News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Thanks Bob for posting this information on your site.  One minor clarification, the West Stockbridge to Auburn project ends east of the I-290/I-395 interchange.  So the advance signs for the current Exit 10 - new Exit 90 interchange in both directions will be replaced under this project.

The Auburn to Boston project, which is scheduled to be let for bids on October 31st, will replace all the signs from the Route 146 interchange in Millbury to the eastbound signing at the Allston/Brighton interchange in Boston.  Note that the westbound signing for Allston/Brighton was replaced a few years back as part of the project to change the Citizen's Bank FastLane signing to E-ZPass, and that all most other signing east of Allston/Brighton was installed/updated as part of the Big Dig.

thanks to southshore720 for the clarification re:  the Pru Tunnel exit signs
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

southshore720

Will that mean that there will be orphaned button copy for Exit 22: Prudential Ctr./Copley Square?  You can hardly see the signage at the exit in the Pru tunnel...it's so dark and unlit that I can't tell what kind of signage is there.

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on October 07, 2015, 10:12:03 PM
Will that mean that there will be orphaned button copy for Exit 22: Prudential Ctr./Copley Square?  You can hardly see the signage at the exit in the Pru tunnel...it's so dark and unlit that I can't tell what kind of signage is there.
There is a contract pending for overhead sign repairs for the Downtown Boston tunnel system - I suspect those panels will be replaced under that contract.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on October 07, 2015, 06:33:34 PM
It's interesting that MassDOT went with a diagrammatic BGS for this interchange despite not having a shared-lane.  I was under the impression that such was now an MUTCD no-no (for the record, I do not agree with MUTCD's current take on this subject).

If the reasoning for doing such was due to traffic volume (based on personal experience with this interchange); why wasn't similar done for the Briantree Split and/or the MA 24 interchange alont  I-93?

Corrected due to brain-freeze.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Diagrammatic signage is best kept to option lanes per MUTCD. In this case, however, I'd make an exception. People unfamiliar with the area might be expecting such a major departure to be on the left. Traffic here does split pretty evenly. I don't know why it wasn't done elsewhere, but it is certainly a good location for distinctive signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on October 08, 2015, 11:41:16 AM
Diagrammatic signage is best kept to option lanes per MUTCD. In this case, however, I'd make an exception. People unfamiliar with the area might be expecting such a major departure to be on the left. Traffic here does split pretty evenly. I don't know why it wasn't done elsewhere, but it is certainly a good location for distinctive signage.
I absolutely agree & I shared such on Facebook.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 08, 2015, 10:08:13 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 07, 2015, 06:33:34 PM
It's interesting that MassDOT went with a diagrammatic BGS for this interchange despite not having a shared-lane.  I was under the impression that such was now an MUTCD no-no (for the record, I do not agree with MUTCD's current take on this subject).

If the reasoning for doing such was due to traffic volume (based on personal experience with this interchange); why wasn't similar done for the Briantree Split and/or the MA 24 interchange alont I-93?

I-93 at MA 24 has diagrammatic signs in both directions.  I-93 south at MA 3 - Braintree Split also has diagrammatic signs.  I-93 north at MA 3 - Braintree Split has conventional signs instead of diagrammatics.  IIRC, it ws decided not to go with diagrammatics on that approach due to the proximinty of MA 3 Exits 19-18 (Burgin Parkway/Washington Street) to the split.

For now, the local FHWA office has remained receptive to MassDOT using diagrammatic signs for other than 'option-lane' situations, such as the signs for Sturbridge.  However, as the West Stockbridge to Auburn re-signing is being done entirely with state funds, it was not subject to FHWA review.

PHLBOS

Roadman, I had a bit of a brain-freeze regarding those I-93/MA 3 & I-93/MA 24 diagammatic BGS' and since corrected my last post.

Quote from: roadman on October 08, 2015, 12:30:58 PMFor now, the local FHWA office has remained receptive to MassDOT using diagrammatic signs for other than 'option-lane' situations, such as the signs for Sturbridge.  However, as the West Stockbridge to Auburn re-signing is being done entirely with state funds, it was not subject to FHWA review.
Interesting.  Good to know.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

So Mass Pike gets milebased numbers now, and the other highways, for an indefinite period still keep the seqential numbering.  That is interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2015, 02:34:50 AM
So Mass Pike gets milebased numbers now, and the other highways, for an indefinite period still keep the seqential numbering.  That is interesting.

Mass Pike also has widely-spaced exits. It's quite useful for travelers west of Springfield to know the relative location of the next exit when they're 30 miles apart.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

It's the exact opposite in Jersey, and no plans to change that
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

spooky

The project to convert the rest of the state is not far behind the Mass Pike signing project - it is scheduled for bid opening in November.

kurumi

Quote from: southshore720 on August 23, 2015, 01:42:47 PM
I also approve of I-395's new control of New London instead of Norwich.  Technically, I-395 only leads to you CT 32 to get to New London directly as they have yet to move on the 95/395/CT 11 interchange that would provide direct access from the end of I-395 to I-95 North.  (Wishful thinking for completion of this interchange?)  But at least it addresses the terminus location as opposed to midway through I-395.

The proposed 95/395/11 interchange does not include movements from 395 SB to 95 NB and 95 SB to 395 NB -- CT 32 will still be used for the 395/New London connection. Diagram of the interchange plan (from circa 2002) is on the CT 11 page: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/ct11.html

(I, too, would still like to see this built!)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ARMOURERERIC

If PA has to put "New England on a 80EB BGS at 81, I think it's only fair that they put Scranton on the WB Mass Pike sign :)

roadman65

That should be interesting for I-495 as it would be the first (second actually as the Mass Pike is over 100 miles long)to have three digit exit numbering for the road that held the title for longest 3 digit interstate until I-476 in PA took the title away from it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2015, 01:39:14 PM
That should be interesting for I-495 as it would be the first (second actually as the Mass Pike is over 100 miles long)to have three digit exit numbering for the road that held the title for longest 3 digit interstate until I-476 in PA took the title away from it.
The expressway portion of MA 2 between Lexington (I-95/MA 128) Lexington and the Alewife station (US 3/MA 16) will have 3-digit exit numbers as well.  Interestingly, the new exit number for the I-95 interchange (current Exit 52A-B) will be Exit 128A-B).

IMHO, the next MA highway candidate for an exit number conversion will probably be I-84; that highway's just over 7 miles and only has 3 interchanges (4 if one counts the connection with I-90/Mass Pike).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 09, 2015, 12:20:31 PM
If PA has to put "New England on a 80EB BGS at 81, I think it's only fair that they put Scranton on the WB Mass Pike sign :)
If PA chooses to put "New England" on a BGS on I-80, or on signs at the I-84 EB/I-380 split, that's PennDOT's decision.  MassDOT is under no obligation to place "Scranton" on any of their signs.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman on October 09, 2015, 05:38:32 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 09, 2015, 12:20:31 PM
If PA chooses to put "New England" on a BGS on I-80, or on signs at the I-84 EB/I-384 split, that's PennDOT's decision.  MassDOT is under no obligation to place "Scranton" on any of their signs.

I assume you mean the I-84/I-380 split.  You're already well into New England at 84/384
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

The reason for PennDOT doing that was because of a truck ban on US 209 between Bushkill and Shawnee.  Those at Scranton on I-81 were follow up signs for ones on I-81 at I-78 several miles earlier directing truck traffic via I-81 and I-84 so the truckers do not take I-78 E Bound to PA 33 to US 209.

For years that part of US 209 was a connection between I-80 and I-84 until lawmakers decided to put a truck ban on that part of US 209 for whatever reason they chose.  I believe it might of been because of the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area and trying to make Route 209 to be like a parkway, but I am not totally sure.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2015, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2015, 01:39:14 PM
The expressway portion of MA 2 between Lexington (I-95/MA 128) Lexington and the Alewife station (US 3/MA 16) will have 3-digit exit numbers as well.  Interestingly, the new exit number for the I-95 interchange (current Exit 52A-B) will be Exit 128A-B).

IMHO, the next MA highway candidate for an exit number conversion will probably be I-84; that highway's just over 7 miles and only has 3 interchanges (4 if one counts the connection with I-90/Mass Pike).
Wow, they are doing non interstate highways too!  That is incredible as many just do the interstates with some like VA still keeping sequential numbering on I-395 and I-664, in which both are still interstates even though not primary ones. 

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2015, 12:53:58 PM
Wow, they are doing non interstate highways too!  That is incredible as many just do the interstates with some like VA still keeping sequential numbering on I-395 and I-664, in which both are still interstates even though not primary ones.

From the 2009 Massachusetts supplement to the MUTCD:

Section 2E.31 Interchange Exit Numbering

Massachusetts will be changing all its interchange exit signs statewide to the reference location numbering system, with the entire state highway system to be converted to the new numbers within the next five to ten years. The Department will be updating the exit numbers to the reference-based system on a route-by-route basis, after existing signs within a given highway corridor have been updated during normal replacement.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

mrsman

True, but wouldn't the same thing be accomplished with an APL?

AMLNet49

Currently at the I-84 interchange they simply list a two-lane exit only. I don't see what is confusing about that, and why that needs to be improved upon in this situation.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on October 11, 2015, 09:15:47 AM

True, but wouldn't the same thing be accomplished with an APL?
I don't believe that MassDOT has adopted APL as of yet.  Additionally, while one can let diagrammatics for non-shared lanes slide; I don't believe the same can be said for APLs.

Quote from: AMLNet49 on October 11, 2015, 11:02:18 AM
Currently at the I-84 interchange they simply list a two-lane exit only. I don't see what is confusing about that, and why that needs to be improved upon in this situation.
Keep in mind, what's been posted thus far is only handful of signs.  I'm assuming that there will be a further-advance diagrammatic BGS' for this interchange along I-90 westbound.  As far as improvement is concerned; given the fact that this stretch backs up for miles; the diagrammatics gives one unfamiliar with the area an advance visual.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 10, 2015, 11:20:39 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2015, 12:53:58 PM

From the 2009 Massachusetts supplement to the MUTCD:

Section 2E.31 Interchange Exit Numbering

Massachusetts will be changing all its interchange exit signs statewide to the reference location numbering system, with the entire state highway system to be converted to the new numbers within the next five to ten years. The Department will be updating the exit numbers to the reference-based system on a route-by-route basis, after existing signs within a given highway corridor have been updated during normal replacement.
The information contained in the Massachusetts Amendements about implementation of milepost-based exit numbers is now somewhat out of date.  Under the contract that has just been let for bids (MassDOT Project # 608024), most Interstates and freeways will be converted within a two year time frame once notice to proceed is issued to the Contractor.  The two exceptions are I-90/MassPike between West Stockbridge and the Allston-Brighton tolls in Boston, which will be converted as part of the sign replacement projects, and the I-93 and I-90 tunnel system in Boston, which will be converted as part of the pending MHS overhead sign maintenance/repair contract.

The reason for the change in the time frame for implementation is because MassDOT was able to secure Federal funding (Highway Safety Improvement Program - HSIP) for the work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.