News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Coyotes moving to Tempe / East Valley of Phoenix metro area

Started by Pink Jazz, November 14, 2016, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

According to this article:
https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-announce-plans-for-new-east-valley-arena/c-283720238

The Arizona Coyotes are in exclusive negotiations to build at new arena in Tempe at the corner of Rio Salado and McClintock.

This new location will be closer to where most of the fanbase lives (in the East Valley) as well as being more centrally located for the Phoenix area as a whole. I am glad this got picked over the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Reservation, which isn't as centrally located except for Scottsdale residents.

Max Rockatansky

Well Glendale just got totally screwed.  Wasn't the current stadium paid for by the city?  The Coyotes have never had a huge following in the Valley, they ought to just move on to a Canadian city or somewhere up north. 

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2016, 04:48:49 PM
Well Glendale just got totally screwed.  Wasn't the current stadium paid for by the city?  The Coyotes have never had a huge following in the Valley, they ought to just move on to a Canadian city or somewhere up north.

At least they are moving closer to where most of the fanbase lives, in the East Valley.

Max Rockatansky

At least it looked like ASU might get some access to the facility and it seems to be developed more from the private side.  I loved going to see the Red Wings when they were in town when the Coyotes were still in America West.  You were basically right on top of the game since it was such a small arena and it was super easy getting there since it was in downtown. 

Alps

I'm amazed they aren't moving to Quebec, Kansas City, Seattle, or Hartford.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: epzik8 on November 14, 2016, 09:15:35 PM
Their current arena isn't even that old.

It's not a good precedent to set for professional sports in Phoenix.  Granted it reads like there is a lot of private money involved with the move to Tempe and the City of Glendale has basically done everything it possibly can to make the lease agreement untenable.  What I'm not getting is how does a team like that stay viable?  Maybe things have changed since I lived there, but the team was in terrible shape with revenue and ticket sales.  Most of the crowds that would show were probably a 50/50 split with the Coyotes.  I'm still skeptical about this whole Las Vegas thing too...the desert just doesn't seem to be meant for professional hockey in the long term. 

So what's next?...the Diamondbacks asking for a new stadium?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2016, 10:14:15 PM

It's not a good precedent to set for professional sports in Phoenix.  Granted it reads like there is a lot of private money involved with the move to Tempe and the City of Glendale has basically done everything it possibly can to make the lease agreement untenable.  What I'm not getting is how does a team like that stay viable?  Maybe things have changed since I lived there, but the team was in terrible shape with revenue and ticket sales.  Most of the crowds that would show were probably a 50/50 split with the Coyotes.  I'm still skeptical about this whole Las Vegas thing too...the desert just doesn't seem to be meant for professional hockey in the long term. 

So what's next?...the Diamondbacks asking for a new stadium?

The Suns currently have the oldest facility in the Valley, and at one point the City of Phoenix did consider building a new arena that would be shared between the Suns and the Coyotes.  With the Coyotes moving to Tempe, I am not sure what will be in the future for the Suns now.  Ironically though they seem to be making the least fuss about wanting a new arena.

Pink Jazz

Looks like the deal for the Coyotes to move a shared facility with ASU is now dead.

I personally think the ideal location would be in the Riverview area of Mesa near Sloan Park.  Putting the arena on the reservation does not solve the distance problem, since it would only be convenient for Scottsdale residents and not for those in Chandler, Gilbert, or Queen Creek which also have a significant fanbase. Riverview's location would be central enough for the entire East Valley including Scottsdale.

ET21

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2016, 08:58:40 PM

A lot of people are. Quebec must return!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

So much for that move to Seattle...I still think that the NHL is out of place in the desert. (Nothing against the new Las Vegas franchise, though...)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on February 21, 2017, 09:48:40 AM
So much for that move to Seattle...I still think that the NHL is out of place in the desert. (Nothing against the new Las Vegas franchise, though...)

It was always seeing the Red Wings play at America West though, you'd swear it was a home game.  Holy crap could you tell who was from Michigan at the intermissions with how many smokers were outside.

hotdogPi

I still think that the NHL is out of place in the desert.

Parts of Arizona (like Flagstaff) do get a lot of snow.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Bruce

Seattle won't be able to take a new NBA or NHL team until a new arena is built. It's currently tied up in a messy political battle because of the Port of Seattle's concerns about traffic (and potential office development on their land nearby).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2017, 12:12:01 PM
I still think that the NHL is out of place in the desert.

Parts of Arizona (like Flagstaff) do get a lot of snow.

About 100 inches in fact...the Mogollon Rim is a bottle neck point for storms.

Pink Jazz

Looks like the Coyotes are considering three different sites in Mesa:
http://www.azfamily.com/story/34654422/coyotes-meet-with-mesa-about-possible-stadium-at-sloan-park

The preferred site is near Sloan Park (the Chicago Cubs spring training stadium).  Other potential sites include the Fiesta District, as well as Downtown Mesa.

dvferyance

Yeah really it's like what 13 years old? It's bad enough they are replacing sports facilities that are barley over 20 years old and now we are replacing ones that aren't even a decade and a half old?

hm insulators

You know, if the Coyotes would field good teams that make the playoffs on a regular basis, the fans will drive out to Glendale! The "Doggies" have been a crap team for years. :pan: Tell me why somebody should drive all the way out to the hockey arena, pay for expensive parking, buy an expensive ticket (if they don't already have one in hand), eat expensive food and drink expensive beverages only to watch their team stink up the joint! And the team's owners want us taxpayers to pay money for that shiny new arena they're begging us to build for them? Yeeesh!

Send the Coyotes back to Winnipeg, and while we're at it, send the D-backs there, too.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: hm insulators on March 15, 2017, 12:00:22 PM

Send the Coyotes back to Winnipeg, and while we're at it, send the D-backs there, too.

The trouble is the Altanta Thrasers moved to Winnipeg to became the currents Jets incarnation. I guess they could amalgate the Coyotes and the Current Jets just like the amalgated the Cleveland Barons (former Oakland/California Seals) and the Minnesota North Stars in 1978.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hm insulators on March 15, 2017, 12:00:22 PM
You know, if the Coyotes would field good teams that make the playoffs on a regular basis, the fans will drive out to Glendale! The "Doggies" have been a crap team for years. :pan: Tell me why somebody should drive all the way out to the hockey arena, pay for expensive parking, buy an expensive ticket (if they don't already have one in hand), eat expensive food and drink expensive beverages only to watch their team stink up the joint! And the team's owners want us taxpayers to pay money for that shiny new arena they're begging us to build for them? Yeeesh!

Funny how things change over course of a decade and a half.  Back when the Diamondbacks won the World Series almost everyone in the city was a Broncos fan and could care less if the Cardinals skipped town.  Now things have completed reversed and the Diamondbacks are in the gutter.  For some reason the Suns have always been the beloved team in the city.  Nobody really ever cared about the Coyotes, I guess some things never change.

Buck87

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2017, 10:49:06 PM
For some reason the Suns have always been the beloved team in the city.

Makes sense to me. They were the first team to put Phoenix in the big leagues, were the only team there for a 20 year period, were the first to represent Phoenix in a championship round, and have been fairly consistent at producing winning seasons for most of their history.

Sounds much easier to love that than a rebranded Canadian hockey team, a twice relocated NFL team with a mascot that has nothing to do with Arizona, and a baseball team that started off awesome but then changed their colors and have been mostly mediocre for over a decade.

Pink Jazz

Looks like the tax kickback bill is now mostly dead. That leaves only tribal land or moving out of Arizona as the only two options.

If tribal land is chosen, I think it should be near the new Phoenix Rising FC soccer stadium. I know many have suggested building the arena up by Talking Stick Resort, however, that would mostly exclude the fan base in Chandler and especially Gilbert, both of which have almost as large of a fan base as Scottsdale.  A location near the new soccer stadium would be more central for the entire East Valley.

dvferyance

Quote from: ET21 on February 21, 2017, 09:20:04 AM

Move the NJ Devils there NYC area does not need 3 teams. I doubt Hartford will ever get another team at 130,000 it was the 2nd smallest major league city after Green Bay.The northeast coast has enough teams with Philadelphia, NYC and Boston.

Alps

Quote from: dvferyance on March 28, 2017, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: ET21 on February 21, 2017, 09:20:04 AM

i'm ignorant of hockey revenue
move one of the warm weather teams

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.