Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I dislike loud, Harley-type motorcycles, but I don't think they should be banned.

(Honestly, if bicycles and motorcycles were invented today, they'd never be allowed on the streets.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 31, 2021, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 03:27:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 03:09:36 PM
I don't like them, for a variety of reasons, and would happy for them to go away.

That's a terrible reason to think something should be banned.

for a variety of reasons is a very good reason, but I was not going to relist them all over again. And like it or not most positions boil down to preference anyway so its not that unique.

I will disagree with you insofar as you might be agreeing with the words "should be banned." I can't disagree with your statement that you "would be happy for them to go away," as that is distinctly different from banning something (and I recognize a lot of the earlier discussion was about the idea of banning them). I can think of some things I find extraordinarily annoying that I'd like to see go away–the #1 such thing is the portable basketball hoop the people two doors up the street have in their driveway–but that I would never even consider suggesting should be banned.

The wording was being succinct to avoid going into a long dissertation about undoing the distortion of CAFE via regulations, taxation, etc. with an intent realign the passenger vehicle market with more reasonable designs. But in any case a new thread has been established so I will differ to that one going forward.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on March 31, 2021, 03:31:18 PM
Continue discussion over here. Thanks.

I still don't know what that thread is about, because the topic is cryptic.

At least I know this discussion is on-topic, considering it's discussing a specific unpopular opinion.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:37:19 PM
I dislike loud, Harley-type motorcycles, but I don't think they should be banned.

(Honestly, if bicycles and motorcycles were invented today, they'd never be allowed on the streets.)

Ever been to Nutbush?  :-D

SectorZ

Some people around here are just authoritarian dinks. There's nothing really to it more than that.

The true hallmark of a person's character is their rampant desire to ban stuff they don't like.

SeriesE

True. It's more appropriate to regulate the maximum sound emissions and regularly checking in through inspections rather than banning such motorcycles wholesale.

kphoger

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 03:40:01 PM

Could someone please explain the joke to me?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SeriesE on March 31, 2021, 04:31:48 PM

True. It's more appropriate to regulate the maximum sound emissions and regularly checking in through inspections rather than banning such motorcycles wholesale.

Shoot, Harley has a patent on that ridiculous sound (not necessarily the amount of sound, but I bet they'd fight a decibel restriction with their already granted sound patent).

Chris

Tom958

I don't really care about lane discipline. I think that people who avoid the right lane unless they're egregiously obstructing traffic are doing the public a favor by equalizing wear across the road surface.

I also don't care about button copy, though I'm mindful of it as a nod to other roadgeeks.

kphoger

Quote from: Tom958 on March 31, 2021, 04:43:56 PM
I don't really care about lane discipline. I think that people who avoid the right lane unless they're egregiously obstructing traffic are doing the public a favor by equalizing wear across the road surface.

I understand your position.  I would personally rather have one lane get repaved every so often than have both lanes repaved half as often–just because I think it's less disruptive.  However, I also drive in Mexico often enough, on highways whose right lanes have been beaten up pretty badly by heavy trucks, that I respect the other side of the discussion.

Quote from: Tom958 on March 31, 2021, 04:43:56 PM
I also don't care about button copy, though I'm mindful of it as a nod to other roadgeeks.

Yeah, I don't care about it either.  Maybe it's because I have no memories of it go get me all nostalgic.
Male pronouns, please.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 04:51:41 PM
However, I also drive in Mexico often enough, on highways whose right lanes have been beaten up pretty badly by heavy trucks, that I respect the other side of the discussion.

I-10 in New Mexico has been notorious for that.  You'd see people driving in the left lane just because it's the smooth lane.  I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last couple of years.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Slower traffic should be allowed to drive on the shoulder.  It's specifically allowed by law in Texas, and other states should follow suit.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 05:37:47 PM
Slower traffic should be allowed to drive on the shoulder.  It's specifically allowed by law in Texas, and other states should follow suit.

Massachusetts allows it on a few roads, but during rush hours (6-10 AM one direction, 3-7 PM the other) only. These stretches have paved emergency pulloffs about every 1/2 mile.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 05:41:42 PM

Massachusetts allows it on a few roads, but during rush hours (6-10 AM one direction, 3-7 PM the other) only. These stretches have paved emergency pulloffs about every 1/2 mile.

The only downside of that is it removes one conduit for emergency vehicles when things are very tight.

kernals12

Noise pollution is a real problem. They should definitely have mufflers.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kernals12 on March 31, 2021, 05:45:58 PM

Well you just BANNED something, namely un-muffled motorcycles. I guess that makes you an authoritarian person of bad character now.  :-D

hotdogPi

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 05:48:21 PM

Well you just BANNED something, namely un-muffled motorcycles. I guess that makes you an authoritarian person of bad character now.  :-D

kernals12 never said banning things was authoritarian. That was SectorZ.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 05:49:22 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 05:48:21 PM

kernals12 never said banning things was authoritarian. That was SectorZ.

I am fully aware of that. Its called sarcasm.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 04:37:37 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutbush_City_Limits

Quote from: Tina Turner
Twenty-five was the speed limit
Motorcycle not allowed in it
You go t'the store on Fridays
You go to church on Sundays
They call it Nutbush, little old town
Oh, Nutbush
They call it Nutbush city limits

...On Highway 19...

SeriesE

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 31, 2021, 04:41:46 PM
Quote from: SeriesE on March 31, 2021, 04:31:48 PM

Shoot, Harley has a patent on that ridiculous sound (not necessarily the amount of sound, but I bet they'd fight a decibel restriction with their already granted sound patent).

Chris

Most efficient vehicles at converting gasoline to noise while generating no power!

Hwy 61 Revisited

I think the I-80 project in Stroudsburg is using a pseudo-3-lane design with extra-wide shoulders to be used as extra lanes during periods of high traffic, effectively making it a 5-lane highway through a town of 4,000 people.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2021, 07:16:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 04:37:37 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutbush_City_Limits

Quote from: Tina Turner
Twenty-five was the speed limit
Motorcycle not allowed in it
You go t'the store on Fridays
You go to church on Sundays
They call it Nutbush, little old town
Oh, Nutbush
They call it Nutbush city limits

...On Highway 19...

Which is the Tina Turner Highway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

interstatefan990

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on March 31, 2021, 08:19:06 PM

I think the I-80 project in Stroudsburg is using a pseudo-3-lane design with extra-wide shoulders to be used as extra lanes during periods of high traffic, effectively making it a 5-lane highway through a town of 4,000 people.

Don't you mean 4 lanes? I've never seen the left shoulder being used as an extra lane, only the right.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 08:34:08 PM
I've never seen the left shoulder being used as an extra lane, only the right.

The left shoulder is used as an extra lane on US 23 in Michigan.  https://goo.gl/maps/HRb52ttcTut1wtUx8
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 31, 2021, 03:09:36 PM
I don't like them, for a variety of reasons, and would happy for them to go away.

That's a terrible reason to think something should be banned.

I dunno. There are a lot of things that I'd be very happy to see disappear permanently. But that's not going to happen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.