News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The History of NY/NJ Route 94

Started by papaT10932, July 24, 2011, 11:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

Two things strike me about NY/NJ Route 94 that suggest to me that this is a VERY old route.
First, it links two major and important rivers, The Hudson River at the East end in Newburgh and The Delaware River at the South end at the Delaware Water Gap. This sounds too strategic a location to be a coincidence.

Second, it seems to avoid all steep hills. In the town of Vernon, NJ, in particular, Route 94 makes two very sharp turns to avoid ascending steep hills. In contrast, other highways in the area (routes 23, 17A, 515, 517, etc.) all ascend and descend steep mountainsides.

The only hard information I have collected says that Route 94 was designated a turnpike in the 1730's. There are historical markers along Route 94 that say this route was used during the Revolutionary War by George Washington himself. But, I'm under the impression that when Washington and his army traveled it, the road may have already been well over 100 years old.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know the history of Route 94? Does it go back to Dutch times? Does it go back even further as an Indian trail? And how does it compare with the age of other roads in the Northeast?  :hmmm:

Jerseyman4

Despite the route following the best topographic route, NJ 94 was annoying to drive (NY 94 was much better). I couldn't quite understand how hard it was for people to ever drive near the posted speed limit (40,45,50mph). It was my last NJ State Route to clinch in the entire state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.