News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sporcle street suffix game

Started by 1995hoo, October 21, 2014, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

This appears in the "Hot Games Trending Now" list on Sporcle: Street suffixes recognized by the US Postal Service. Be interested to hear how people here do on it. The average score is 19%.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/streetsuffix
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

(yes, I cheated) it doesn't have plurals like circles.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

47%.  (I'll spoil things by revealing one I didn't get: "Stravenue". These are apparently endemic to Tucson. You can find some by I-10 exit 265 near Benson Hwy. I'd provide a link, but can't find that feature in the New Improved Google Maps UI (see related thread))
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

national highway 1

They don't have 'circuit' or 'link'!  :banghead:
Real life examples:
Solent Cct
http://goo.gl/maps/LDdxz
Pondage Lk
http://goo.gl/maps/Ezc3X
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

1995hoo

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 22, 2014, 06:53:14 AM
Real life examples:
Solent Cct
Pondage Lk

They don't have "close" either, but that's because it's seeking the terms recognized by the USPS and "close" isn't in use in the US much, if at all.

I know of a street called "Gildersleeve Wood" and another called "Cavalier Corridor" (amusingly, the former  is in Charlottesville and the latter is in Northern Virginia). Neither "Wood" nor "Corridor" is on that list.

froggie

Surprised "Pond" wasn't on the list.

CNGL-Leudimin

It's not a good quiz if it doesn't accept Kyrgyzstan :sombrero:.

Anyway, motorway, really? I thought this word wasn't used in the US...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NJRoadfan

I got 30%, plus they are missing suffixes that appear in my own home town!

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2014, 07:45:12 AM
Quote from: national highway 1 on October 22, 2014, 06:53:14 AM
Real life examples:
Solent Cct
Pondage Lk

They don't have "close" either, but that's because it's seeking the terms recognized by the USPS and "close" isn't in use in the US much, if at all.

"Close" as a suffix is a British thing, possibly also seen in some other commonwealth countries. It is, however, not a standard in the US.

I know of a Long Close Road in the US.  I cannot confirm but always postulated that the developer wished to simply call it "Long Close" but the powers that be wouldn't allow it since it lacks a USPS recognized suffix. Hence "Long Close Road".

I don't know of anything ending in "Circuit" or "Link" in the US. It would make no more sense to find them in this quiz than it would make to find "Rue", "Chemin", or "Rang" (all of which are common as dirt in Quebec).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

"Rue" appears in the quiz. Perhaps it's common in Louisiana?

bassoon1986

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2014, 08:29:16 AM

Yes, although most of the time the street name becomes redundant. Ex: Rue Lafayette St.
Lafayette, LA does well with having the full French name and the full English name on its signs rather than making it a combination in Frenglish

Zeffy

Wow, I was unaware there were so many suffixes for street names... I got 27 before I started scratching my head and thinking "well, what the fuck could another one be?". And then I gave up. Oh well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

freebrickproductions

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 23, 2014, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2014, 08:29:16 AM

Yes, although most of the time the street name becomes redundant. Ex: Rue Lafayette St.
Lafayette, LA does well with having the full French name and the full English name on its signs rather than making it a combination in Frenglish
There's also a Rue Vieux Carre here in Huntsville, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

andrewkbrown

Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

mrsman

That was a challenge.  I can't believe there were so many choices.

I got a score of 50 (34%) and I thought that was pretty good.

I came up with the usual and then when I was at about 5 min left, I thought about maybe including some of the suffixes that are in some of the two word city names that I know in the area: spring, grove, garden, heights.

At times I also got a few just by going through the alphabet.  How could there be 7 choices between turnpike and vista?  Well, I got 4 of them.

It's too bad that some of the Spanish choices are unavailable.  Do you know how frequently calle and avenida are used in California?

NJRoadfan

In the local area, the following suffixes are used, but don't appear in the game.

-Turn
-Slope

My local area has a ton of non-common suffixes for some odd reason. Ironically the rarest suffix in town is "Street".

Mr. Matté

Since the game was about postal suffixes, are there any "________ Rues" in the U.S.?

Laura

I got 58/146 - 39% correct.

I got a lot of weird ones (like Ferry and Union) but forgot Avenue (facepalm)

corco

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 24, 2014, 12:40:00 PM
Since the game was about postal suffixes, are there any "________ Rues" in the U.S.?

Yeah, I was surprised to see "Rue" in there but not "Calle", "Camino", or "Paseo"- there are several streets in Tucson, including the major arterial Camino Seco, that are designated officially and entirely with Spanish names.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.