News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 15 improvements in Lewisburg and Shamokin Dam possibly gaining traction

Started by LeftyJR, August 11, 2011, 06:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeftyJR

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/567137/Route-15--missing-link--in-Shamokin-Dam-may-be-solved.html?nav=5008

AGAIN!

I have traveled this route many times and it can be extremely frustrating to navigate this small 8 mile stretch of road.  Let's see where this goes...

vdeane

Ironically I was just thinking about this earlier this week.

Contrary to the article, Shamokin Dam isn't the only area of US 15 that isn't an efficient north-south carrier of motorists, but it is the biggest section that isn't bypassed by I-180, PA 147, or US 22, PA 581, and I-81.  Dillsburg is the other major one I can think of.  And the US 15/PA 581 interchange (still; they need to get rid of those traffic lights).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LeftyJR

Yeah, Dillsburg can be pretty bad as well, but Shamonkin Dam and Lewisburg are much worse IMO.  It can take 25 minutes through each of those towns on a bad day or rush hour.

One thing I can't understand either is why I-180 was extended east of Montoursville.  It just seems to make more sense to upgrade US-15 south of Williamsport...most people use 15 instead of 180 anyways it seems to me.

PAHighways

It seems finishing US route projects was the talking point of that day as not only was finishing this section, but also finishing 219 in Somerset County was mentioned.

Michael

They forgot to mention I-81 as a north-south corridor.  Someone caught that in the comments.  When I was last down there (in August 2008) there were temporary wooden signs (like ones in a construction zone) along I-180 for "ALTERNATE US 15".  I have to agree with LeftyJR about Lewisburg.  I remember it really congested near Bucknell University. I will say that all the congestion is worth it if you're going to Country Cupboard, though.

NE2

Quote from: Michael on August 18, 2011, 07:48:43 PM
They forgot to mention I-81 as a north-south corridor.  Someone caught that in the comments.
That's more diagonal except north of Scranton (where the Northeast Extension continues south).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LeftyJR

Quote from: Michael on August 18, 2011, 07:48:43 PM
They forgot to mention I-81 as a north-south corridor.  Someone caught that in the comments.  When I was last down there (in August 2008) there were temporary wooden signs (like ones in a construction zone) along I-180 for "ALTERNATE US 15".  I have to agree with LeftyJR about Lewisburg.  I remember it really congested near Bucknell University. I will say that all the congestion is worth it if you're going to Country Cupboard, though.

...or for Elizabeth's in Downtown Lewisburg - a phenomenal place.

I still don't see why PennDOT would want to upgrade US 219 in Somerset.  Why not make US 220 four lanes from Maryland to Bedford and complete the route?

Mr_Northside

Quote from: LeftyJR on August 19, 2011, 12:17:37 PM
I still don't see why PennDOT would want to upgrade US 219 in Somerset.  Why not make US 220 four lanes from Maryland to Bedford and complete the route?

On a more "local" level, current US 219 is in far more need of an upgrade than current US 220 south of Bedford.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Quote from: LeftyJR on August 19, 2011, 12:17:37 PMI still don't see why PennDOT would want to upgrade US 219 in Somerset.  Why not make US 220 four lanes from Maryland to Bedford and complete the route?

US 220 is basically a straight shot from Cumberland to Bedford, but US 219 zig-zags through Somerset County which is detrimental to being a good trucking corridor.

hbelkins

I've driven both 219 and 220 from the Turnpike to I-68. 220 is a pretty easy drive, fairly straight and level. 219, not so much.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LeftyJR

Quote from: PAHighways on August 18, 2011, 04:02:44 PM
It seems finishing US route projects was the talking point of that day as not only was finishing this section, but also finishing 219 in Somerset County was mentioned.

What are the odds of seeing any work on US 15 in the next 3-5 years?

PAHighways

Quote from: LeftyJR on August 20, 2011, 07:26:22 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on August 18, 2011, 04:02:44 PM

What are the odds of seeing any work on US 15 in the next 3-5 years?

I would say there is a 50/50 chance.  While it is being talked up now, it was talked up back around 2000 then the idea faded.

froggie

QuoteOne thing I can't understand either is why I-180 was extended east of Montoursville.  It just seems to make more sense to upgrade US-15 south of Williamsport...most people use 15 instead of 180 anyways it seems to me.

Probably because following the existing I-180 route didn't involve A) another messy interchange in the middle of Williamsport (where 180 and 15 cross, right-of-way is a bit tight), and B) another crossing of the Susquehanna.

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on August 22, 2011, 10:26:43 AM
QuoteOne thing I can't understand either is why I-180 was extended east of Montoursville.  It just seems to make more sense to upgrade US-15 south of Williamsport...most people use 15 instead of 180 anyways it seems to me.

Probably because following the existing I-180 route didn't involve A) another messy interchange in the middle of Williamsport (where 180 and 15 cross, right-of-way is a bit tight), and B) another crossing of the Susquehanna.

The focus too at the time was upgrading US 220 to an expressway, just as further south in Clinton County, and PA 147 was being built north from 80 to join 220.

treichard

The Daily Item in Sunbury is a good local newspaper for keeping up to date with this freeway project.

Shale boom compels Thruway - 7/29/2011
Business leader: Corbett must honor Rendell's $51M vow
http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x1452094953/Shale-boom-compels-Thruway

QuoteA move last year by former U.S. Rep. Chris Carney, a Dimock Democrat, put the Thruway project on a list with the Appalachian Regional Commission by transferring 12.5 miles from the Appalachian Development Highway System's Philipsburg area corridor to the Thruway project. That designation guarantees 80 percent federal funding, but requires a 20 percent state match that can be accomplished only by removing a funding cap enforced by previous congressional action, and then an amendment of federal legislation that would allow toll credits to be used as the matching contribution for Appalachian-funded projects.

Those two issues resolved, "and this project gets built,"  said Joe McGranaghan, Shamokin Dam mayor and chairman of the Susquehanna Valley Chamber of Commerce's Transportation Project Task Force.

Josh Funk, a representative from the office of state Sen. John Gordner, R-27, of Berwick, said $300 million to $400 million has already been allocated to the project.

"We got the design,"  he said. "We need that cap lifted now. There's broad support out there to lift the toll credit restriction, and the money is there."

Marino has co-sponsored a bill introduced by U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-9, of Hollidaysburg, that would allow the use of highway toll revenues as credit toward the state matching share. He has also discussed the issue of lifting the project funding cap with U.S. Rep. John Mica, of Florida, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.