crossing over nothing but some clearing and dirt paths.

SectorZ

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 09, 2015, 11:06:05 PM
I once lived near there (1980-2001) and can answer--they built the overpass for the planned I-95 that was to connect to the cancelled part inside 128.  The bridge stood there until the section of 95 from exit 46 down to 128 opened, crossing over nothing but some clearing and dirt paths.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the answer. I figured it was something like that.

PHLBOS

Prior to the final construction and opening of the I-95/MA 128 interchange, the I-95 roadbed underneath that Forest St. overpass wound up being a dumping ground of sorts (including a few old matresses) for many years.

To add: it's worth noting that the only reason why the I-95 roadbed stopped where it did back then was not because then-MassDPW didn't aquire the land for the MA 128 interchange (they did sans some slivers); but rather the decision to cancel building I-95 south of 128 forced a complete redesign of the interchange.  It should be noted that the interchange redesign (to its current scheme) did require some additional (comparatively sliver-sized) land takings.

The original interchange design (which included a reroute of the 128 mainline corridor that would later be built) was similar to the original I-95/MA 128 interchange in Canton; except that the flyover ramp movement would have been from 128 South to I-95 South.  Needless to say, this was one case where not building the original interchange design sooner ultimately proved beneficial.  Such (minus the cancelled I-95 South movements) would've had the same issues that the current Canton interchange faces today.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman on July 01, 2015, 06:40:50 PM

The last black on white "cut corner" D6 sign I recall seeing "in the flesh" was for Crane Beach in Ipswich in about 1988.  Haven't been to Ipswich in years, but I would think it's been replaced since then.

It's still there. Argilla Rd is a town road, so I don't expect it to go away any time soon. The sign at Northgate Rd on MA 133 was replaced with a new green square one though.

Ipswich actually has a decent number of old signs on town roads, including some decades-old warning signs on MA 1A/133 east of the Choate Bridge, and these unfortunately now broken gems on Topsfield Rd.

The surrounding towns (e.g. Georgetown) have quite a few remaining "arrow through number" signs as well. Including at least one arrow through a 95. A few old shields if you know where to look as well.

Quote from: Beeper1 on July 01, 2015, 11:35:17 PM
There may still be some white cut corner ones out in the town of Mt. Washington. Las time I was there (2013) most were still there but either pretty badly faded or had been repainted by the town and no longer had their original paint.

They were all still on concrete posts with the state shield medallion in them. 

That was my experience as well when I was there as well. They're all either so worn they're almost illegible, or the town has recently repainted them. Steve has good coverage of them on his site.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

bob7374

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PM
It's still there. Argilla Rd is a town road, so I don't expect it to go away any time soon. The sign at Northgate Rd on MA 133 was replaced with a new green square one though.

Ipswich actually has a decent number of old signs on town roads, including some decades-old warning signs on MA 1A/133 east of the Choate Bridge, and these unfortunately now broken gems on Topsfield Rd.

The surrounding towns (e.g. Georgetown) have quite a few remaining "arrow through number" signs as well. Including at least one arrow through a 95. A few old shields if you know where to look as well.

That was my experience as well when I was there as well. They're all either so worn they're almost illegible, or the town has recently repainted them. Steve has good coverage of them on his site.
Here's an old 2-route paddle sign from further west on MA 113.

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PMThe surrounding towns (e.g. Georgetown) have quite a few remaining "arrow through number" signs as well. Including at least one arrow through a 95.
That assembly's likely from the late 80s/early 90s.  IMHO, the only thing that D6 panel needs is just a new I-95 shield (to replace the faded one).
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PMA few old shields if you know where to look as well.
I mentioned similar in another thread but will repost here.  Here's another old surviving MassDPW route shield for MA 129 near Preston Beach in Swampscott.

Quote from: bob7374 on July 15, 2015, 11:39:42 PMHere's an old 2-route paddle sign from further west on MA 113.
Judging by the taller first letters on the direction cardinals; that D6/D8 LGS set-up is from the 1990s and fabricated shortly before then-MassHighway changed their layout format.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 16, 2015, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PMThe surrounding towns (e.g. Georgetown) have quite a few remaining "arrow through number" signs as well. Including at least one arrow through a 95.
That assembly's likely from the late 80s/early 90s.  IMHO, the only thing that D6 panel needs is just a new I-95 shield (to replace the faded one).
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PMA few old shields if you know where to look as well.
I mentioned similar in another thread but will repost here.  Here's another old surviving MassDPW route shield for MA 129 near Preston Beach in Swampscott.

Quote from: bob7374 on July 15, 2015, 11:39:42 PMHere's an old 2-route paddle sign from further west on MA 113.
Judging by the taller first letters on the direction cardinals; that D6/D8 LGS set-up is from the 1990s and fabricated shortly before then-MassHighway changed their layout format.
The rounded corners on the border also peg these signs as being replaced in the early 1990s.  I'd say this set was likely changed out under either accident recovery or the District sign maintenance contract, as the support post appears to predate the panels (SOP for D6/D8 sign replacement in construction projects is to replace both the signs and posts in most cases).

Dougtone

Quote from: Beeper1 on July 01, 2015, 11:35:17 PM
There may still be some white cut corner ones out in the town of Mt. Washington. Las time I was there (2013) most were still there but either pretty badly faded or had been repainted by the town and no longer had their original paint.

They were all still on concrete posts with the state shield medallion in them.
The last time I was over in Mount Washington town, I believe that a number of the white cut corner signs were replaced.

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on July 15, 2015, 11:39:42 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2015, 08:10:17 PM

Here's an old 2-route paddle sign from further west on MA 113.

Sadly that one is gone with the new Groveland bridge rebuilt beside it. New D6/D8 panels with the actual route shield on the sign when the bridge opened and the intersection was rebuilt, probably all done sometime last year.

DrSmith

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 20, 2015, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: spooky on July 20, 2015, 06:51:46 AM
Ivory Street in Braintree

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.207362,-70.999837,3a,77.4y,13.11h,80.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqpUCAHh-oFsUXclkxMGQNA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
Judging by the font (note the 600 numerals); that D6 LGS is probably from the late 70s/early 80s.

Seems likely. There are a number of BGS and paddle sign relics around the Braintree T station.

Conn. Roads

It's too bad these signs are being replaced, because this was a distinctive MA thing. They remind me of a bike trip I did as a teen. I rode from Plainville, CT, to Pepperell. They are also fond reminders of my college days in the Commonwealth too.

Another distinctive road sign are the town line signs. These are a good welcome back, since I now live in New Yuck, and would die to move back to New England.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Conn. Roads on April 27, 2016, 09:04:39 PMAnother distinctive road sign are the town line signs. These are a good welcome back, since I now live in New Yuck, and would die to move back to New England.
Are you referring to the ENTERING XXXXXX bookleaf signs or the tri-street blade signs (normally seen on unnumbered roads & typically local installations) pardon the blurry GSV?

As far as I know, neither of those signs styles are changing.  Roadman can confirm/correct.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 28, 2016, 11:52:14 AM
Quote from: Conn. Roads on April 27, 2016, 09:04:39 PMAnother distinctive road sign are the town line signs. These are a good welcome back, since I now live in New Yuck, and would die to move back to New England.
Are you referring to the ENTERING XXXXXX bookleaf signs or the tri-street blade signs (normally seen on unnumbered roads & typically local installations) pardon the blurry GSV?

As far as I know, neither of those signs styles are changing.  Roadman can confirm/correct.
PHLBOS is correct.  MassDOT has no plans to change the format or design of town line signs on secondary state highways or other local roads where towns have requested such signs be placed.

sibelle-marie

Please excuse the untimeliness of this reply--

Would just like to point out a few more of these. I've grown up seeing these and taking them for granted (I'm 19) because there's still so many in my area!

The intersection of Routes 113 (Pleasant St.) and 38 (Bridge St.) in Dracut has paddles all four ways, as well as the 113 Eastbound at the "Y" with Hovey Street.
Another set of signs, both directions, are in the islands at the intersection of Rte 113 (Riverside St.) and the VFW Highway, in Lowell.

Again, sorry for the untimeliness.
- Sibelle

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.