News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania State Highway Exit #'s

Started by rickmastfan67, February 15, 2011, 01:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 13, 2011, 11:59:29 PM
At this point, the sequential-numbering states are New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.  Delaware's got a mixture of systems (even kilometers on Del. 1)  When I started paying attention to this stuff 30 years ago, it was also true of Maine, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi.  Also some major toll roads like the Ohio Turnpike.

Pennsylvania still has sequential exit numbers on PA-28.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 15, 2011, 01:59:04 AM
At this point, the sequential-numbering states are New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.  Delaware's got a mixture of systems (even kilometers on Del. 1)  When I started paying attention to this stuff 30 years ago, it was also true of Maine, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi.  Also some major toll roads like the Ohio Turnpike.

How about the freeway part of Pa. 378 in Bethlehem?  When my brother was going to Lehigh (in the days when the entire state was sequential, except for 95, which had no exit numbers at all), they were sequential southbound from US 22.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 15, 2011, 01:44:39 PM

How about the freeway part of Pa. 378 in Bethlehem?  When my brother was going to Lehigh (in the days when the entire state was sequential, except for 95, which had no exit numbers at all), they were sequential southbound from US 22.

I think it still does, but it's on the other side of the state from me.

Alps

There's one per mile there, so it doesn't count. I don't think any of the state route freeways have mileage based numbers unless it's something like Turnpike 576, which only half counts.

PAHighways

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 15, 2011, 10:28:03 PM

There's one per mile there, so it doesn't count. I don't think any of the state route freeways have mileage based numbers unless it's something like Turnpike 576, which only half counts.

All toll roads went to mileage-based no matter the shield.

PA 28, PA 29 (South Cross Valley Expressway), PA 309 (Crossvalley Expressway), PA 378, and PA 581 are still sequential.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PAHighways on February 17, 2011, 02:04:17 PM
PA 28, PA 29 (South Cross Valley Expressway), PA 309 (Crossvalley Expressway), PA 378, and PA 581 are still sequential.

Which I've personally always thought was incredibly stupid.  If you're gonna go mileage-based, do it across the board for consistency.

Though closer to the city (Pittsburgh), the exits on PA-28 are spaced in such a way that the exit number either matches anyway or is one off.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

Ditto for PA 581.  I never even knew it was sequential.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on February 17, 2011, 02:04:17 PM

And according to PennDOT, it will stay that way.......

I asked the @PennDOTNews on Twitter if there were any plans on converting PA-28 to mileage based exits and got a responce back:
Quote@rickmastfan67 No, there aren't. Mileage based exit numbering is only applicable on #Interstates.

vdeane

What difference does it make if the road is an interstate or not?  PA switched well before the mandate, and even then, it applies to ALL roads, not just interstates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Second what deanej said. PennDOT's gonna be hearing from FHWA in a few years.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 24, 2011, 07:09:36 PM
Second what deanej said. PennDOT's gonna be hearing from FHWA in a few years.

Where does it say it specificly by the FHWA?  I want to send PennDOT a tweet back. :evilgrin:

Nevermind, just found the info in the 2009 MUTCD.

And now owned. :evilgrin:

PAHighways

Quote from: deanej on February 24, 2011, 09:14:37 AMWhat difference does it make if the road is an interstate or not?  PA switched well before the mandate, and even then, it applies to ALL roads, not just interstates.

Probably because Interstates and toll roads are one, continuous limited-access roadway and US and PA routes are not.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be exit numbers (mileage-based or sequential-based) on routes that are not entirely limited-access.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on February 24, 2011, 11:15:04 PM
In my opinion, there shouldn't be exit numbers (mileage-based or sequential-based) on routes that are not entirely limited-access.

I disagree.  TN 155 (both primary and secondary) form a loop around Nashville.  The Briley Parkway section is 90% limited access except for a section between Murfreesboro Road and I-40.  However, at least according to some signs, TN 155 continues as a secondary roadway over surface arterials.  (White Bridge Rd, Woodmont Blvd. and Thompson Lane from west to east).  The signing of the exit numbers on the limited access section seems entirely appropriate with me.

And, doesn't the Garden State Parkway use exit numbers for some of its surface intersections in Cape May County?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Sykotyk

If a road has mileposts, mileage-based exit numbers (even for that rare interchange in a sea of intersections) is nice as it gives confirmation of how far it is until that interchange. IA163, Avenue of the Saints, etc do that. Very nice. I think US34 does that on its on as well before the IA163 came through.

I just wish RM maps would mark the exit numbers. A lot of roads with exits that have exit numbers (even sequential) don't get marked.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on February 25, 2011, 12:01:03 AMI disagree.  TN 155 (both primary and secondary) form a loop around Nashville.  The Briley Parkway section is 90% limited access except for a section between Murfreesboro Road and I-40.  However, at least according to some signs, TN 155 continues as a secondary roadway over surface arterials.  (White Bridge Rd, Woodmont Blvd. and Thompson Lane from west to east).  The signing of the exit numbers on the limited access section seems entirely appropriate with me.

It's one thing when you have a relatively short route, but another when it is something like US 6 and there is a break between "EXIT 90" in Warren and "EXIT 334" near Scranton.

jemacedo9

What i never understood is that MOST of the all non-interstate freeways in PA, are not exit-numbered...none of the ones in SE PA are, and even US 219 and US 22 Ebensburg-Altoona don't, for example.  Is that a PennDOT District choice?

PAHighways

It seems to be a choice at the District level.  Districts 4, 5, 8, 10, and 11 are the only ones with exit numbers on non-Interstate free expressways.  
Even in those, the choice is on a route-to-route basis.  For example in District 11, PA 28 has and PA 60 had exit numbers, but PA 65, Business Loop 376, and even I-579 do not have exit numbers.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jemacedo9 on February 25, 2011, 08:08:06 PM
What i never understood is that MOST of the all non-interstate freeways in PA, are not exit-numbered...none of the ones in SE PA are, and even US 219 and US 22 Ebensburg-Altoona don't, for example.  Is that a PennDOT District choice?

Once (if) US 219 is upgraded in Somerset County from the state line, I think it would be nice to see mileposts & exit numbers on the freeway...
With the near-completion of all the 4-laning of US 22 in Westmoreland Co., PennDOT could do something un-PennDOT and put mileposts up from the state line to Altoona (except where I 376 supersedes it), and exit numbers for exits.  It would be different (for PA).
THOUGH... I actually do think they should "exit #" the section from WV to I-376.

I also suppose, since it's a freeway section heading north from the MD state line, the US 15 bypass of Gettysburg could get some too...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Michael

Quote from: mightyace on February 25, 2011, 12:01:03 AM
And, doesn't the Garden State Parkway use exit numbers for some of its surface intersections in Cape May County?

NY 17's remaining at-grade intersections (along relatively short expressway portions) have exit numbers.  I'm guessing it's for continuity.  I must say that it was weird to see this "exit" for the first time in person:

Credit: Wikipedia

vdeane

Exit 98 is the only one signed like that, but some of the others (such as Hale Eddy, exit 85) have exit numbers internally.  Most don't have exit numbers at all (such as the ones in Chemung County).

roadman65

I think that the Adarondack Northway should continue the Thruway's sequential scheme like in PA where I-76 continued with Exit 25 on the Shuykill Expressway after leaving the PA Turnpike.  Even with milepost based it still continues and does not start fresh. The Northway's first exit should also start with 25 and keep it going until hell freezes when NY will finally change their exit numbers to milepost based!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jemacedo9

PA in the last few years has started putting mileposts on some of the non-Interstate freeways, and those mileposts seem to reflect state mileage.  US 22/322 in Dauphin County's mileposts are in the 190s, same with US 422 in SE PA in the 170s and 180s.  US 220 in Clinton County just had mileage-based exit numbers, but I haven't tried to determine if they are US 220 miles or future I-99 miles. 

PAHighways

Those exit numbers follow I-99's mileage.

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2011, 10:09:17 PM
I think that the Adarondack Northway should continue the Thruway's sequential scheme like in PA where I-76 continued with Exit 25 on the Shuykill Expressway after leaving the PA Turnpike.  Even with milepost based it still continues and does not start fresh. The Northway's first exit should also start with 25 and keep it going until hell freezes when NY will finally change their exit numbers to milepost based!

This topic belongs in Fictional Highways. Please post it there if you're still interested.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.