News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Double (or more) Bypass

Started by ethanhopkin14, June 16, 2022, 02:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I was reading the history of Cadiz, CA today.  Intersecting that the original alignment of US-66 went through the rail stop town, but a new alignment was built in 1931 further north through Cadiz Summit, making this a new town and stop on the highway.  Of course both were by-passed when Interstate 40 was built even further north. 

It got me thinking of instances where the town bypass didn't immediately get upgraded to the interstate.  There was an old road, the older road and the current road. 

I know I have seen other examples but none are coming to my mind. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

My parent's hometown of Marshall, Texas has one.  US-59 used to run down Washington Ave.  Then US-59 was rerouted onto East End Blvd. east of town.  East end was widened and a four lane expressway built beside it, leaving the old East End Blvd. as a frontage road.  Maybe this is a stretch because the old road becoming a frontage road isn't really a bypass, but interesting note that when I-369 is built through Marshall one sunny day in 2432, it will bypass East End. 

hobsini2

Lincoln, IL.

Not certain but I believe at one point, Kickapoo St was US 66 through Downtown Lincoln. Business 55 follows most of this today. Then US 66 had a bypass built west and north of town (today's Historic 66). Then I-55 was built a mile or so further out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1562327,-89.3590565,14z/data=!5m2!1e1!1e4
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2022, 03:18:22 PM
Lincoln, IL.

Not certain but I believe at one point, Kickapoo St was US 66 through Downtown Lincoln. Business 55 follows most of this today. Then US 66 had a bypass built west and north of town (today's Historic 66). The I-55 was built a mile or so further out.

Funny, I was looking at that exact situation yesterday.  Of course I am not familiar with the history there so didn't realize it was a double bypass. 

skluth

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 16, 2022, 03:30:37 PM
Lincoln, IL.

Not certain but I believe at one point, Kickapoo St was US 66 through Downtown Lincoln. Business 55 follows most of this today. Then US 66 had a bypass built west and north of town (today's Historic 66). The I-55 was built a mile or so further out.

Funny, I was looking at that exact situation yesterday.  Of course I am not familiar with the history there so didn't realize it was a double bypass.

That's true of many of the old US 66 cities in Illinois which were bypassed before I-55 was built. Bloomington's old bypass is on the east side of the city. But you can see old bypasses on the same side of the city around Pontiac, Dwight, Mt Olive, Litchfield, and even smaller towns like Atlanta and Odell.

GaryV

Grand Rapids: 28th Street (M-11) was designed as a bypass. Later M-6 came along.

hobsini2

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 16, 2022, 03:30:37 PM
Lincoln, IL.

There's a few towns that could be but I am not sure for certain that are like Lincoln along Old 66. Starting from Chicago...
Joliet/Plainfield IL: US 66 followed Joliet Rd/Rt 53. However, there is an alignment of US 66 that followed Route 126 and Route 59. I-55 was built between these alignments.

Gardner IL:
US 66 once followed Route 53 before being moved to what was Route 129 (since truncated back to north of Route 113). I-55 was built west of that.

Dwight IL:
3 blocks apart are Old 66, Historic 66 and I-55 on the west side of town. 66 at one point may have gone trough Downtown on Odell Rd. That would make it a triple bypass.

Odell IL:
Odell Rd & West St were the original 66. Historic 66 was next then I-55.

Pontiac IL:
Division & Ladd were once 66. Then Historic 66 was west of that and I-55 west of that.

Lexington IL:
Parade Rd, Wall St and Grove St were the original 66. Historic 66 was west of that and I-55 west of that.

Bloomington/Normal IL:
Main St was once part of 66 before Veterans Pkwy (Bus 55) was built east of town. I-55 was built west of town.

Atlanta IL:
Arch St was 66. Historic 66 was built east of that. And I-55 east of that.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

TheHighwayMan3561

Union City, TN whenever I-69 is finished, since they're going to build a new route beyond the existing US 51 bypass.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Heck, I-270 in St Louis on the west side, compared to US 67/Lindbergh Blvd

Could even throw in Chicago with I-294/Tri-State Tollway and US 45 (and US 12 and 20 in places)/La Grange Rd/Mannheim Rd, and IL 83/Kingery Hwy

Indianapolis with East Side I-465 and Shadeland Ave

SkyPesos

ethanhopkin14

Here is one from my home.  Congress Ave. used to be the alignment for US-81 through Austin, but before that, what is now Circle S was the old old US-81, both being bypassed by I-35 further east.  Its a small example, but it works. 

Bruce

In Seattle, the Alaskan Way Viaduct was opened in 1947 as a bypass for US 99 in downtown and was itself bypassed by I-5 less than 20 years later.

ethanhopkin14

Another one https://goo.gl/maps/k1pXgDKCUffdj85d7.

FM-1680 to CR-415 used to be the alignment for US-90, both being bypassed by I-10, albeit in a crisscrossy fashion. 

US 89

US 89 bypasses the downtown areas of several cities in the Wasatch Front, many in Utah County (Provo, Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Pleasant View) that were directly served by the original US 91, while itself being bypassed by I-15.

A similar situation exists in Bountiful, though in that case US 89/91 were moved to a long-distance bypass from Bountiful through Farmington (the original route is mostly SR 106). Most of that bypass was used for the alignment of I-15, but all of the 500 West part of US 89 in that area is still a bypass that has been bypassed.

The corridor from Atlanta to Marietta works as well. The original road is named Marietta St/Blvd in Fulton County and Atlanta Rd/St in Cobb County (as you'd expect). That was bypassed by Northside Dr/Cobb Parkway, which still carries US 41 but has now been bypassed by I-75.

TEG24601

Delphi, IN - SR 25 was routed through a neighborhood, on the north side of the railroad.  This was later bypassed on a different alignment, to the current Main St., which was later bypassed by a straight extension of Main St. to the East, only to have the entire city bypassed with the construction of the Hooser Heartland Highway, and the moving of the SR 25 designation outside of the city.

Portland, OR - US 99W, ran through downtown.  It was routed on to the Harbor Highway (later Harbor Freeway), to avoid downtown traffic.  This was the bypassed by both I-5 and I-405 (on across the river, the latter inland), and the Harbor Freeway was removed.  Ultimately, you can go further, as the entire metro area was largely bypassed by the construction of I-205 in the 80s.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

epzik8

US 1 Bus./US 1/I-95
Fredericksburg, Virginia
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

thspfc

Belvidere IL with US-20 and I-90

ftballfan

Hart and Pentwater in Michigan were both bypassed in the 1950s by Oceana Drive (old US-31), and then were bypassed again by the US-31 freeway in the late 1970s/early 1980s. In Hart, State St was original US-31 and in Pentwater, the current BUS US-31 was original US-31

TheStranger

Here's a wacky example in South San Francisco, CA:

Mission Road (original early 1930s US 101/US 101W)
El Camino Real/today's Route 82 between Colma and Chestnut Avenue (late 1930s to 1964 US 101, except 1939 when it was US 101 Alternate)
Bayshore Highway/Freeway (Bypass US 101 originally, now the current US 101)
I-280 (modern western bypass of all of this, parallel to both 101 and 82)

Chris Sampang

wanderer2575

Not sure if this counts, but Elizabeth City NC has Business US-17, US-17 proper, and Bypass US-17.  Was the business route originally the main route?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.