News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Flashing Left Turn Signals

Started by MASTERNC, August 28, 2011, 09:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

I had been under the impression that PennDOT does not permit left turn signals to flash when signals are in flash mode (i.e. the thru signals flash but the turn signals do not).  However, a light that had been out of service today after Hurricane Irene was hooked up to a generator and went into flash mode.  The thru signals on the main road flashed yellow but the left turn signals were actually flashing red.  Was I wrong about PennDOT's policy or is it possible it has changed recently?

Ace10

Just curious, but what would the left turn signals do in this situation, according to PennDOT? Out of all the signals I've seen that are "permanently" set to flash mode, if there is a left turn signal on a direction with flashing yellow thru lanes, the arrow is flashing red (requiring a stop). These are in Florida, by the way.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Ace10 on August 29, 2011, 01:21:48 AM
Just curious, but what would the left turn signals do in this situation, according to PennDOT? Out of all the signals I've seen that are "permanently" set to flash mode, if there is a left turn signal on a direction with flashing yellow thru lanes, the arrow is flashing red (requiring a stop). These are in Florida, by the way.

In the past, the left turn signals were blank (no lights flashed).

PAHighways

I could not find anything about the protocol for flashing turn signals having been changed.  The last installation I saw with turn signals that was in flash mode, the turn signal was out.

Sometimes, one signal installation will just be wired differently than others and permit things like this to happen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.