News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 20, 2019, 09:52:36 PM
This surely would be a pipe dream, but they need to connect US 301 with US 130 and really make it one continuous highway, if possible.
Why?

kevinb1994

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 20, 2019, 09:55:25 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 20, 2019, 09:52:36 PM
This surely would be a pipe dream, but they need to connect US 301 with US 130 and really make it one continuous highway, if possible.
Why?
The route numbers are quite similar to each other.

Beltway

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2015, 11:58:32 AM
I just saw the US 301 video, and that gives me reason to believe that it will eventually connect to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It would make a great route for those who wish to avoid Baltimore and Washington.

It does already, with the minimum segment design being an at-grade expressway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 20, 2019, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2015, 11:58:32 AM
I just saw the US 301 video, and that gives me reason to believe that it will eventually connect to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It would make a great route for those who wish to avoid Baltimore and Washington.

It does already, with the minimum segment design being an at-grade expressway.
I think he was maybe referring to freeway design. Which quite frankly would be easy seeing as US-301 is fully limited-access with some at-grade intersections. DelDOT has been closing them off one by one over the years, hopefully eventually it'll become a full freeway, and they'll increase the speed up to 70 mph.

1995hoo

I really didn't miss being on a freeway on Maryland's portion of 301 on the Eastern Shore, though a higher speed limit would be nice. There was very little traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 20, 2019, 10:23:10 PM
I really didn't miss being on a freeway on Maryland's portion of 301 on the Eastern Shore, though a higher speed limit would be nice. There was very little traffic.
Agreed. It could easily be 65 mph (or if -anything- 60 mph like a Virginia highway), and if ever a freeway, 70 mph default. Limited-access, spread out intersections, and has the cross section of an interstate (12 foot lanes, 10 foot shoulder) and a wide median. But long-term ultimately the goal should be to convert the intersections into overpasses, interchanges, or close them.

And especially (and this gets fictional) if the long talked about eastern DC bypass is built, and if the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is given a 3rd span as proposed as an option for the "new crossing", there would likely be an influx of traffic using this routing warranting a full freeway.

1995hoo

^^^

I had the cruise control set at 60 on Maryland's portion. Didn't pass too many people, but I did get passed by a good number doing 70+. I just didn't feel motivated to go any faster on that road, especially since I'd seen some cops on past trips.

ipeters61

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 20, 2019, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 20, 2019, 10:23:10 PM
Agreed. It could easily be 65 mph (or if -anything- 60 mph like a Virginia highway), and if ever a freeway, 70 mph default. Limited-access, spread out intersections, and has the cross section of an interstate (12 foot lanes, 10 foot shoulder) and a wide median. But long-term ultimately the goal should be to convert the intersections into overpasses, interchanges, or close them.

And especially (and this gets fictional) if the long talked about eastern DC bypass is built, and if the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is given a 3rd span as proposed as an option for the "new crossing", there would likely be an influx of traffic using this routing warranting a full freeway.
According to the second caption on this page, there was a time when US-301 in Maryland had a 65 MPH limit.

As a personal anecdote, I've found that coming from Dover to go to the Bay Bridge (via DE-8/MD-454 and MD-302), it's never too difficult to cross US-301 to go southbound, but that's just due to the low traffic that there is today.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

sprjus4

Low speed limit on a high quality road. They claim it was because people couldn't pull out? I see plenty of roads in almost every state but in the Northeast that handles 65-75 mph divided speed limits fine, most are non-limited-access with driveways, etc. Even Virginia and North Carolina permit 60 mph, and there roads are lower quality then Maryland's interstate-grade limited-access roads that could be easily be 70 mph, but due to some intersections, it's 55 mph. And not to mention, Maryland's highways have what many don't - acceleration and deceleration lanes. Full shoulders, limited-access on most divided highways, gentle curving, etc. Their highways were designed for high-speed travel at 65 - 70 mph. Set the speed limit appropriately and leave it. 55 mph is underposted. At least post 60 mph if nothing else.

Almost any divided highway or two-lane road in Texas is default 70-75 mph. Yes, a lot of times there's lighter traffic than up here, but a lot of those Texas roads in question do actually handle a significant amount of traffic volume, and there's still no issues driving that fast in regards to driveways and intersections.

I just don't buy the claim to be honest, or if it is true, people have never driven anywhere outside of the Northeast and don't know how to use an acceleration lane.

ixnay

MDOT's 2019-2020 Maryland Official Highway Map is out (I got it today at the Chestertown Visitors Center), and it shows not. A. Trace of the 301 toll road, or even any u/c status thereof.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

kevinb1994

Quote from: ixnay on June 27, 2019, 03:14:38 PM
MDOT's 2019-2020 Maryland Official Highway Map is out (I got it today at the Chestertown Visitors Center), and it shows not. A. Trace of the 301 toll road, or even any u/c status thereof.

ixnay
I'm guessing that they forgot, or they don't give a crap.

ixnay

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 27, 2019, 03:56:51 PM

ixnay

Probably the latter.  ;-)

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

sparker

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 28, 2019, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: ixnay on June 28, 2019, 07:59:16 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 27, 2019, 03:56:51 PM

ixnay
Probably the latter.  ;)

ixnay
Your guess is as good as mine. Lol

Unless there's some inter-state and internecine deal to which we aren't privy, MD isn't making any significant $$$ from the DE tollway -- so it's probably a good assumption that they just don't care!   

epzik8

Bit of a tangent here, but maybe I'll get to go on the toll road sometime and get to experience toll-by-plate (don't have an E-ZPass).
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

PHLBOS

Quote from: epzik8 on July 12, 2019, 05:55:52 PM... maybe I'll get to go on the toll road sometime and get to experience toll-by-plate (don't have an E-ZPass).
Just be aware that the Toll-By-Plate (TBP) rates are higher than the E-ZPass rates.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tolbs17

Is this a good alternative to relief traffic from I-95? I hate toll roads but i will use this one if I have to if traffic is backed up on there.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 25, 2019, 02:32:53 AM
Is this a good alternative to relief traffic from I-95? I hate toll roads but i will use this one if I have to if traffic is backed up on there.

One thing to know is that after Labor Day weekend this year, there is to be some significant work on the Bay Bridge that's expected to cause traffic issues there:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2019/07/major-delays-expected-at-bay-bridge-much-of-next-two-years/

ipeters61

Speaking from personal experience, once you're past the Bay Bridge (not too difficult outside of the summer...in the summer it can be rough especially on weekends) and on US-301 on the Eastern Shore of MD, the trip is a breeze.  On the Delaware side, there's not much traffic to worry about either.  The next choke point would possibly be DE-1, particularly between Exit 156 and I-95, but again it's usually okay outside of rush hour and summer weekends.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jeffandnicole

If it's a prime time to head to the beaches (Friday & Saturday), US 50 ain't gonna be any better.  Otherwise, it shouldn't be too bad.

tolbs17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2019, 09:05:27 AM

If it's a prime time to head to the beaches (Friday & Saturday), US 50 ain't gonna be any better.  Otherwise, it shouldn't be too bad.

I-95 should get the express lanes extended from white marsh to Delaware. So I gused I-95 is better to use.

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 04:05:24 PM

I-95 should get the express lanes extended from white marsh to Delaware. So I gused I-95 is better to use.
Keep in mind I-95 is $8 more expensive northbound and $4 more expensive heading southbound compared to US-50 / US-301 / DE-1 if you're trying to follow the cheapest route.

Alps

I-95 badly needs capacity between Baltimore and Delaware. It drops from 8 lanes to 6 lanes at the MD border toll plazas with no change in traffic volumes. It is always congested and often moves below the speed limit in the 6 lane section. If that requires toll lanes to get it built, so be it. Better than the status quo.
(Or finish the US 1 freeway from PA to Bel Air. But that's fictional now.)

sprjus4

Quote from: Alps on July 27, 2019, 04:24:22 PM
It drops from 8 lanes to 6 lanes at the MD border toll plazas with no change in traffic volumes.
It drops at MD-24, not the MD / DE border.

Either way, just another reason to avoid that part of I-95 between DC and Wilmington.

tolbs17

I-95 badly needs capacity between Baltimore and Delaware. It drops from 8 lanes to 6 lanes at the MD border toll plazas with no change in traffic volumes. It is always congested and often moves below the speed limit in the 6 lane section. If that requires toll lanes to get it built, so be it. Better than the status quo.
(Or finish the US 1 freeway from PA to Bel Air. But that's fictional now.)

Yeah, there was a lot of trucks and one time I got backed up on it. The real problem with widening is on the Susquehanna River.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 27, 2019, 04:29:27 PM
It drops from 8 lanes to 6 lanes at the MD border toll plazas with no change in traffic volumes.
It drops at MD-24, not the MD / DE border.

Either way, just another reason to avoid that part of I-95 between DC and Wilmington.
I'm going south when I'm referring to the drop...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.