News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey's I-78/I-287 Interchange

Started by akotchi, September 20, 2011, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akotchi

Looking for some history of this interchange . . .

The interchange has a "ghost" ramp, a loop from I-78 EB to I-287 NB in the southeast quadrant of the interchange.  This ramp is a redundant move for a multi-lane ramp that exits I-78 as part of a common ramp and enters I-287 from the left side.

I seem to recall that a construction project to rehabilitate one of the interchange bridges (on or over the "main" ramp) required this ramp to be put into service long-term to serve the movement.

This "ghost" ramp has been in place, almost exclusively unused, at least since 1990.  Does anyone have any background on this -- circumstances behind ramp construction, when, what is it used for now, etc?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=bridgewater+nj&hl=en&ll=40.641507,-74.644547&spn=0.011609,0.019205&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.223579,78.662109&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I thought we determined it was in fact out there just as a temporary loop ramp for rehab, then shut down again... not sure why it wasn't torn up again, but could have been the days before that became policy.

1995hoo

Ramps like that are sometimes useful places for transportation departments to store things. Looking at the satellite image, it appears that one might be used for that sort of purpose.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

akotchi

Quote from: Steve on September 20, 2011, 06:32:14 PM
I thought we determined it was in fact out there just as a temporary loop ramp for rehab, then shut down again... not sure why it wasn't torn up again, but could have been the days before that became policy.
My original statement regarding use as a temporary ramp was part-conjecture, part cloudy recollection of a conversation long ago.  I am looking for someone to confirm this, provide specifics and/or fill in the gaps.  Whatever happened predates my knowledge of the area.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

NJRoadfan

It could possibly see use again as NJDOT wants to move that flyover to the other side of I-287 to eliminate weaving for traffic wishing to exit at US-202/206 just north of there.

roadman65

It was used in the late 80's as a temporary ramp while the bridges in that particular interchange were being refurbished.  When the bridges on the EB to NB ramp (over the NB to WB Ramp and I-287 SB Lanes) were being worked on, EB to NB traffic used this ramp.  When completed the ramp was shut down, but never removed.  Later when light poles were added to this interchange, for some reason the contractor erected poles along this unused and abandoned ramp.  Do not know why, unless NJDOT plans to use this ramp again someday.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

What's strange is that normally, on seeing a configuration like that, you'd assume that the loop ramp was there first, and was later replaced with the current flyover. I'm surprised to see that it was the other way around!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.