News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NJ Turnpike upgrading signing

Started by NJRoadfan, December 29, 2010, 09:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

The word 'should', which is guidance, applies to the whole section. (Broken lines) should ([10/30] or [similar ratio]).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

They are 25-25, not 25-10 or 25-15. That's the standard, and the NJTA is pretty good about upholding standards. Is 2:2 a similar ratio to 3:1? Maybe not. Is 2:4 a similar ratio to 1:4? A little closer. The fact is that you clearly have lane stripes and blank spaces. As long as there isn't confusion between solid and dashed, it should be okay. (Note that dotted lines use a 1:2 stripe:space ratio, which is even closer to the Tpk's lane lines.)

NJRoadfan

Thanks to YouTube, someone got a good shot of the "Next Exit" legends.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2011, 10:57:34 AM
What's funny about the separate panel conforming to MUTCD standards is that there is so little of the NJ Turnpike conforming to MUTCD standards!  From the Exit # appearing in the main sign panel rather than a tab at the top, to the 25' skip lines in the roadway, there are so many things out of conformity!

more than anywhere else the NJTP exit number is important.  So I guess it makes sense to have it on the main BGS.  I grew up off of the GSP exit 98 but there are so few NJTP exits the numbers are that much more important.  I was exit 7a or 4 if you wanted a 2 lane ride thru the Pine Barrens

Alps

It's moving off the BGS though, in case they're ever forced to upgrade to mile-based exit numbers. Just a guess that they don't like patching with greenout on their signs.

vdeane

I wonder why the number became so important on the NJ Turnpike but not anywhere else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: deanej on August 12, 2011, 10:12:56 PM
I wonder why the number became so important on the NJ Turnpike but not anywhere else.
Because you have to read that number off your toll ticket on only the Turnpike.

vdeane

I take it they didn't post the towns/routes served on the ticket as well?  The Thruway doesn't have the exit number culture the Turnpike has.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

The turnpike used to have the towns on the ticket, back when each class of vehicle had their own ticket.  Now that there's one ticket for all vehicle classes, I can't recall if they still do.  The font is so small anyway, people couldn't read it anyway.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on August 12, 2011, 10:54:47 PM
Quote from: deanej on August 12, 2011, 10:12:56 PM
Because you have to read that number off your toll ticket on only the Turnpike.

So you did on the Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike, but that didn't make the numbers all that important.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 13, 2011, 08:25:34 AM
The turnpike used to have the towns on the ticket, back when each class of vehicle had their own ticket.  Now that there's one ticket for all vehicle classes, I can't recall if they still do.  The font is so small anyway, people couldn't read it anyway.

old and new tickets: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/i-95/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.