News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on November 20, 2018, 10:54:48 AM
I'm presuming there will be "Last Exit Before Toll" signs somewhere? If so, where?

I am rather curious to see how this ends up. The last "exit" available before toll will be the at-grade intersection at MD 299/Sassafrass Rd. The logical shunpike route for northbound traffic will involve making a left turn at this intersection, currently a low-volume movement controlled only by a yield sign for left-turning traffic and a flashing yellow light for southbound US 301.

I suspect Maryland will end up needing to make some modifications to this intersection in order to deal with the shunpikers. This would logically entail either converting it to an actual signal, or banning turns for northbound traffic in which case the interchange at MD 290 becomes the last legal exit before toll.

Either way, any signage warning of the upcoming toll would be in Maryland and thus presumably up to SHA to install and maintain. So this will, at least in the near term, depend on how well DelDOT has coordinated with them.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on November 22, 2018, 08:29:13 AM
I suspect Maryland will end up needing to make some modifications to this intersection in order to deal with the shunpikers. This would logically entail either converting it to an actual signal, or banning turns for northbound traffic in which case the interchange at MD 290 becomes the last legal exit before toll.
It wouldn't be hard to make that northbound left turn a CFI swinging outside the weigh station. But it's even easier to ban left turns and send traffic through Sassafras.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Tonytone

I think they have to really think about what road will continue past the weigh station because they don't want people to see the Toll sign & automatically get off & drive thru middletown again, causing traffic back ups again. They will probably make it a little difficult, so traffic wont even waste their time trying to get off & they will just end up driving on the 301 anyway.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alex4897

I wonder if some of the more local traffic is going to pick up on this even simpler bypass using Edgar Price Road and DE 15:

If SHA ever decided to close the left turns at MD 299 I could see this getting busier.

(edited to fix image, looks like the site I had been uploading to is down)
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 23, 2018, 02:29:23 PM
I wonder if some of the more local traffic is going to pick up on this even simpler bypass using Edgar Price Road and DE 15:

If SHA ever decided to close the left turns at MD 299 I could see this getting busier.
That right turn is easier then the left turn aint it? & that is a simple bypass, Surprised that isnt another spur road.

iPhone

Roadsguy

Image is giving me a 403 error, anyone else?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 23, 2018, 06:28:51 PM

Image is giving me a 403 error, anyone else?

iPhone

ipeters61

Okay, here's something interesting, if you try to get directions from Warwick MD to Wilmington DE on Google Maps, it sends you up the new 301 expressway, which hasn't opened yet...
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

hbelkins

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 03, 2018, 12:46:31 PM
Okay, here's something interesting, if you try to get directions from Warwick MD to Wilmington DE on Google Maps, it sends you up the new 301 expressway, which hasn't opened yet...

Not surprising. Google jumps the gun on lots of things, including interstate designations. Our personnel have tried to get them without success to remove some of the markers that are only "future" at this time. And they won't change a wrong number they have listed for one of our facilities.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ipeters61

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2018, 12:56:39 PM

Not surprising. Google jumps the gun on lots of things, including interstate designations. Our personnel have tried to get them without success to remove some of the markers that are only "future" at this time. And they won't change a wrong number they have listed for one of our facilities.
Yeah, DelDOT is dealing with the same thing.  As one member wrote...GPS is not god.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

They have the whole thing marked, and not even as a freeway, nor did they "unyellow" the old road.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alex4897

👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

And yet, it took weeks for them to recognize the new I-95 ramps in PA with the PA Turnpike, which some people saying that Google only does updates periodically.

Clearly the excuses are going both ways.

ipeters61

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 03, 2018, 03:10:29 PM

And yet, it took weeks for them to recognize the new I-95 ramps in PA with the PA Turnpike, which some people saying that Google only does updates periodically.

Clearly the excuses are going both ways.
That was my first thought when I saw this.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

Don't tell them. It's so close to opening that if they revert it, they'll be weeks late all over again.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on December 03, 2018, 06:54:19 PM
Don't tell them. It's so close to opening that if they revert it, they'll be weeks late all over again.

Only report 301 still being shown on its original alignment if it's still like that when it actually opens.

Tonytone

When does the 301 open? On Christmas?

iPhone

ipeters61

Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 03, 2018, 09:49:03 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on December 03, 2018, 09:23:56 PM
New Years 2019

Oh wow this is my 301st post.  :-D
The last thing they had said was December. Whoops. And congrats!

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on December 04, 2018, 01:05:40 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on December 03, 2018, 09:49:03 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on December 03, 2018, 09:23:56 PM
New Years 2019

Oh wow this is my 301st post.  :-D
The last thing they had said was December. Whoops. And congrats!
Yea thats what I remember hearing, a December opening. Maybe that might be in the next week or two, Im ready to spend $4 to drive on the new 301!!!!

iPhone

ixnay

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but go to https://blogs.deldot.gov/category/us301/us-301-project-updates/ and click on the blue portion of the line "Written on: [date written on] in US 301 Project Updates, US301" for the latest update.

This week, the link still shows bridge work, widening on U.S. 13, and paving work at the state line.

As for promotion of the toll road, I received a postcard from DelDot yesterday promoting the new toll road.  I believe I'm on DelDOT's mailing list. Has anyone else received this postcard?  It still shows 1/1/2019 as the projected opening date.  I agree that officials probably won't give up a holiday to cut a ribbon, but back in the day, July 4 IIRC was a favorite holiday to break ground for major projects or celebrate completion (breaking ground for the first stretch of the B&O Railroad comes to my mind).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Beltway

Quote from: Tonytone on December 04, 2018, 01:25:11 AM
Yea thats what I remember hearing, a December opening. Maybe that might be in the next week or two, Im ready to spend $4 to drive on the new 301!!!!

Is that $4 each way, and does the amount vary by time?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on December 12, 2018, 06:39:03 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on December 04, 2018, 01:25:11 AM

https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicTollRateUS301
There's two tolls on the facility - one that is $3 when you cross the state line, plus another $1 to enter & exit the highway. Local traffic would pay $1, and a thru traveler or local traffic crossing the state line would pay $4.

As far as I'm aware, there's no off-peak or peak times, it's always that toll rate.

I honestly think it's messed up to charge $4 simply to cross the state line, especially if you're not going using the facility for more than 2 miles. It now forces local traffic down narrow 2 lane roads just to enter the town without having to pay $4 each time. IMO, the toll should be waived for locals in that area, as long as they don't ride the entire facility from the state line to SR 1.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 12, 2018, 07:33:41 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 12, 2018, 06:39:03 AM
https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicTollRateUS301
There's two tolls on the facility - one that is $3 when you cross the state line, plus another $1 to enter & exit the highway. Local traffic would pay $1, and a thru traveler or local traffic crossing the state line would pay $4.
As far as I'm aware, there's no off-peak or peak times, it's always that toll rate.
I honestly think it's messed up to charge $4 simply to cross the state line, especially if you're not going using the facility for more than 2 miles. It now forces local traffic down narrow 2 lane roads just to enter the town without having to pay $4 each time. IMO, the toll should be waived for locals in that area, as long as they don't ride the entire facility from the state line to SR 1.

So you won't be able to connect between MD US-301 and DE-299 to Odessa without paying a $4 toll?  That's awful.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 12, 2018, 07:33:41 AMI honestly think it's messed up to charge $4 simply to cross the state line, especially if you're not going using the facility for more than 2 miles.
I agree but I-95 just north of the Elkton, MD/Newark, DE border has been charging that rate for years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.