News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania Road Trip / Abandoned Turnpike

Started by deathtopumpkins, February 27, 2011, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

So I'll be driving up to State College, PA overnight March 31st, and driving home on April 2nd, and on the return trip I would like to stop at and explore the abandoned turnpike since I'll be driving through Breezewood. Any suggestions on where is the best place to park, and what I should do? I'll be parking and walking.

Also, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on my intended route, i.e. road closures, places to avoid, etc.:
http://goo.gl/maps/zjNb
The northbound route is Google's suggested fastest because I will be driving it in a hurry in the middle of the night, but the southbound route I chose so as to clinch I-99 (I will drive the northern end of it while up there) and go through Breezewood.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

The two times I've been up there to bike the abandoned turnpike, I've parked here.  It's a small parking area on US 30 just east of the "Breezewood sprawl".  It's about a mile-and-a-half to the western (Ray's Hill) tunnel.

I've also used this parking area, along a gravel road best accessed off PA 915.  It's between the two tunnels, but closer to the Sideling Hill Tunnel...just over a mile.  This is also the closest you can reasonably park to the Sideling Hill Tunnel.

You're allowed as far east as Pump Station Rd.  I don't recall there being much in the way of parking here, but it's the road closest to the abandoned travel plaza along the old turnpike.

If you plan on walking through the tunnels, ESPECIALLY the Sideling Hill tunnel, I highly recommend bringing a good flashlight.  Also bring a light jacket or sweatshirt, because it can get chilly inside the tunnels, even if it's in the 70s outside.

deathtopumpkins

Thanks a bunch for the info!

I'll probably end up parking at the first one on US 30 and walk a bit down the abandoned turnpike. I probably won't go very far though, as I will unfortunately not have my bike with me, and my mother is also coming, and she can't walk very far, so I will probably turn around at the Rays Hill Tunnel.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

PAHighways

If you want to get closer to the tunnels, Oregon Road parallels the abandoned Turnpike.  There is hardly any traffic, so you can pull off the side and walk up to the alignment.

Alps

If you look at the Pump Station Rd. aerial, you'll see a little boxed in area on the Turnpike. That's parking accessible from the road. Not too far from there to the eastern tunnel.

deathtopumpkins

And it looks like that's what I'll be doing. Thanks.

froggie

The areas along Oregon Rd mentioned earlier by both me and Mr. Kitsko are closer to the Sideling Hill Tunnel, but the Pump Station Rd location has the advantage of having the abandoned travel plaza along the way.

PAHighways

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 27, 2011, 01:25:22 PMAlso, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on my intended route, i.e. road closures, places to avoid, etc.:  http://goo.gl/maps/zjNb

Watch your speed on 30 between Bedford and Everett as there is ridiculously low 45 MPH zone between the Bedford Square shopping plaza and the beginning of the Bud Shuster Byway (Everett Bypass).  The State Police will sometimes run radar from the on-ramps at Pennknoll Road or Lutzville Road.

JohnnyO

Quote from: froggie on February 27, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
The two times I've been up there to bike the abandoned turnpike, I've parked here.  It's a small parking area on US 30 just east of the "Breezewood sprawl".  It's about a mile-and-a-half to the western (Ray's Hill) tunnel.

I parked there back in July 2001. Well, I didn't park for long. I actually drove my Honda Accord down as small embankment (at the southern tip of the lot), onto the old PA turnpike. From there it was easy going down the old roadbed. I drove through both tunnels and back again. I went back in 2003, and that was not possible any longer, there was a barricade on the road, with only a small opening for bikes, and people.

You can also check out the other end of the abandoned Tunrpike. As you travel EB on 76 past the Sideling Hill Service area, slow up a little , and look for a large pull off area on the right. If you pull off right there, then you will find it; the spot where the other end (the eastern end) of the abandoned roadway meets the Turnpike.

PAHighways

It was still possible to drive onto the alignment back in October 2004 when I held the Breezewood Meet.

A few years back, the bridge across 30 was demolished and where the northern approach had been was excavated and a small parking area built.  There is a small trail up to the Turnpike from that location.

deathtopumpkins

Got home today - apart from 4 inches of snow on the ground in Breezewood and west (plus several spontaneous blizzards, dense fog, and other hassles) the trip went off without a hitch. I parked off Pump Station Road (oh - I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that this road is not paved on here) and hiked the eastern end of the turnpike, and the weather cleared up for a few minutes (apart from some hail on my way back to my car).

All photos from the trip can be viewed here: http://deathtopumpkins.imgur.com/paroadtrip

If you're interested in using them (such as to update your own site's page on the abandoned turnpike), PM me.

The photos are in reverse order and include, starting from the bottom, the new electric vehicle charging stations at the New Kent County Rest Area on I-64, two scenes looking from I-99 southbound near Altoona, PA, the abandoned turnpike, a bridge on Pump Station Road that intrigued me, two views from US 30 westbound approaching Breezewood (though neither came out as good as I intended), cutout US route shields in Winchester, VA, and a 1700s church along US 17 east of US 301 in Virginia.

Overall I think this was my favorite road trip ever - I really enjoyed it. Pennsylvania is a great state with tons of gorgeous scenery. And for this I even respect I-99 (which I clinched today) now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.