Examples in America of Freeways where a river acts as the median?

Started by kernals12, June 15, 2022, 07:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

If you spend as much time on Google Earth as I do, you notice that one thing that's fairly common abroad are freeways that go along the banks of rivers and the river itself serves as the median

I'm guessing this saves money on right of way acquisition which is perhaps why we don't see it much in the US which historically offered more generous funding for highways in urban areas. The only example I've found is SR 54 in San Diego

Are there any others?

Rothman

Various long sections of I-87 and I-90 have creeks and rivers running down the median in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ga293

US 321/441 runs on either side of the Little Pigeon River between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

SEWIGuy

In Minnesota, Dakota Creek runs in the median of I-90 just to the west of LaCrosse, WI

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2022, 08:10:02 AM
Various long sections of I-87 and I-90 have creeks and rivers running down the median in NY.

Indeed, this section of I-90 where Canandaigua Outlet runs in the median for just under 2 miles was the first thing that came to mind

02 Park Ave

It's not a river but rather a lake, and a golf course, which separates the the northbound and southbound carriageways of the Sprain Brook Parkway in Westchester County, NY.
C-o-H

roadman65

I-135 and US 81 in Wichita has a bypass canal in its median.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zzcarp

So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2022, 09:54:29 AM
I-135 and US 81 in Wichita has a bypass canal in its median.

For those who don't know, I-135 and US-81 are same highway at that point.  Also K-15, which |roadman65| didn't mention.

Most of the time, the water is fairly low, as in the photo below.  But after heavy rains, it fills up quite a bit.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

IowaTraveler

It's not a river by any stretch of the imagination, but I-74 in Peoria, IL has a 1/2 mile section with a small creek running in the median.

kernals12

It's not like America is lacking for places where this could be done, like the Stevenson Expressway in Chicago or the 710 Freeway in Los Angeles

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

doorknob60

It's not quite a freeway, but a short stretch of US-85 in Denver, CO does this with the South Platte River. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6973348,-104.992334,2862m/data=!3m1!1e3

I don't think this is a good thing, riverside land is much better used as a park, or at the very least, a greenbelt/pathway. Taking both banks of the river for a large slab of concrete is a waste. I'm not anti-freeway, but put them somewhere else.

kernals12

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 15, 2022, 12:50:31 PM
It's not quite a freeway, but a short stretch of US-85 in Denver, CO does this with the South Platte River. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6973348,-104.992334,2862m/data=!3m1!1e3

I don't think this is a good thing, riverside land is much better used as a park, or at the very least, a greenbelt/pathway. Taking both banks of the river for a large slab of concrete is a waste. I'm not anti-freeway, but put them somewhere else.

But obviously there are reasons why they do it. For one thing, you have a lot more space to put in ramps. Since the river is already a community divider, putting a freeway around it doesn't create a China Wall effect. Also, because these types of waterways are usually incredibly polluted and nobody wants to be near them, people won't mind a noisy, fume belching highway.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6996666,-86.1483007,16z

Lick Creek runs between I-465 around the East Street interchange on the south side of Indy.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on June 15, 2022, 12:16:21 PM
Via Rapida in Tijuana.

countdown till he takes the bait

20 . . . 19 . . . 18 . . . 17 . . .
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

I've wondered if there is a cultural factor to building divided express highways with a watercourse in the median.  On casual first impression, this form of development appears to be fairly common in Spain (with examples in Valencia and Madrid) but rare elsewhere in Europe, even in countries where other types of severance corridors (e.g., railway lines) are leveraged for motorway construction.  It seems to be more usual to build the highway entirely on one bank.  Frankly, it surprises me that we have as many examples of median watercourses in the US as we do.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

This section of I-90 along the St Regis River in Montana

Quite a waste to do this in an urban area, where rivers should be centers of recreation unspoiled by the noise and air pollution generated by freeways. Seoul showed the way in 2005 when it demolished an awful elevated freeway and restored the Cheonggyecheon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-21/tearing-down-an-urban-highway-can-give-rise-to-a-whole-new-city

kernals12

Quote from: Bruce on June 15, 2022, 08:22:59 PM
This section of I-90 along the St Regis River in Montana

Quite a waste to do this in an urban area, where rivers should be centers of recreation unspoiled by the noise and air pollution generated by freeways. Seoul showed the way in 2005 when it demolished an awful elevated freeway and restored the Cheonggyecheon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-21/tearing-down-an-urban-highway-can-give-rise-to-a-whole-new-city

Cheonggyecheon was built on top of the creek, not beside it.

Also, you assume that waterways are pleasant places to be, but that's often not the case. In undeveloped countries, they're filled with sewage, garbage, and effluent.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on June 15, 2022, 08:22:59 PM
Quite a waste to do this in an urban area, where rivers should be centers of recreation unspoiled by the noise and air pollution generated by freeways.

But not every area has rivers suitable for that.  For example, the Río Santa Catarina in Monterrey looked basically like this when we drove over it on that bridge in March.  Not too inviting for recreation.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: zzcarp on June 15, 2022, 10:08:09 AM
I-70 on the east side of Vail Pass has 10 Mile Creek in its extra-wide median for a little over 3 miles.

That's not the only part of I-70 in Colorado that has a river in the median, either.  Here's the Colorado River:  https://goo.gl/maps/VbLrQw5K873MAE8D9
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Quote from: kernals12 on June 15, 2022, 08:30:24 PM
Also, you assume that waterways are pleasant places to be, but that's often not the case. In undeveloped countries, they're filled with sewage, garbage, and effluent.
We're talking about freeways here. Undeveloped countries don't have freeways.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cl94

The George Washington Parkway has a channel of the Potomac River in the median next to Arlington National Cemetery.

Schenevus Creek runs in the median of I-88 for about a mile in Worcester, NY.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MATraveler128

CA 54 between I-5 and I-805 in San Diego has the Sweetwater River as its median.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.