News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speed Limit -8

Started by Ian, December 10, 2010, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Based on how Virginia does it on surface streets (an extremely annoying example that comes to mind is US 60 eastbound approaching the Virginia Beach Oceanfront), I couldn't disagree with you more. I would much rather keep cruising along at 55, see a 25 ahead sign, and slow down to 25 then see a row of signs ahead each with 10 mph less, and spaced far enough that it's not one smooth deceleration. Like you'd slow down to 45, hold for a few, then slow down to 35, hold for a few, then slow down to 25.

And it's highly irritating to go from a 50 to a 25 zone anyway, regardless of whether it's staggered or not.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

triplemultiplex

Quote from: rmsandw on March 29, 2011, 05:01:57 PM
A sign at the Stark County Courthouse in Wisconsin has a speed limit 2 sign.
There is no Stark County in Wisconsin.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

agentsteel53

Sauk County.  I've seen the signs - they're in Baraboo.  that town also has a much more interesting sign that dates to the early 20s!

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

I've never been a fan of staggered speed limits because it does not allow me to plan for the final speed accurately.  I just keep saying to myself "what, another drop??"

if it were prefixed with a "speed limit 25 ahead" yellow diamond warning sign, then it would be more strategically sensible.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 29, 2011, 05:49:55 PM
Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
This reminds me... I was a bit taken by the 60mph speed limit on I-83 north of Baltimore the other day. I think that's the first time I can recall seeing 60 on a freeway (or at least the first time in a long while). For some reason they always use 55 or 65 (or 70 & 75 outside the northeast).

Virginia staggers speed limit decreases going into cities most of the time, which leads to, at least on I-64 heading into Hampton Roads, 70 -> 65 -> 60 -> 55. Plus I-664 and I-464 within Hampton Roads have segments with a speed limit of 60.

I had never really thought about it, always assuming that that was just as common a speed limit as any of the other even numbers (50, 40, etc.).

I think because when they lifted the 55 exemption, first it was to 65 on freeways, so everyone instantly went up to 65. Then the ceiling went completely, but there's not a lot of utility to changing something by 5 mph versus 10, 15, or more. Just a theory.
Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 05:57:49 PM
I've seen that elsewhere, just usually in 10s... 65 -> 55 -> 45 (if needed). One place that sticks in my mind outside the freeway system is Old Trenton Road in West Windsor, NJ. The road is 50, but drops down to 35 because of a blind intersection and a traffic light. They drop the limit to 45, then, I think to 40, then to 35. I wish more roads had staggered speed drops, since it's highly irritating to go from a 50 zone to 25 (usually with a cop sitting right behind the sign). By staggering it, you can at least just let up off the gas and cruise down to the proper speed.

That's fine, as long as the other direction doesn't stagger back up slowly. Hate that.

tollboothrob

Haha! Those signs are just as bad as the neon overhead RSA (Reduced Speed Ahead) signs. The variable speed limit (VSL) signs I usually see are either correct or blank. But LOL on - 8.

My boss showed me a sign test where it will flash all the available speeds, and I believe it was in multiples of 5 between 35 and 65. Not sure all the speeds it's capable of displaying.

The Authority is replacing the neon signs with new full-color overhead VMS boards, and I am sure this will include the speed limit signs as well.
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

agentsteel53

Quote from: tollboothrob on March 30, 2011, 12:01:00 AM
My boss showed me a sign test where it will flash all the available speeds, and I believe it was in multiples of 5 between 35 and 65. Not sure all the speeds it's capable of displaying.

there's always a few errant settings in the firmware, like the "-8" shown here.  I wouldn't be surprised if most of the settings didn't line up with actual digit depictions. 

jake@aaroads.com

Compulov

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 07:33:57 PM
I've never been a fan of staggered speed limits because it does not allow me to plan for the final speed accurately.  I just keep saying to myself "what, another drop??"

if it were prefixed with a "speed limit 25 ahead" yellow diamond warning sign, then it would be more strategically sensible.

I've *really* liked the fact that they started using these over the last few years. Nothing more stupid in my eyes than a "Reduced speed ahead" sign and no clue what the new speed is until you see it.

Compulov

Quote from: tollboothrob on March 30, 2011, 12:01:00 AM
Haha! Those signs are just as bad as the neon overhead RSA (Reduced Speed Ahead) signs. The variable speed limit (VSL) signs I usually see are either correct or blank. But LOL on - 8.

The Authority is replacing the neon signs with new full-color overhead VMS boards, and I am sure this will include the speed limit signs as well.

I really like the new variable speed limit signs they put up in the construction zone. I hope those become permanent. That or ones like the PA Turnpike put up in some of their new construction areas out west or the ones on I-495 in Delaware.

PAHighways

Quote from: Compulov on March 30, 2011, 12:41:28 PMI really like the new variable speed limit signs they put up in the construction zone. I hope those become permanent. That or ones like the PA Turnpike put up in some of their new construction areas out west or the ones on I-495 in Delaware.

There are variable speed limit signs on the section east of Breezewood as the Turnpike climbs and crosses Rays and Sideling Hills and between Exit 91 and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel.  Speed limit in the construction zones is 55 and there is usually one of those "YOUR SPEED IS..." signs with a radar gun at the start to slow people down.

Compulov

Quote from: PAHighways on March 30, 2011, 06:54:03 PM
Quote from: Compulov on March 30, 2011, 12:41:28 PMI really like the new variable speed limit signs they put up in the construction zone. I hope those become permanent. That or ones like the PA Turnpike put up in some of their new construction areas out west or the ones on I-495 in Delaware.

There are variable speed limit signs on the section east of Breezewood as the Turnpike climbs and crosses Rays and Sideling Hills and between Exit 91 and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel.  Speed limit in the construction zones is 55 and there is usually one of those "YOUR SPEED IS..." signs with a radar gun at the start to slow people down.

I didn't state it as well as I could have, but those (the ones crossing Rays and Sideling Hills) are exactly the ones I was talking about. The last time I was out that way it had looked like it was somewhat recently (last few years) repaved/resurfaced/whatever with the new variable speed limit signs up. Did they only do them there because of high winds, though?

PAHighways

Quote from: Compulov on March 31, 2011, 03:42:49 PMI didn't state it as well as I could have, but those (the ones crossing Rays and Sideling Hills) are exactly the ones I was talking about. The last time I was out that way it had looked like it was somewhat recently (last few years) repaved/resurfaced/whatever with the new variable speed limit signs up. Did they only do them there because of high winds, though?

Wind, snow, sleet, ice, fog, etc.

Bickendan

Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: rmsandw on March 29, 2011, 05:01:57 PM
A sign at the Stark County Courthouse in Wisconsin has a speed limit 2 sign.
Can they give you a speeding ticket if you run?

How about if you walk?! I walk at 3 mph, 100% over the limit!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bickendan on April 01, 2011, 04:23:41 PM
How about if you walk?! I walk at 3 mph, 100% over the limit!

ooh, citation for poor arithmetic - $268 fine.

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

D'oh! Will that be a check, money order or an IOU?

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

The Premier

:-D  That's a good one.
Alex P. Dent

Scott5114

Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
This reminds me... I was a bit taken by the 60mph speed limit on I-83 north of Baltimore the other day. I think that's the first time I can recall seeing 60 on a freeway (or at least the first time in a long while). For some reason they always use 55 or 65 (or 70 & 75 outside the northeast).

Most of the OKC freeway system is signed 60 MPH (the default speed limit for non-turnpike freeways in OK is 70).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Urban freeways in Washington are also 60.  (And rural is also 70.  :))

Bickendan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.