News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cases where one state DOT maintains something else in another state

Started by codyg1985, October 21, 2011, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There are some routes that straddle or cross over the state line between Virginia and West Virginia. West Virginia maintains all of WV 161, even though a portion of the route crosses into Virginia near Bishop where it ends at WV 16. Virginia maintains the portion of VA 127 that runs along the state line for a brief segment.

Kentucky maintains a couple of state highway segments that run along the Tennessee border in far western Kentucky.

It was recently revealed in a discussion somewhere that State Street in Bristol is actually an unsigned independent segment of TN 1. I'm not sure if that is maintained by TDOT or by the City of Bristol, since Virginia's independent cities maintain their own roads.

Signage has been well-discussed in this thread. In the late 1990s/early 2000s, Kentucky did a full sign replacement project on I-64 from the Mountain Parkway exit all the way to the West Virginia state line. This was pre-Clearview. included in the project was the first sign for the US 52 Ceredo-Kenova interchange, Exit 1, which is between the US 23 exit and the state line. Several years later, West Virginia did a sign replacement along the westernmost 15 or so miles of I-64, and that US 52 exit sign in Kentucky was included. It's Clearview.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.