News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Haven't been around lately

Started by JMoses24, January 29, 2019, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

I hadn't posted on here in a hot minute, so figured I should pop in.

I've been sick for the last 4.5 months. It began with a pressure wound. Somehow I got an infection, and the infection in turn became sepsis -- which nearly ended me.

I have since had 6 surgeries (2 at the beginning to find the source of the infection and put in a colostomy & 4 plastic surgeries to close various wounds) with a 7th still to come. I'm currently in a long term acute care center in OKC.

I had thought of hosting another road meet in either OKC or Cincinnati (the latter pending me having time for travel since I would be coming home from out of town) sometime this spring. Obviously neither one is happening at this point, I'll probably shoot for not this fall but next. I just can't do it and give it the attention I need to this year.

Some good thoughts would be appreciated (I've gotten messages from a few folks).

adventurernumber1

I am incredibly sorry for the pain and issues that you have gone through lately. I hope you make a good recovery, and all of us here wish the best for you. My best prayers, wishes, and good thoughts are out to you. I hope you get well!
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kurumi

I'm glad it didn't defeat you. The road to recovery can be long, but you'll be happy when you've clinched it. Take care of yourself, and you'll be sure to see us at a future road meet!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kevinb1994

Get well soon! I sent you a direct private message on FB.

kphoger

Boy, oh boy!  Thanks for checking in and giving us an update.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JMoses24

Well I got news...and it wasn't good.

Because of either a failure in communication or just somebody's outright failure to do the job that they should have, I am now forced to undergo yet ANOTHER surgery tomorrow back at OU Medical Center.

The site of a skin flap done on January 25 has become macerated and several of the stitches are again starting to come loose. Additionally, fluid has collected under the flap. This is primarily caused by a failure to change the sponge that is used with the wound vac I've had since last Tuesday. Therefore, I have been (tentatively -- because you know how it goes with last minute surgery decisions) scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning at 11.

formulanone

All the best to you, and get well soon.  :thumbsup:

kphoger

Quote from: JMoses24 on January 29, 2019, 06:19:17 PM
or just somebody's outright failure to do the job that they should have ... primarily caused by a failure to change the sponge that is used with the wound vac I've had since last Tuesday.

Medical care just isn't what it was thirty years ago.  Less staff per patient, and those who are left often don't seem to possess the ability to see the big picture when it comes to patient care.  It's often left to the patient to let the doctors and nurses know what needs to be done, which is definitely not the way things should be.

I pray the best for you and that you find light in the darkness of frustration.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JMoses24

6 months later...

I finally came home from a six month long stay in multiple hospitals on June 3, 2019, with a wound vac attached to my right thigh. The 1/30/19 surgery ended up being the last one I required. I have been doing physical therapy as well as seeing multiple doctors since then. I do not know when I'll be able to travel long distances again as I do need home health care 3 times a week, so for now, any trip to Cincinnati is off the table.

Continued good thoughts would be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I'd still like to host an OKC road meet. It will likely be fall 2020, so I can fully recover.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Glad to hear that you're still able to sit upright.  :cheers: :thumbsup: Best wishes for you going forth.  :clap:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

JMoses24

So, another update:

I had to (unbelievably) battle another bone infection in my leg in August. I have been making a fairly steady recovery. I was cleared by both doctors for a trip to Alabama and to Kentucky this week, so I'm here until Sunday and then in Alabama Monday into next Wednesday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.