News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A couple of Baltimore area questions

Started by mgk920, July 15, 2011, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Looking over the maps and so forth of Maryland and the Baltimore area in particular, I was wondering what the final buildout plans were for:

A - the north end of the MD 10 freeway at I-695; and
B - the north end of I-195, where it curves sharply westward at MD 166/Rolling Rd?

I can safely assume that both potential extensions are now only a matter of historical record, correct?

Mike

1995hoo

I-195 was never planned to extend beyond MD-166, although it definitely does look kind of like something was planned.

Steve Anderson states the following regarding MD-10:

QuoteAs proposed in the 1964 Baltimore Metropolitan Area Transportation Study, which incorporated the city's aggressive "10-D" expressway construction program, MD 10 (cited as the "Arundel Freeway" in the study) was to continue north of I-695 through the Curtis Bay and Brooklyn neighborhoods in Baltimore City between Curtis Avenue and the CSX ore pier. It was to have an interchange with I-895 between EXIT 7 (MD 2 / Hanover Street) and EXIT 8 (Frankhurst Street), then parallel MD 2 to its planned northern terminus at I-95 near EXIT 54 (MD 2). As I-95 was to have been routed north along the Inner Harbor instead of through the Fort McHenry Tunnel, the I-95 / MD 10 interchange was to have been a "T"-interchange with I-95 movements to the north and west, and MD 10 movements to the south.

The northern extension of MD 10 likely was canceled by the time the city's less disruptive "3-A" expressway program was approved in 1969. The absence of the I-95 and I-895 connections likely was another reason why the "Glen Burnie Bypass" alternative was considered for I-97 instead of the "Arundel Expressway" alternative.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OCGuy81

I looked at a map of Maryland the other day.  Does I-70 actually end at a Park and Ride?  Or is it unsigned east of 695?

1995hoo

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 16, 2011, 02:18:21 PM
I looked at a map of Maryland the other day.  Does I-70 actually end at a Park and Ride?  Or is it unsigned east of 695?

Officially it ends at the Park and Ride facility, but the signs on eastbound I-70 state that it ends at I-695. I've always assumed the signs are like that to minimize motorist confusion by discouraging thru traffic from continuing past the Baltimore Beltway. Look at that map again and you'll see that if you don't exit at I-695, you either have to exit onto Security Boulevard (which takes you back towards I-695 anyway) or else turn around via the Park and Ride. There's no real reason for about 99 percent of drivers ever to go past I-695 there.

I assume you know the reason it's like that is because of the freeway revolts 40 to 50 years ago. I-70 was supposed to continue on through those parks you see on the map east of there. Its planned endpoint varied over the years as the plans were revised, but the best-known plan had it ending at I-95 roughly where Exit 51 is today.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Michael in Philly

Signage on 70 eastbound itself may indicate that it ends at the Beltway, but the last time I was on the Beltway (at least the outer loop) the eastbound stub is clearly marked as I-70.  Your choices are 70 West - Frederick and 70 East - Local Traffic.

And talking of "Local Traffic," when I was growing up, along US 22 in western Union County, N.J., there was still a gap in I-78 between what is now exit 41 and NJ 24.  We missed 78 east on the way home from our high school prom in 1982 because 78 eastbound, at 287, was marked "Local Traffic," without the route number.  So we saw 78 west, no indication of 78 east, and kept going until we came to 22.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 16, 2011, 02:18:21 PM

See for yourself at https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0070ecmd

FWIW, there are no reassurance shields for Interstate 70 posted east beyond Interstate 695.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 16, 2011, 02:38:15 PM
Signage on 70 eastbound itself may indicate that it ends at the Beltway, but the last time I was on the Beltway (at least the outer loop) the eastbound stub is clearly marked as I-70.  Your choices are 70 West - Frederick and 70 East - Local Traffic.

And talking of "Local Traffic," when I was growing up, along US 22 in western Union County, N.J., there was still a gap in I-78 between what is now exit 41 and NJ 24.  We missed 78 east on the way home from our high school prom in 1982 because 78 eastbound, at 287, was marked "Local Traffic," without the route number.  So we saw 78 west, no indication of 78 east, and kept going until we came to 22.

Local to the area? I was actually on that section of I-78 before it opened to traffic. Signing on the eastern stub was strange as well, they basically signed the highway continuously as NJ-24.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 22, 2011, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 16, 2011, 02:38:15 PM

Local to the area? I was actually on that section of I-78 before it opened to traffic. Signing on the eastern stub was strange as well, they basically signed the highway continuously as NJ-24.

It was only signed NJ 24 Westbound.  EB it was I-78 and east of I-287 it was only signed "Local Traffic" from the I-287 interchange.  From CR 525, Old CR 527 SPUR, and CR 531 all signed it as I-78.  Newark and New York directional guides told EB I-78 motorists to use I-287 SB as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: mgk920 on July 15, 2011, 12:19:29 PM
Looking over the maps and so forth of Maryland and the Baltimore area in particular, I was wondering what the final buildout plans were for:

A - the north end of the MD 10 freeway at I-695; and
B - the north end of I-195, where it curves sharply westward at MD 166/Rolling Rd?

I can safely assume that both potential extensions are now only a matter of historical record, correct?

Mike

You might want to try wickepedia as I found the answer to why there is an unbuilt freeway at the I-695 and MD 702 interchange that way. 

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2011, 09:59:12 PM

You might want to try wickepedia as I found the answer to why there is an unbuilt freeway at the I-695 and MD 702 interchange that way. 

yeah, just watch out for pages edited by the Wicked Witch of the West.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

That is the problem with submitted information!  The information is only as good as the one who supplied it!  Whoever did NJ County Route 525 did not know what they were talking about as they got the intersection with US 22 all wrong.  It supposed to be Thompson Avenue and not Chimney Rock Road.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.