News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Closest stretches of road you have NOT clinched

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 28, 2016, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

OK, closest stretch not visited (instead of never visited any or not clinched completely):

Interstate: I-5 between I-205 and I-580 (75 mi away). Could be true for much of Bay Area; that section of the 5 is for completionists only
US: US 101 north of Willits, CA (179 mi)
State: CA 35 between CA 84 and CA 92 (20 mi) - Skyline Blvd, a scenic route less than 1 hour away, and I've never been there. I'll turn in my roadgeek card now
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

oscar

Interstate: I-169 in south Texas. Before two weekends ago, it was the newest segment of I-22 north of Birmingham AL.
US: US 158 in NC, between I-95 and I-85, about 200 miles from home.
State route: Probably VA 230 southwest of Culpeper, about 80 miles from home.

Like 1995hoo, in the last category I'm ignoring Virginia secondary state routes. There are none in my home county of Arlington (which has a deal with VDOT to maintain its own roads not in the I-/US-/VA primary systems), but I'm sure I could find some I haven't driven on the other side of the Fairfax County line less than five miles away.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

At one point you wouldn't have had an answer for Interstate IIRC.

I myself struck off the second-closest first-order regional road I had never been on (A-129 East of Alcubierre) a few weeks ago (Still missing the part from Lanaja to A-1213, Google Maps is wrong). If my plans for November come through, I'll change the answers for both national and first-order regional.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Buck87

I-480 (OH) between I-271 & I-80 (80 miles away)
US 23 between Fostoria, OH and US 20 (40 miles away)
OH 590 from Bettsville OH to US 6 (30 miles away)

wxfree

All non-Interstate references are in Texas

FM 927 east of FM 56, about 25 miles (I have a feeling I'll be correcting this pretty soon.)
FM 1493, about 30 miles
Spur 580 west of I-820, about 25 miles
US 377 east of I-35W, about 30 miles
SH 10, about 35 miles
President George Bush Turnpike east of Dallas North Tollway (non-state toll road category), about 55 miles
I-45 east of SH 14, about 65 miles

Anti-clinches, using pianocello's idea

Nearest FM I've never traveled any part of: FM 1493, about 30 miles
Spur 347, about 30 miles (it isn't accessible from the south; I use Spur 280 to get to downtown Fort Worth)
SH 10, about 35 miles
Manor Expressway, about 140 miles
US 96, about 180 miles
I-49, about 210 miles
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 28, 2016, 03:19:25 PM
I was going to say I-15 until I realized that I never have taken I-210 from I-5 for whatever reason.  CA 166 is just a "meh" highway for the most part and I haven't really had a ton of interest.  The only part of US 395 I haven't been on is north of Spokane.

Once you get out of the Central Valley, it's quite gorgeous, especially in the spring when the hills are painted with Monolopia. Worth clinching.

pderocco

US-93 where it heads north from I-15, 260 miles away
I-710 in East Los Angeles, 21 miles away
CA-47 in Compton, 22 miles away

I've clinched 142 of the roughly 243 state/US/interstate routes in CA, but I mostly seek out rural routes while photographing wildflowers and scenery. So there are quite a few stretches in the Los Angeles area I haven't bothered with, because I know they're gonna be just as ugly as the parts I have been on.

CNGL-Leudimin

Update:
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 28, 2016, 06:14:24 PMRegional road (first order): A-125 West of Ardisa.

Regional road (first order): A-129 between Lanaja and A-1213 (correct in OpenStreetMap).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Gnutella

For me, the closest Interstate that I haven't clinched is I-385 in South Carolina, and the closest U.S. highway I haven't clinched is U.S. 76 in Georgia.

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on October 14, 2016, 05:55:08 PM
From Broward Co FL:

Two stretches of FL 817, between Opa Locka and Pines Blvd, and another from Broward Blvd to the Sawgrass.  There are some other routes in Metro Broward and Miami-Dade that I'm missing but I don't really enjoy driving in urban traffic, particularly down here.  I'll wake up early one morning and pick 'em off then.

I'd clinched all those SR 8xx/9xx roads vaguely 20 years ago in Palm Beach, Broward, Martin, Hendry, much of Miami-Dade. (Still a few more to go in Dade.) But looking back, it was usually on the weekends or at night, so nothing's changed! University Drive is stoplight hell, except in Parkland, it's stop sign heck.

I still need the part of I-59 from AL 68 to I-24, but it would take me a bit out of the way doing so. After that, the newest part of I-840.

I'd have to look it up, but AL 20 northwest of US 43 and US 72 would probably be closest; I haven't traveled north of that point in US 43, either.  Maybe AL 75 northeast of Guntersville.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 28, 2016, 01:52:29 PM
From your current residence, what is the closest stretch of road you have NOT clinched in each of the following categories:

Interstate Highway
US Highway
State highway

For me:
Interstate: I-69 between I-64 and IN 68, 98 miles away
US Highway: US 421 between IN 56 and IN 62, 45 miles away
State Highway: KY 2054 between Alt US 60 and KY 1931, 15 miles away

I have moved (and clinched more highways) since I started this topic so here's my update:

Interstate: I-74 between Normal and Peoria, 127 miles away
US Highway: US 52 between IL 47 and IL 71, 56 miles away
State Highway: IL 47 between I-80 and US 52, 54 miles away
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

I believe I started a similar thread, asking about the nearest freeway segment you had never driven. But this is a fun one.
State route is tough because the network is so much more extensive, and they're often used for local trips and not as memorable. I think I got it, but subject to confirmation later.

State Route: NY 383 south of NY 252/RIT, ~15 miles away
US Route: US 20 between I-390 and Bloomfield, ~22 miles away
Interstate: I-86 between NY 36 and I-390, 76 miles away

noelbotevera

Update, since this thread's been updated:

Interstate: I-795; never traveled; 54 miles away (crow flies)
US: US 522 south of the Potomac River; 29-30 miles away
State Route: PA 416 south of US 30; 6 miles away (I have no reason to use this road, there's faster routes to Mercersburg from my house)
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Flint1979

Interstate it's now I-69.

US highway it's US-10. I have Michigan's section clinched but not much else.

State highway it's M-55.

Eth

Since it's been 3-4 years since my last post here, my updates:

Interstate: I-59 south of Fort Payne, AL (95 miles away, straight-line distance) (unchanged)
US: US 29 between South Fulton Pkwy and GA 92 near Union City (17 miles away) US 41 at the beginning of the GA 92 concurrency in Acworth (30 miles away)
State: GA 6 inside I-285 (13 miles away) GA 120 west of downtown Marietta (19 miles)

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2016, 09:58:27 AM
I'll add more categories:

Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: Not sure, since I don't keep track at that level of detail, but my best guess would be part of northbound I-985 near Gainesville (~40 miles away). Now that I've definitely covered that, I really don't know. Probably northbound I-59 somewhere between Chattanooga and Fort Payne.

Closest exit: I don't think I've ever had occasion to use exit 40 on I-285 (3 miles away). If it's not that, it's I-20's exit 66 (~5 miles). (unchanged)

Closest freeway of any type: The freeway portion of Sugarloaf Pkwy in Lawrenceville (21 miles). Closest state-maintained would be the southwest part of the Athens perimeter (49 miles).

Closest town not set foot in: Clarkston (~3 miles) Pine Lake (5 miles)

Closest town never in at all: Pine Lake (5 miles) (unchanged)

Closest 3di: I-124, if it still exists (105 miles). Otherwise I-385 (133 miles), just barely beating out I-459 (136 miles). (unchanged)

Closest numbered state border crossing: A rough tie between US 78's and GA 166's crossings into Alabama (both 61 miles). (unchanged)

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: I-124 or I-385 (see above) (unchanged)

Closest US route I have traveled none of: US 378 (91 miles) (unchanged)

Closes state route I have traveled none of: GA 3 Connector in Marietta (17 miles). Closest mainline route is GA 360 (19 miles). (checking mainline routes only) GA 293 (35 miles)

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
I'll add some new ones of my own.

Closest 2di I have never been on at all: I-22 (146 miles) (unchanged)

Closest 3di I have never been on at all: see above (unchanged)

Interstates in my home state I have never been on at all: None. (unchanged)

Interstates in my home state I have yet to clinch in said state: None. In my previous home state, Maryland, I'm missing just the half-mile or so of I-70 between I-68 and the Pennsylvania line. (unchanged)

Unclinched mainline US route in my home state I am closest to clinching in said state: By raw mileage, it's actually US 378 - I haven't been on it at all, but Georgia's segment is only a little over 20 miles. By percentage, probably US 78 (clinched from Temple to Lexington). US 19 (missing the part north of the Appalachian Trail except for the part that's also US 76, which beats US 378 by about a quarter-mile per TM)

dlsterner

Interesting question ... I'll bite.

Note that these were determined by "eyeballing" maps - possible that I may have missed something closer.

For reference I live in central Maryland, inside the triangle formed by Baltimore, Annapolis, and Washington.

Interstate:  I-76 through Philadelphia (airport and north).  Never had a reason to go there.
US Highway:  A piece of US 1 in Baltimore.  Not in a really good neighborhood; avoided for that reason.
State Highway:  MD 206 near Laurel MD.  A new road, it was only recently designated MD 206 in 2014.

CoreySamson

State: probably TX-6 near Santa Fe
US: either US 59 near Sugar Land or US 90 Alt near Stafford
Interstate: Same as US answer: US 59/I-69 near Sugar Land
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ftballfan

Interstate: I-75 between M-55 (west) and US-127 (as the crow flies, I-43 south of Manitowoc is much closer)
US Highway: US-127 between US-10 and M-55 (as the crow flies, US-10 and US-151 west of Manitowoc are closer)
State: M-72 in southern Leelanau County, followed by M-66 between M-42 and M-72

Hot Rod Hootenanny

State road - Ohio 61
Federal road - US 42
Interstate - I-80
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

formulanone

State Road: bits of AL 75 northeast of AL 227
US Route: US 11 north of Fort Payne near I-59
Interstate: I-269 in Mississippi

CNGL-Leudimin

For me, Interstate, US Route and State Route, as well as freeway overall, remain the same.

National highway: N-230 Northeast of Alcampell (the only section of National road in my province I haven't done yet)
Regional road (1st order): A-137
Regional road (2nd order): A-1202 West of Santa Eulalia de Gallego
Regional road (3rd order): A-2208

Now I realized I didn't include the 3rd order in my first post. At the time it was near-absolute, as it was also the closest road of that kind to me (A-2203), which I had mostly missing. I've since driven that.

1995hoo

Since this old thread got resurrected, I'll update my response to account for travels in the past few years.

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
I like the new categories some of you have introduced. Tough stuff to figure out! I'll add some new ones of my own.

Closest 2di I have never been on at all: I'm pretty sure it's I-88 based on measuring distances with Google Maps. I-71 is further away from home. I would debate whether to count I-99. I've never been on there since it was numbered as an Interstate, but I was on the same road several times in the pre-Interstate era. I also find its number odious, but at the same time, it does have an Interstate number.   I-89

Closest 3di I have never been on at all: Already mentioned, I-795 in Maryland.

Interstates in my home state I have never been on at all: I-464 and I-564 near Norfolk and I-381 in Bristol.

Interstates in my home state I have yet to clinch in said state: The aforementioned three plus I-64 (need the westernmost 27 miles), I-77 (need the segment north of I-81), and I-195 (I have just over 1.4 miles left and will knock off most, but probably not all, of it on our Christmas trip down to Meadows of Dan) (missing about 0.7 of a mile where the road branches off to head towards downtown and VA-195).

Unclinched mainline US route in my home state I am closest to clinching in said state: Bizarrely, US-13 at 86%. I've only been up Virginia's Eastern Shore one time, back during high school, but I knocked off most of the Virginia portion of said route on that trip. US-17 is a close second at 82%. The Norfolk area is what will almost certainly keep me from getting 100% of the Virginia mileage on those two routes.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Gabriel Road and Riverside Blvd.

This is a dead end street that turns into a dirt road before it ends and there are about 7 houses on the Tittabawassee River that are only on the river side of the street.

There is a private property sign just after the entrance to Green Point Nature Center and that's as far as I've ever gone down that street. It bends to the right and I've never gone around that bend.

GSV goes up as far as I've been back there too so the GSV van has done the same thing as me there. You can see the houses on satellite view along the river.

One was for sale one time and I went and looked at the Zillow profile for the house. It didn't look like anything special and more resembled a cottage up north than a house in Saginaw.

deathtopumpkins

Based on fastest driving distance via Google Maps:

2-digit Interstate: I-81 - 307 miles (Scranton, PA) - I'm missing all of I-81 north of Scranton
3-digit Interstate: I-295 - 218 miles (Bronx, NY) - only missing the portion between 695 and 95/278 in the Bronx
US route:  US 5 - 122 miles (Wells River, VT) - missing US 5 between US 302 and US 2
State route: RI 126 - 71 miles (Woonsocket, RI) - I've finished NH and MA, and the nearest roads I haven't driven in VT and ME are 120+ miles away, so Woonsocket, RI is the winner

I imagine some of these might be different if distances are calculated as the crow files rather than via driving, due to the fastest route for me to head west involving heading southeast into Mass first.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

Quote from: deathtopumpkinsI've finished NH and MA

Have you actually finished NH now?  I recall you were much closer to finishing than me last year, yet I beat you to it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.