News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pittsburgh pics 1985

Started by Stephane Dumas, February 12, 2011, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I don't know if I posted in the right section  :poke: :-/ but I spotted these vintage pictures of Pittsburgh from 1985 including some street scenes from the era at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188571

rickmastfan67

Thanks for posting that link.  It's interesting to see my city from that far back in the past!  Interesting sign configuration on the Ft. Pitt. Bridge.  I can't remember any of this since I was only born in late 1984.

agentsteel53

great state-named 376 on the bridge!  I believe there are two left of those - at least, we have a rickmastfan67 photo of the pair from 2009.  Anyone know if they are still there?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 12, 2011, 09:35:38 PM
great state-named 376 on the bridge!  I believe there are two left of those - at least, we have a rickmastfan67 photo of the pair from 2009.  Anyone know if they are still there?

The I-376 shield near the Civic Arena is still there as of December 30th, 2010 along with it's I-579 counterpart.  I-579 is the only Interstate in Pittsburgh with more state named shields than neutered ones.  In fact, the only neutered I-579 shield that I know of is the brand new "END" shield.

agentsteel53

always good to know!

any '57 or '61 spec shields in the Pgh area?  I know of the 83 in Harrisburg but that is far away... the only antique gem I know of in Pgh is a real ultimate antique gem: a fully embossed Turnpike trailblazer dating back to the first signing in 1940!

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 12, 2011, 09:51:50 PM
any '57 or '61 spec shields in the Pgh area?  I know of the 83 in Harrisburg but that is far away... the only antique gem I know of in Pgh is a real ultimate antique gem: a fully embossed Turnpike trailblazer dating back to the first signing in 1940!

I don't think that there are any '57 or '61 spec shields in the area. :(  '70 is the best you're going to find (unless there are some hidden somewhere that I don't know about).

I do know that there are still a few state named I-279 shields out there if you know where to look.  Too bad none of them are on I-279 itself.  I know this '70 spec was still alive last time I was in West View: www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=PA19792791

And these I-376 ones where still there last time I was in Monroeville.  However, the PA Turnpike 76 shield was covered over. :-D  Would post a picture of that, but it's still on my memory card and I don't feel like going and getting it right now. :sombrero:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 12, 2011, 08:53:49 PM
I don't know if I posted in the right section  :poke: :-/ but I spotted these vintage pictures of Pittsburgh from 1985 including some street scenes from the era at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188571

Robert Pence. I know him. Retired, lives in Ft. Wayne, photographs cities, likes trains. Nice guy.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PAHighways

A lot of old Pittsburgh signals in those shots, and from the construction signage in the ones of Fort Pitt Boulevard and the Fort Pitt Bridge, this was during the time of the Parkway East rehab.

The shots from Penn Station across to the North Side show the preliminary grading for the North Shore Expressway.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on February 13, 2011, 09:26:13 PM
The shots from Penn Station across to the North Side show the preliminary grading for the North Shore Expressway.

And you can see Veterans Bridge and some of I-579 under construction as well in some of the Penn Station shots. :thumbsup:

LeftyJR

Its so nice to see streets that aren't overcrowded by big trucks and SUVs!

Mr_Northside

I knew part of the Smithfield St. Bridge was split between cars & trolleys in the past... but I didn't realize it was still that way as recently as 1985.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

It remained split like that for a decade following the start of LRT service.  Bruce Cridlebaugh mentions on his site that the rehabilitation project, which included removing the tracks, took place between 1994 and 1995.

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 12, 2011, 09:35:38 PM

There are plenty within downtown Pittsburgh - there are a few in Oakland - on 2nd ave. - the Blvd. of the Allies - all over the place. 376 state shields aren't "that" rare.  Heck, the 376 shield that replaced the I-76 shield in the early 70s is still there.

agentsteel53

good to know!  I've been through Pittsburgh but have never really paid attention to the '70 spec shields.  as far as I know, there are no '57 or '61 spec shields left in that city.  Are there?

the only three old-style interstate shields in PA I know of are that 76/276 pair near the shopping mall, and the 83 on the half-torn-down bridge.

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Jake,

I doubt it, but I've never paid that close attention to what specifications they were made to.

agentsteel53

big numbers vs. small is usually the main determinant.

though the 76 shield in the photo that was replaced with a 376 happens to be '70 spec with small numbers.  the margins are narrow and the crown is shorter, making more room for larger numbers - so with the small numbers the shield looks extra goofy.

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

The named Interstate shields I have seen have large numbers.

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 17, 2011, 12:05:21 PM
big numbers vs. small is usually the main determinant.

though the 76 shield in the photo that was replaced with a 376 happens to be '70 spec with small numbers.  the margins are narrow and the crown is shorter, making more room for larger numbers - so with the small numbers the shield looks extra goofy.

Oh i know...just I never really paid much attention to the specific specs/years vs. hey, that's obviously a pretty old sign.

rickmastfan67

Anybody else notice the old US-30 cutout in 19851490-0016.jpg? :thumbsup:

agentsteel53

where?  I just see what looks like a standard black square.

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 17, 2011, 07:51:58 PM
where?  I just see what looks like a standard black square.

X-(  Guess you're right.  I just looked at it again and zoomed in on it and I now see the black background.

CanesFan27

What caught my eye was all of the things that aren't there any more or weren't there then. 

Gimbels, no 5th Ave. Place, how unattractive the Smithfield St. Bridge was, the rehabilitation and the additional lanes over the former trolley tracks was a big deal.

The old all block black on white City of Pittsburgh DPW street sign blades, the first and second car signs for the trolleys.  all that is needed is an old signal with a red-yellow or yellow-green phase!

formulanone

I'm not even from nor visited Pittsburgh, but those photos were in short: totally bleeping awesome.

Since 1985 was when I first took a shine to automobiles, it was neat seeing all those 80's cars once more in full force.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.