Pointless US Highway Reroutes. Why???

Started by US 41, September 16, 2015, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: kkt on September 24, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
Quote from: US 41 on September 16, 2015, 08:05:24 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on September 16, 2015, 07:06:42 PM
That gets at a topic that's long been a point of contention on these boards.

Some people believe that the US numbered highway system should be a separate network utilizing surface roads where an Interstate runs parallel (such as US 11 and I-81 in Virginia). Others believe that US routes should follow the best quality route through a corridor, even if that means an overlap with an Interstate. AASHTO policies (as mentioned) support the latter philosophy.

I also tend to fall into the latter group more than the former because I believe it's more in tune with the purpose behind having numbered routes in the first place. Take the US 395/I-580 example. In the context of the Reno area, it may seem to be duplicative and unnecessary to mark US 395 on the freeway, but consider it from the perspective of the long-distance driver. He may be following US 395 for hundreds of miles from Oregon to Southern California. The US 395 freeway becomes I-580 as approaches Reno, but does it make any sense for him to exit the freeway there just to avoid duplication?

I see your point. Although I think 99% of people know that the US Routes are typically the old routes while interstates are the new ones. If I am going through Reno and I see a sign that reads "I-580 Carson City" or one that says "US 395 Carson City" and I'm in a hurry, I am going to follow the interstate. However US Routes are usually the fastest and shortest ways from town to town, which is why they are still needed.

If you're in Reno and you saw a sign for US 395 to Carson City, it would take you on I-580.  Old US 395 is now 395A.

And that's the expected thing in lots of the country.  A US route is expected to be the best route to places along it.

AASHTO should have demanded that US routes be cleaned up at the same time as the interstate opened.

My example was for if US 395 was still on its old route (US 395 Alternate).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kkt

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 24, 2015, 11:37:50 PM

Some people believe that the US numbered highway system should be a separate network utilizing surface roads where an Interstate runs parallel (such as US 11 and I-81 in Virginia). Others believe that US routes should follow the best quality route through a corridor, even if that means an overlap with an Interstate. AASHTO policies (as mentioned) support the latter philosophy.

I also tend to fall into the latter group more than the former because I believe it's more in tune with the purpose behind having numbered routes in the first place. Take the US 395/I-580 example. In the context of the Reno area, it may seem to be duplicative and unnecessary to mark US 395 on the freeway, but consider it from the perspective of the long-distance driver. He may be following US 395 for hundreds of miles from Oregon to Southern California. The US 395 freeway becomes I-580 as approaches Reno, but does it make any sense for him to exit the freeway there just to avoid duplication?

I see your point. Although I think 99% of people know that the US Routes are typically the old routes while interstates are the new ones. If I am going through Reno and I see a sign that reads "I-580 Carson City" or one that says "US 395 Carson City" and I'm in a hurry, I am going to follow the interstate. However US Routes are usually the fastest and shortest ways from town to town, which is why they are still needed.

If you're in Reno and you saw a sign for US 395 to Carson City, it would take you on I-580.  Old US 395 is now 395A.

And that's the expected thing in lots of the country.  A US route is expected to be the best route to places along it.

AASHTO should have demanded that US routes be cleaned up at the same time as the interstate opened.
I think the problem is that it's lots of area, not lots of people.

Yeah, just those small population states.  Like California.

roadman65

Quote from: Stratuscaster on September 24, 2015, 10:27:01 PM
I prefer that the US route - when/where possible - be on a parallel route to a companion Interstate. Overlapping an Interstate for huge lengths seems pointless.
Kansas and Missouri for US 40.
US 81 in Kansas, although KDOT kept it on its original alignment south of Wichita instead of pairing it with I-35. However, that has to do with US highways not being tolled, however tell that to IDOT with US 53 on the Northwest Tollway, or now DelDOT being allowed to toll US 301 in Delaware as plans are underway to build the Middletown Bypass.

My biggest peeve is why US 69 leaves I-35 in Merriam, KS to return to it just a few short interchanges later.  That is just as bad as the rest of Kansas having long overlaps as that is too short of a distance away from the parent interstate. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Stratuscaster

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2015, 01:56:44 PM
I prefer that the US route - when/where possible - be on a parallel route to a companion Interstate. Overlapping an Interstate for huge lengths seems pointless.
US 81 in Kansas, although KDOT kept it on its original alignment south of Wichita instead of pairing it with I-35. However, that has to do with US highways not being tolled, however tell that to IDOT with US 53 on the Northwest Tollway...
US 51.

I don't have an issue with US routes being tolled, for what that's worth.

US 41

Quote from: Stratuscaster on September 25, 2015, 07:21:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2015, 01:56:44 PM
US 81 in Kansas, although KDOT kept it on its original alignment south of Wichita instead of pairing it with I-35. However, that has to do with US highways not being tolled, however tell that to IDOT with US 53 on the Northwest Tollway...
US 51.

I don't have an issue with US routes being tolled, for what that's worth.

Another case of where I think SR 251 should also be converted back to US 51.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

roadfro

Quote from: US 41 on September 25, 2015, 08:49:59 AM

My example was for if US 395 was still on its old route (US 395 Alternate).

Specific to the I-580/US 395 example are two considerations:

1) The old route, between south Reno and the north end of Washoe Valley was one of the busiest and most crash-prone "rural" highways in the state. The purpose of the recent 580 freeway project was to remove traffic from that corridor. Moving the 395 mainline to the new freeway helps in that regard.

2) Rebranding the old route as US 395 Alt helps reinforce existence of the route–most of what is now 395A was formerly SR 429 & 430. The alternate route (not prominently signed from the mainline, but it is signed) is necessary for high-profile vehicle wind detours. It is now easier to refer to the single route number to follow when those wind restrictions are active.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Around here, nobody follows US routes long distance, and they're basically glorified state routes.  Most people probably couldn't even tell you why the shield is different, or even that the shield is different (heck, many people can't even tell the different between state route freeways and interstates).  If I-580 were done by NY, US 395 would have remained where it was, and "TO: I-80" shields would have been used to tell through traffic to take I-580.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.